Resurrecting an old beluga

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Pierre LaPaddelle
CBoats Addict

Resurrecting an old beluga

Post by Pierre LaPaddelle »

Hey folks

My first solo boat was a Piranha, designed by the incomparable Nolan Whitesell.

As the years passed, solo boats got shorter and edgier. As I added to my quiver, the old beluga got relegated to the dust and weeds behind the shed.

Recently, at my wife's friendly suggestion, ("If you don't deal with those #@*+@# boats, I'll take a chain saw to them. . .") I decided to reconsider the merits of the old girl. (The Piranha, that is, not my wife.)

Noting that the length of the Piranha (14'3") was about the same as many new tandem boats, (the Vertige-X is 14'), a light went on, and I bethought to convert the Piranha to a tandem boat.

Now, I'm up to my parts in parts. I'm carving foam blocks like Rodin reborn.

So here's my question -- has anyone else tandemized a Piranha?

Any suggestions as to configuration, seat placement, etc., would be gratefully received.

Thanks!
C'est l'aviron. . . !
Yukon
Yukan Canoe

Post by Yukon »

I have one as a tandem, a composite one. heavy as hades and fitted with 2 perception saddles, fun boat, have not paddled it very much but when I did I had a good time in it
Pierre LaPaddelle
CBoats Addict

Post by Pierre LaPaddelle »

THANKS, YUKON, for the response.

I'm full speed ahead -- looking forward to trying it on the water.

My Piranha is also composite, from Western Canoeing in Abbotsford. Yours too???

Your comment about perception saddles and weight of your boat made me chuckle. The two ideas are possibly related??

I tried them, many years ago. I think if I owned two perception saddlels, I would sell two of them!
C'est l'aviron. . . !