New to C-1 - suggestions on Boat

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

popetim
c

New to C-1 - suggestions on Boat

Post by popetim »

Hi Folks, Im an OC for twenty years - not too accomplished but hope I'm not a total newb either. I currently paddle a Whitesell Descender and recently a Spanish Fly (love both!). I'd like advice on the world of c-1 - I primarily want a c-1 to go down a 1-3 class river with some ability to rock hop, though the Fly takes care of a lot of that, and I've never learned to roll so that's on my agenda too. Right now I'd go with a good beginners boat even if it means upgrading later on - I'd like to progress in the c-1 fast as possible but realizing I'm basically starting from scratch as a beginner here. Thanks, Tim
Jon Serfas
C Boater

Post by Jon Serfas »

I've got a h:3 c1 conversion for sale on this forum. good, stable boat with friendly edges. fully outfitted with bags and skirt.
JON SERFAS
marclamenace
CBoats Addict

Post by marclamenace »

The H:3 is a VERY good suggestion, some great choices out there just make sure to avoid those small boat under 8 feet or so or with too little volume in the ends. Those are fun but keep'em for later.

You'll love to learn rolling in a C1. You can spend a lot of time looking at the fishs and rocks at the bottom without filling the boat up.

Have fun!
Watch out; that river has rocks on the bottom. :o
RobertM
Pain Boater

Post by RobertM »

As a relative WW newbie, (20 years in a sea kayak, 2 in a WW kayak and then I decided to quit screwing around), I don't have a lot to compare to, but I can't say enough good things about my Cascade.

When I started looking my C1 friends all told me to try and hunt up a Cascade and I did. I found it fairly easy to learn to roll, and very comfy and forgiving, but, as I said, I've got very little to compare it too.

I think the thing that drives my recommendation is, wherever I show up with the boat somebody says something to the effect of "dam, I used to have one of those, I wish I'd never sold it"

On the downside, it's big, its heavy. and the are all getting a bit long in the tooth, but it is a pure hoot to paddle.

My $.02
RobertM
Pain Boater

Post by RobertM »

Oops, meant to mention this was my first year with the Cascade.