vertige x reviews?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

lagow8
Pain Boater

vertige x reviews?

Post by lagow8 »

My girlfriend and I are looking at buy a oc-2. We would love to get a Blast but we are both in school and poor. I found a vertige x for pretty cheap. Is is a good boat? Does anyone have any reviews or advice for us on good oc-2 boats. I paddle a taureau and she paddles a nitro.

Thanks for the help,
John
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

Yeah, it's a good boat. Not much to choose from if you're looking for a used & cheap OC-2 anyway, so Caption, Vertige X, Probe 14, whatever you can find...

There's no reason to pass up a deal on a Vertige X.

Pat.
TonyB
CBoats Addict

Post by TonyB »

if I was looking for a oc-2 Id prob get a Vertige xitd be less playful than a blast, but if its in good condition and you still rather have a blast there maybe someone who got a blast and rather have something less playful. Vertige x is a great boat.
Proud Yankee
marclamenace
CBoats Addict

Post by marclamenace »

The vertige X is great, and will also last you longer than the blast, which is build on the nitro and deto-like double railing bottom.

Also you can put gear for self-support trips on the vertige X if you are minimalist enough, the blast would be hard.
Watch out; that river has rocks on the bottom. :o
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

Good point about the double-chine! My friend paddling solo worn through his Blast pretty quick, and I've seen the same in Detonators.

Pat.
fleckbass
CBoats Addict

Vertige X

Post by fleckbass »

I know a couple that has one and they love it. She told me that she was afraid of the blast. Since, they have run some good stuff like Ocoee, NRG, etc. Probe 14 would probably be good too.
I went raftin' once. I think it was in Ohio.

http://www.easternpaddling.com
golder
CBoats Addict

Post by golder »

i haven't tried the vertige x, but for what its worth, the wife and i have a triple saddled probe 14. we've really been enjoying it. i paddle a nitro solo (just got a spanish fly, woohoo!!). the probe is stable and predictable. it has been a good boat to get the mrs more interested in open boating.

good luck w/ the search....
lagow8
Pain Boater

Post by lagow8 »

Thanks for all the input. I am actually now throwing the caption into the mix and wondering what ya'll think about this boat. All the reviews I have read sound great. Love to hear from others with experience.
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

I know some people seem to think the Caption is sportier, and perhaps the Vertige X is a little heavier, at least it feels that way.

But, to me, all those 14' tandem ww boats (Caption, Verige X, Probe 14) are pretty much the same in the big picture, and personal preferences comes down to splitting hairs.

Not that they're wet boats, but both the Caption and the Vertige X will take in water at mid-ships. I haven't paddled the Probe 14 much, but don't like the Mohawk triple outfitting anyway.

Pat.

p.s. I paddle a Vertige X.
marclamenace
CBoats Addict

Post by marclamenace »

The vertige X will track better than the caption, which is more playful. The vertige X will run class III-IV rapids, the caption will take you to the class V stuff, if you (and your wife!) dare.

The pocket canyon is also an interesting tandem option, but you probably won't find one used yet.
Watch out; that river has rocks on the bottom. :o
cadster
CBoats Addict

Post by cadster »

I've been paddling a Probe 14 a lot this summer. It's a good boat for III+ tandem with a partner without strong whitewater skills.

I've spent a limited amount of time in a Caption, too. My impression is that the Probe 14 is a sportier than the Caption. The Caption has fuller ends and the Probe 14 has more rocker.

Some folks may not like a triple saddle, but it's really nice to be able to paddle a boat in solo or tandem mode. The triple saddle is probably the simplest way to accomplish that switch.

You should go to Wausau during one of the citizen slalom events to try different boats. There's usually is a good OC turnout.

The Dagger Dimension is a popular boat in Colorado. It combines whitewater ability and the space to carry overnight gear.
milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

Just to throw another boat in the mix, consider the Bell Nexus. One of my friends who is a very experienced tandem paddler and loves Dagger Dimensions just recently got a Nexus and likes it better than the Blast or Caption.
Don Beyer
Pain Boater

Post by Don Beyer »

Our Vertige X was downright hilarious surfing the hole at Swimmers on the LY this weekend. Surprisingly dry in the hole. Well, most of the time... Lots of fun!
fleckbass
CBoats Addict

Tandem Canoe

Post by fleckbass »

One boat I've seen people paddle tandem and thought it would be hot was the Outrage X.
I went raftin' once. I think it was in Ohio.

http://www.easternpaddling.com
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

True, you could try converting an Outrage X, Rampage, ME, Genesis, H2Pro, etc., but I'd think that would only be recommended for pretty light-weight pairs.

Pat.