Introducing the Esquif L'edge

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

xmas0c1c1k1
CBoats Addict

Post by xmas0c1c1k1 »

maybe esquif can do some sort of pedestal for a strap setup that would work for c1's i mean talk about making the whole cboat community happy with this project that would be it
boathead
C Guru

Congrats Craig

Post by boathead »

Fellow Badger boater Barry the Boathead here. Very impressive sir. You have come far Pilgrim since the Whitewater Specialty days when we used to boat upon the Wolf, Red and Pike rivers togather as newbies. Looks like you used the best concepts of the Prelude: P.E., traditional "canoe" shape, sans the beach ball shaped bottom, Spanish Fly, Skeeter, and Ocoee. No doubt Dooley will like it, Louie? Hey maybe if you tell Dewey it is a souped-up Ocoee, he'll stroke it once or twice! The only bad thing I can see about it is figuring how I can afford to purchase one on a raft guide's wages. Again Craig, congrats and great job. Somewhere on a river, Frankie has gotta be a grinnin!
....................................The Boathead............................................
"You don't beat this river, Chubby"..........
Louie

Post by Louie »

I might, if it is as dry as Decker says and boof half as good as a Teaureau I can learn to live with it bein so long.
Mr.DeadLegs
CBoats Addict

Post by Mr.DeadLegs »

Any thoughts on doing Multi colored PE? And build the stretch version first!!!!!!
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways totally worn out, shouting "Holy large steaming pile of dog doo what a Ride" " Nolan Whitesell
oc1paddlr
CBoats Addict

Post by oc1paddlr »

tell us more about that lip looking thing at the chine.
paddlr
red boat ready
dan.
Pain Boater

Post by dan. »

I am calling dibs for the demo at Gat fest!
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

Alden & cbcboat... for folks that like to "keep the boat moving" it should be a lot of fun. Hope you enjoy it.

Helly... 27"-ish and 16" but those numbers can't be finalized until we're able to mold them.

Craig Smerda... your video skillz are lacking... although you look a bit like him... Ron Howard you are not! :roll:

gumpy1114... Roy didn't have a ruler with him... but that's about what he figgered. I've used the roll to dump method in eddies with the Spanish/CU-Fly before when full to the gunnels and no place to get out. It works. 8)

xmas0c1c1k1... I agree... but first we need to get the hull and standard bulkhead outfitting one's done. I loathe straps... but seeing how some folks like them and it's better for the demo/fleet/instruction boats... we'll try to do something at some point. All in due time. :wink:

boathead... Thanks Barry... it's been a looooong road. :D (BTW... Dewey was the second one to paddle it... I think I saw a smile on his face?)

Mr.DeadLegs... since this will be the first "in house" rotomolded canoe for Esquif I think it's safe to say we'll most likely start in one or maybe two colors. What happens from there we'll have to see... but I love multicolored boats... crazy looking ones at that!!! As much as I'd love to say... "sure" to doing the "ten-four" right away we'll have to wait and see how the standard size does first. Although Esquif is in Quebec... it isn't quite the North Pole. :lol:

oc1paddlr... lip?

dan.... I hope there's a long line behind you. :wink:
Last edited by Craig Smerda on Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mr.DeadLegs
CBoats Addict

Post by Mr.DeadLegs »

What do you think the LIPS on the bottom of the boat will do on creeky rocky stuff, do you think it will be a constant hanging of edges or do the photos not show the whole story.
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways totally worn out, shouting "Holy large steaming pile of dog doo what a Ride" " Nolan Whitesell
Mr.DeadLegs
CBoats Addict

Post by Mr.DeadLegs »

It would be fun to paint the bottom to look like a mouth with Hillbillly teeth.
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

Mr.DeadLegs wrote:What do you think the LIPS on the bottom of the boat will do on creeky rocky stuff, do you think it will be a constant hanging of edges or do the photos not show the whole story.
Mr.DeadLegs wrote:It would be fun to paint the bottom to look like a mouth with Hillbillly teeth.
Nuthin to fret over... they're about an inch higher than the planing surface of the hull... like on the original SpanishFly and the CUFly. Shouldn't be an issue unless your sideways... and in which case you may have bigger things to worry about. :lol: I'm a firm believer in running straight ahead... especially in a boat that isn't round like a cigar.

My first two canoes were painted up to look like giant sharks... hmmm? :roll:
Longboatin
CBoats Addict

Post by Longboatin »

Hey Longboatin wants to get in on that follow the leader beer fest! Howz boat it I think I can hitch a ride to Nats w/ a slalom racer, then Ill follow you down that run and ifn I dont swim you buy the kegger? Lets do it. Plus I guess Ill give the shortboat grail its due, ifn all yins on here say that boat looks great, then there has to be somethin to it. So if ya can spare a demo ill be out to try. Additional bet though, when Im putting the LEdge though its paces, you can follow me in the longboat. This run flips buys the beer. Whadda say Smerd? You might only be out 2 kegs.
bigspencer07
Pain Boater

hey....what a dynamite looking boat!

Post by bigspencer07 »

Hey Craig.....not only would Frankie be proud, I think he'd be a bit jealous. Thats one great looking boat....and a nice yellow too..;-)
Louie

Post by Louie »

LOngboat you get to the Nanty and I'll come pick you up we can do something besides the Nany however. At a Min. the Ocoee and the Narrow would be what I would really like to see you on. hades the first time I did it I was in an Encore and that is only like what 3 foot shorter than what you are paddlin. What is the min lenght of boat you will paddle?
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

Who was it that said I didn't smile? :lol:

Longboatin...I figgered you'd be thrilled to death... it's not an iddy-biddy-rodeo-boat as you like to refer to any boat shorter than 13'-2"!!! Speaking of which... let's make the big challenge a triple-crown series and throw a row-day-oh into the mix as long as we're at it. :lol:

bigspencer07... thanks

Louie... well as much as I agree that Longboatin' and I will probably never see eye to eye on the boat length issues... at least he isn't sitting on his can and using a double bladed training paddle... gotta give him that much. :wink:
Last edited by Craig Smerda on Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Louie

Post by Louie »

Jim Little said he wants one, no decks btw. He has a Teaureau I sold him two years ago and I think he has been paddlin twice in the last two years. I figure he wanted sumthin to keep his Teaurea company in the garage. Bailey might want one also his Quake has bound to have "dry" rotted by now. I will talk to the "boss" at the plant, I want one with the long gunnels and the decks, then I will just router the decks downsix inches at a time till I get them where I want them, I will save what I router out and hot air weld them back together so the next time Andrew wants to cut some holes in my decks, I'll just hand him the cut out and tell him to go to town.

Doopey and I were on the Cheoah yesterday and I was thinkin about the new boat a lot. The boof factor is not the main issue on the Cheoah but the dryness is.

Are you still goin to come down for that romantic weekend with Rosco? If so I figure while you two are gettin reaccunated and bondin the GDI and I might test drive the prototype, don't worry about it being glass we hardly ever hit a rock, that sayin we use of dads " it not if you hit a rock or not , it is if you hit a rock and bounce the right way" is just a sayin. Also despite what some people say lettin us test drive you boat would not be like turnin your daughter over to a bunch of drunk Cheacoula Appachies. One other thing I think Rosco told me your sister won the Miss congeniality award at the internation steamfitter convention or am I misquotein him?