trip report

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Brendan
C Guru

trip report

Post by Brendan »

So I took half dozen teens and two other Dad's on the New River Gorge this weekend for a raft trip. Ended up going with ACE- they had some extra stuff to keep the guys entertained (lake with all sort of fun stuff to bust your A** on. )

This was my first time in a raft- for the first part of the day I just kept noticing how much I wished that I was in my C-boat, and had to get used to only paddling when our lovely guide told me to. I also found that I was freqeuntly sticking a brace out there with no need. Once I accepted my reality for the day I was able to let go and get into it- we did the jump rock, the greyhound surf, the splashing other folks, the whole deal. What was realy cool was that one of the rafts in our group was made up of a crew of deaf folks. They had an interpreter sitting up front, facing the guide in the back, signing what they were supposed to be doing. They did great!

Here was the boat count on the NRG on Saturday- a gazillion rafts, 1 shredder, a few dozen yakkers, 1 C-1 and zero open boats. Level was a little under 2 feet.

Now I got a group of young men who want to hit the Gauley. Maybe it would be cheaper just to buy a used raft! :o
Brendan