Drysuit Recommendations

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

sganarelle
Pain Boater

Drysuit Recommendations

Post by sganarelle »

Ok, so I have been normally a fair weather paddler. Now that I am getting more serious about this I will need more serious gear.

What kind of dry suit should I be looking for? I am an open boater. How should I size it?

I looked at Kokotat suits this morning but they literally all look the same.

What say ye of cboats?
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

Get a a drysuit with the following features:
- relief zipper
- built in socks (goretex socks are more comfy than latex).
since you are in an open canoe, you don't need the skirt tunnel, If you think about getting nto decked boats, get one with the tunnel.

As far as size is concerned, put the suit on when you try it out and getinto a boat. Try all the movements that ocurr when paddling. Make sure that you have adequate range of motion and that there is no excessive stress on any seam.
Your suit may end up being quite big. I for instance am 6'1" and 185 lbs, with ong arms and legs and a short torso. I ended up getting an XXL suit for range of motion alone.

As far as Material is concerned, Goretex is still the best IMHO. The other breathable coatings don't seem to last quite as long.

TGG!

Good brands are Kokatat, Stohlquist, Immersion Research, Level 6.
I have not seen the suit yet, but I like the concept of the PeakUK one.
As undergarment, a one-piece fleece suit like the IR Union Suit is hard to beat for warmth and comfort.
Last edited by the great gonzo on Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
Louie

Post by Louie »

Andrew Westwood got me a team Stouliquest goretex one that is greatbut look at Haley/Hanson also. What ever you do don't go with coated nylon. I personally like a PVC one, I know it don't breath but if it is cold enought to ware a drysuit I ain't goin to be sweatin anyway.
kenseb
c

Post by kenseb »

IR Double "D" .
dafriend
C Guru

Post by dafriend »

I've been exceedingly happy with my Kokatat Gore-Tex front entry suit (GFE).

Nice thing about Kokatat is that you can send the suit in periodically and have it tested and patched for a very reasonable cost. It doesn't matter how many leaks they fix the cost is the same. The expensive part is shipping as the testing/patching cost is trivial.

FWIW, the sizing chart on the Kokatat site did right by me. At 5'11" with 38" waist and 32" inseam large would seem the choice. But I wear a size 48 coat and so went with chest size. XL works perfectly leaving room for the multiple Polartec layers needed for typical Minnesota Spring/Fall river runs.

Dave
Yukon
Yukan Canoe

Post by Yukon »

goretex is best last longer, however the Tropos fabric that Kokatat uses is very comfortable hardly feel anything on. I hve only used their Tropos 2 aand they have a new Tropos 3 fabric
Get the relief zipper and booties.
Get one with out a tunnel, extra bulk that has no purpose for canoes. and is a pain in the butt.

I have used kokatat for a long time and they have been great.
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

kenseb wrote:IR Double "D" .
Seconded for comfort alone, but Palm are also very good, and Kokatat will outlast all others (and bloody well should at £700)

I was playing with a PeakUK one at their factory shop the other week, and I think its a duffer, the zipper really impeaded the range for my legs, not ideal when you have to reach the kneeling position.
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

We paddle all year in the Pacific Northwest, so we wear drysuits from October into June. (Summer begins in July.) I really like the Kokatat goretex front entry suit. Right now Outdoorplay has a deal on them where you get a free liner. See http://www.outdoorplay.com/store/Produc ... PDS_KTGFDM

One way to save money on this drysuit is to buy it from REI at one of the points of the year when they give members a 20% off coupon good on any one item.
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

What Gonzo said PLUS: When you try on the suit, make sure you have the thickest layers you'd ever wear to paddle.

I have a Kokotat. A buddy bought a Level 6 last winter & it looks real nice. The only things I don't like about the Level 6 is that there is no heavy material at the knee, seat or elbows. I suspect they'll fix that in future models. I have a Level 6 dry-top that is top quality.

Get the relief zipper & Gore-Tex socks. Buy an extra neck gasket & put it in the closet. Do NOT get a pocket on the thigh.
Crash
C Boater

Post by Crash »

Kokatat for sure!Relief yes,gotta get rid of the beer.socks yes, warm dry feet.Wear baggy shorts may look a little funny,but helps abrasion from wearing out the butt.
C-Ya+Ride Safe
Crash
golder
CBoats Addict

fit questions

Post by golder »

so i've been looking at used drysuits, and dont know of anywhere in town to dry 'em on for size (i'm in asheville if anyone knows of anywhere....diamond brand doesn't have 'em yet, i'm waiting for rei to open this morning...). naturally, all the used suits i've been able to find are a ways away. do most folks go with the sizing listed on the size charts, or do you bump up a size to account for layering underneath?

i know its better to try one on first, and it would certainly be my preference, but it looks like that might not be an option for me....

right now my options look like:
stohlquist (1 size up)
kokotat (1 size up)
palm (1 size up)

any input or suggestions? thanks ya'll.
ain't nothin but water, rocks, and gravity
marclamenace
CBoats Addict

Post by marclamenace »

Nearly all boats I've bought were used, but not my drysuit. Used are hard to find and never ideal.

I actually ended up paying more for my dry then any of my boats, but never regretted it. You absolutely need one when paddling up here and you use it quite a lot; summer is short. Kokatak goretex with socks are the top for me, construction is though and they fit nice.

I did buy with tunnel at the time even I was not in decked boats yet, never found it was annoying and the price difference was minimal. Now I got into C1ing and am happy I did.
Watch out; that river has rocks on the bottom. :o
RodS
Pain Boater

Post by RodS »

You can't beat Kokatat for customer service. I sent one in for a neck gasket replacement, and they ended up replacing the suit because the material was delaminating.
Eli
The Canoe Guru - CBoats.net Sponsor

OS Systems

Post by Eli »

Check out OS Systems. They used to only have custom sized suits, but now they offer suits off the shelf. They are completely American made and I've been happy/warm with mine for years. I agree that you need a relief zipper and booties attached. The best booties I've ever had were neoprene...although I am content with the goretex/sympatex.
When in Doubt...Paddle Forward!
www.thecanoeguru.com
Lennart
Pain Boater

Post by Lennart »

about the level six suits , They have a ew one (coming) called poseidon, it has no skirt tunnel , but has reinforced knees and seat. It looks realy good for the open boaters. I like my barrier suit for decked paddling. I use it a bit for open boating as weel no problems this far on the knee or anywere else
Propper Writing in English, how do you do that, with dyslexia, bad hand eye coordination, ect. and in a foreign language
sorry fore all the mistakes.