Technical questions re downriver canoe racing

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Glenn MacGrady
C Boater

Technical questions re downriver canoe racing

Post by Glenn MacGrady »

I believe there are WW canoe racers here.

Some discussions on other forums about the efficiency of paddle types, paddler positioning, paddling technique and hull shapes made me curious about the current state of the art in whitewater downriver canoe racing.

As to solo and tandem (if different) downriver canoe racing among the technically-minded top competitors:

1. Do they kneel like slalom racers and river cruisers or sit like flatwater racers?

2. Do they use straight or bent shaft paddles?

3. Do they stay on the same side with correction strokes or switch sides like flatwater racers?

4. Do they prefer swedeform hulls as do marathon and Olympic racers?

Thanks.
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

I am hopefully some of the folks you hope to attract will post here, who are far more knowledgable than I.

That said, having read almost every post here, and talked with a lot of different folks, the answer is 'all of the above'. Certain "generations" will paddle one style, or from a certain area. It all seems to depend on the driving person (be it a coach or athlete in that area).

When someone consistently gets a podium spot, folks often emulate their technique. Sometimes it is an improvement - sometimes it is not (what works for one person may not be the best for another).

There are some Wildwater racers here, though not many (there are not many in this country, for that matter). There are likely some folks on this board, however, that could put you in touch with folks who know the current state of the art when it comes to technique.

Your other option is to check out the races (particularly international) on YouTube.
Keep the C!
Adam
cbcboat
CBoats Addict

Post by cbcboat »

I was at a race last weekend and the National Team C1 and C2 paddlers were there. Keep in mind this is Wildwater boat specific. They all kneel, used straight shaft paddles, and did NOT switch sides- they used a lot of boat lean and hip action to turn/correct the boat. as for boat design, I don't know much about Wildawater boats, but there aren't alot of options in Wildwater Cboats. Maybe this helps. Oh yeah, the C1 beat all other boats in the race, including the C2 and wildwater K1s.
B
Glenn MacGrady
C Boater

Post by Glenn MacGrady »

What directly prompts my questions is a theoretical argument about whether straight paddles are biomechanically "more efficent" than bent shafts for kneeling paddlers. One theoretical argument says, yes. That contradicts my personal experience over 25 years of preferring bents over straights while kneeling in flatwater. However, I am loath to extrapolate a general "rule" from my personal experience.

I have always believed that racers will find the most efficient paddles, hulls and techniques in their respective paddling disciplines.

Marathon canoe racers and outrigger canoe racers all paddle sitting with bents. To me, the efficiency debate in those areas of canoe paddling has long been answered.

But that doesn't provide a racer-experience answer as to whether bents or straights are more efficient for kneeling paddlers. So, I asked myself: Who might race kneeling with bents? It occurred to me that downriver canoe racers might be such a group.

If downriver WW racers have decided to stay on their knees, but have also moved from straight shafts to bent, that would provide at least some empirical evidence to me that these racers are finding bent shafts to be more efficient than straights.

By "efficiency", I mean faster. Obviously, you can maneuver better in WW with a straight and longer shaft.

Actually, I claim the first bent shaft run of the Hudson River Gorge (from Newcomb, actually) back in the mid-80's. But I extrapolate nothing from that experience either -- other than that I didn't attempt a whole lot of dynamic eddy turns.
kaz
Millbrook Boats - CBoats.net Sponsor

Post by kaz »

Glenn,

It's been a few years since I've raced downriver but I've always kneeled in C1 and sat in C2. I'm more stable kneeling in the C1, although "they" say it's not as efficient as sitting. I think that sitting, you are more rigidly planted in the boat and more power can be diverted into the actual paddle stroke. As far as paddles, everyone I know of in the OC downriver world uses bent shafts, typically Zavs.

Jkaz
cbcboat
CBoats Addict

Post by cbcboat »

So are you refering to bent shaft flatwater type paddles that are really more of a bent blade, or are you refering to a bent shaft ww paddle that is really a true bent shaft. You could assume that a bent shaft would be more efficient as it allows for a longer more efficient stroke-meaning it can reach farther forward and pushes down on the water for more of the stroke than a straight. But certainly with the flatwater bents they are more fragile which is why they don't get used as much for ww. The bent ww paddles seem to be less prevelant which may be why more don't use them? I don't see why it would matter whether you are kneeling or sitting would affect the performance of bent or straight. obviously ww paddler kneel for better stability, but sitting allows to use your legs to push a little more to engage the core muscles with flatwater racing. I would say that a bent paddle would be more efficient around the board, but don't have scientific evidence to back that up. I certainly use a bent shaft for flatwater, but haven't shelled out the $$ for a bent ww paddle.
good luck on your quest
B
icyone
C Guru

wildwater

Post by icyone »

Fisrt off, for wildwater check out

http://www.usawildwater.com/

and the many links therein. You will find plenty of information there; and can post questions as well. John Pinyerd is an experienced WW C-1 who is always ready to encourage C-1's in parrticular.

As for marathon, I don't have an organization website offhand, but can proudly offer up photos of my dau & friends:
http://www.ausablecanoemarathon.org/SusanLedy.html

and from the AuSable web page I'm sure you can find other links to the Triple Crown & other organizations.

As for technique, things have changed somewhat with boat designs; I do know that Andy Bridge told me he paddled either side with equal comfort, and at that time switching was pretty common at least to optimize in rapids. I think it may be less popular today, but being a wuss I couldn't really say.

As for efficiency, consider that marathoners paddle essentially flat moving water, for VERY long periods. They don't paddle gnarly class 4 rapids. They do what works for their conditions. Hence seated position, switching, bent shafts, etc are pursued & optimized. (I know of a couple of marathoners who took a shot at high kneel a while back, and gave up the quest. Haven't heard whether it is still being pursued.)

I do find that wildwater in general has borrowed more & more from flatwater, in the attempt to paddle the fastest, tippiest boats possible to get down the course. Many veterans feel that the difficulty of the rivers chosen for major races has decreased as a result of that pursuit.

Hope this givew you some food for thought & some leads to google.

"That's all, folks..."
Glenn MacGrady
C Boater

Post by Glenn MacGrady »

Kaz says everyone he knows uses a bentshaft, but cbcboat reports the national team using straights -- if I am reading correctly. Not sure how to reconcile these two reports.

I didn't realize there was confusion about the term "bentshaft". I am not talking about a curved or spooned powerface blade shape. I am talking about a paddle where the blade bends away from the shaft at the throat -- a la the Zaverals.

Biomechanical stroke theory and practical racer experience yield the same answer in flatwater marathon racing and Olympic sprint racing. In flatwater marathon, theory and practice both say that the seated paddler with a bentshaft will be the most efficient. In Olympic sprint, theory and practice both say that a high kneeling paddler with a straight shaft can go the fastest.

The area of ambiguity is the paddler kneeling on both knees, as all WW solo paddlers do and many solo FW paddlers prefer to do.

Here is the theory argument in favor of straight shafts for kneeling paddlers. We start with the concept that a paddle provides the most propulsive power when perfectly vertical -- 90 degrees to the water surface -- and the least propulsive force when it is horizontal. According to John Winters (and common sense), a paddle stroke is most effective when it is within +/-10 degrees of vertical.

This leads to the concept of a "paddle box" or "stroke box" -- which is the longitudinal distance, relative to you and the hull, where the paddle should be planted into the water and then removed from the water. The idea is that the paddler shouldn't plant the paddle in front of the box, or keep it in the water after the box, because the paddle will be too horizontal at the beginning and the end of the stroke. It will be "pushing down" water at the beginning of the stroke and "lifting water" at the end of the stroke -- both of which rob the stroke of effective forward vector propulsive force.

This leads into the question of sitting vs. kneeling and bentshafts vs. straight shafts. Theory and racers agree that, when sitting, the body cannot torso rotate as much as when kneeling. Sitting, you rotate only from the waist; kneeling, you can rotate further because you can twist from your knees. Therefore, when sitting, the stroke box begins at about your knees whereas, when kneeling, it begins in front of your knees. Similarly, the stroke box ends further back for a sitting paddler (around the hip) than it does for a kneeling paddler (around mid-thigh).

Theory and flatwater racers agree that, because the seated torso can't rotate and plant very far forward, a 12 degree paddle bend creates the most powerful stroke box.

Theory would further suggest that if a kneeling paddler fully torso rotates for a paddle plant, a bent shaft paddle will enter the water too horizontally. Hence, goes the theory, the kneeler should use a straight shaft for the most powerful stroke box.

My question is whether it makes sense for the kneeling paddler to fully torso rotate, and this is what prompts me to look for actual racing experience among kneeling paddlers. It does make theoretical sense to me for racers to do so, but it doesn't make practical sense that the average cruiser will do so. Hence, I wonder whether the average kneeling paddler at cruising speed wouldn't get a more powerful stroke box using a closer plant and a bent shaft paddle. That's my personal experience. But I may be a duffer.
Longboatin
CBoats Addict

Post by Longboatin »

I use a bent shaft exclusively in WW and i can assure you there is no issue with manueverability. Kneeling or sitting it gives the most efficient forward stroke, the most important stroke. The only issue would be a boater that cant Jstroke but only pry (goon stroke) for steering. Otherwise, most people I boat w/ use bents, and our boating is the better for it.
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

Glenn,

Kaz is talking about OC when he refers to bent shafts, cbcboat is talking C1 and C2.

That may be part of your answer - folks who kneel tend to still be using straight shafts, folks who are sitting are using bent shafts.

I personally can bend further forward while kneeling than while sitting (I'm not that limber), I wonder if that, and where the body has the most power in the stroke, is what is defining what paddles folks are using currently.

Did you ever paddle with Jim Underwood? He used to paddle the Hudson quite a bit in the late 70's early 80's....in a WildWater boat....
Keep the C!
Adam
Roy
C Guru

Wildwater vs. downriver

Post by Roy »

Hi,

I think Glenn's observations, made one post up, have to do with ICF decked C-1 wildwater racing vs. ACA open canoe OC-1 downriver racing.

I have done just a couple downriver races but at those races (including the Nationals a couple years ago) just about everyone is sitting, using bent shafted paddles, and doing hit-and-switch style paddling...at least for the majority of the race. In the tougher rapids, some people switch to kneeling. And, when I say "bent shaft" I mean paddles which resemble the flatwater marathon paddles...very short, very bent. Clayton tells me there was once a very good downriver racer from the SE who didn't switch sides and used a straight shaft...but, he only knows of one.

Decked boat wildwater paddlers seem to kneel, not switch sides to make the boat go straight, and use straight or nearly-straight paddles.

I assume the length of race and difficulty of the water combine to be cause the difference in style and gear.

Roy
kaz
Millbrook Boats - CBoats.net Sponsor

Post by kaz »

Glenn,
Yes I was referring to Open Canoe downriver racing, not wildwater which means decked boats.
Also I sent you a PM regarding a different matter.
Jkaz
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

Hi, Glenn. I recently got to do a 14-mile flatwater canoe race (a 2 1/2 hour race that was SUPPOSED to take just less than 2 hours :x in Cortland, NY) and an 8-mile whitewater (class 1-2+) downriver race (a 1 1/2 hour race that was SUPPOSED to take just less than 1 hour). Both were done in a whitewater lay-up dowriver racing OC-1, using my whitewater racing Mitchell paddle. It was a good comparison between the types of river racing and gear the boaters bring. Lessons learned: bring the same boats AND paddles the hard-core racers are using if you want to do well; add a factor of 1.5 to the predicted race times. :evil:

You probably already know that everyone racing the flatwater event were using Jenson boats (mostly graphite) and Zav. paddles (ALL graphite)--excepting for me. I sat the whole time and it felt to me that the whitewater blade stayed too heavy and created too much grab and drag to be efficient for that time and distance. The slalom-length shaft ended up being WAY too long for that race, keeping my top arm too high (impeded best blood flow to the shoulder and arm muscles).

A few weeks later, I did the Nelson County 8-mile downriver race in the same boat using the same paddle. Only one OC-1 racer (in a Wenonah and using a bent-shaft Zav.) beat me, by just 12 seconds! I switched between kneeling through rapids and sitting on flatwater and quite a few rapids. For me, kneeling had mostly to do with stability and boat control through the rapids. The curved blade maximized my boat control, but there was enough flatwater that I lost best paddling efficiency with the paddle. Because of the straightness of the boat, I stayed with my dominant grip going through the more technical rapids and used corrective/cross strokes. Not sure the bent shaft would have been effective during those moments. But then again, I'm not really an efficient downriver racer.

Hope at least one sentence helps you. Good questions. Mike W. needs to weigh in on this! 8)

KNeal
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
John Coraor
CBoats Addict

Post by John Coraor »

Glenn:

Just to clarify the question about different "types" of "bent shaft" paddles, most references to "bent shaft" refer to the marathon-style paddles that have a single bend at the throat that changes the angle of the blade approximately 12-15 degrees from the shaft. However, there are also some paddle manufacturers that offer an allegedly ergonomically designed shaft that has a double bend just above the throat for a "more natural hand position." In these shafts, the blade typically remains parallel to the main part of the shaft. These types of shafts are more often used by decked boat paddlers, particularly kayaks, although there are C-1 versions available. Some manufacturers refer to them as "double torque" shafts, but sometimes the term "bent shaft" is used in reference to these shafts as well, hence the confusion.

Following is a link to a Galasport "double torque" kayak paddle shaft: http://www.galasport.cz/catalogue/index ... uct_id=159

...and one for a Galasport "double torque" canoe paddle shaft: http://www.galasport.cz/catalogue/index ... uct_id=167

I hope that this clears up the confusion.

John
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

KNeal, Good joke :lol:

I just got back from attaining on the Roanoke in my Viper (decked C-1) w/ my Zaveral Power Surge Outrigger Light while switching sides. I use a bent-shaft whenever I want to go fast. It doesn't matter if I'm racing downriver in decked or open boats, marathon or attaining in whitewater. The primary reason being that my bent-shaft paddles are the lightest ones I own which translates into a higher stroke rate. I read somewhere that a small blade, while giving less bite can be paddled at a higher rate will be faster & I agree.

By bent-shaft I mean Zaveral Power Surge Outrigger Light for solo & a Z Medium for tandem. Each weighs 10oz. I bought the outrigger paddle for the larger blade, but it messed up the steering when paddling tandem as I had more bite than my stern paddler.

My straight paddles are much easier to roll & brace with. For some reason the Zavs dive when swinging out for the set-up (probably just me & not the paddles). For that reason I tend not to play as much w/ the Zavs.

I've raced my OC both sitting & kneeling. Kneeling is much more stable, but sitting & using the foot brace seems faster since I can use my legs to push with. Most* of the fast downriver paddlers sit. I say "most" because Kaz kneels :wink:

Switching sides (& grip) is faster than staying on one side & doing cross/correction strokes. Just remember that any stroke other than a forward stroke is slower than a forward stroke.

KNeal has my downriver racer right now, but I think it's a swedeform. It's an old Gene Jensen design, the C1W. That said, most of the top competitors (& board members) in the ACA Downriver camp paddle Old Town Penobscots. I think they are generally symetrical, but they're all pulled in to reduce rocker, narrow the boat & make 'em faster. I think a swedeform is faster, but it's also pretty narrow in the bow which makes it wetter.

If you want to freak out folks at a slalom race, show up w/ a marathon paddle :lol:

I think you'll find that generally the fastest downriver racers will sit & switch w/ marathon type paddles in whichever boat they use.

Oh wait! I just re-read your post. You asked about "technically-minded top competitors" HA HA HA I'm just a hack also-ran so disregard everything I've typed :lol: