Suggestions for faster and looser boat than my big EZ

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

oopsiflipped
CBoats Addict

Suggestions for faster and looser boat than my big EZ

Post by oopsiflipped »

After a minor outfitting meltdown this weekend, I'm thinking about getting a newer playboat instead of redoing this one. Any suggestions for a good bigwater playboat? At 200 lbs, I'm a little heavy for the big EZ. More hull speed and looser edges would be nice.
xmas0c1c1k1
CBoats Addict

Post by xmas0c1c1k1 »

if you are just doing big water I've always thought the shaggy designs composite boats look pretty slick. They are expensive though. I liked my cr 250 alot and im around your weight but it was tough to throw it down the stern had alot of volume to get around on ends and loops or at least that was my excuse. You might be able to do a cr 125 and it would be more "playable" but squirrelly. The project 62 seems to have alot of fans
oopsiflipped
CBoats Addict

Post by oopsiflipped »

cr 250 is on the radar. maybe the big biscuit. i want to not get thrown around too much on the lochsa at higher flows so the 125 is out. buddy has a large flirt and that thing looks effin huge.

$ wise composite is out of the question.....
cbcboat
CBoats Addict

Post by cbcboat »

I've got a CR125 and I'm about 195, haven't had it on more than Class III yet but I may bring it over to the Lochsa ths weekend, you could check it out. The large Biscuit does look pretty sweet too. Have also paddle the Large Flirt and it is large but very forgiving, good RR/Play boat. by the way we may come over for Saturday only but we'll see.
Cheers
B
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

I think 200lbs. is fine for the Big EZ. That boat likes steep waves, but you've noticed it's slow.

I don't paddle my Big EZ much since I got my Shaggy Sith. The Sith is faster, wider (more stable) & spins like a dream 8) Also there's a feeling you get in 'glass that plastic just can't compare to.

Did I mention that my Sith weighs a solid 20lbs :o
oopsiflipped
CBoats Addict

Post by oopsiflipped »

and retails for what? $2500? must be nice. that's more than my last 2 cars put together cost. :wink:
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

Nah, it's only $1,800 CANADIAN. That's almost free in our $$ (actually it's $1,473.62). You get some say in the color(s), lay-up & cut too. You know it'll be more fun that a couple of $1,200 cars!

They like to build all Carbon boats, but will make 'em colorful if you want. Mine is the red/yellow/blue/metal-flake one about 2/3rds of the way down the Sith page.

http://www.shaggydesigns.com/
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

The Sith is it!
If I could have only one boat in my quiver, the Sith would be it.
I have had it on class 3-4 creeks, in very technical water, taken it down the upper Gauley, it's great on almost everything.

TGG!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
oopsiflipped
CBoats Addict

Post by oopsiflipped »

wow, all that and for only $1100 more than the absolute most i want to spend. what a bargain. for those of us living in the real world.....how about a conversion recomendation which is what I was asking about in the first place? honestly, it's like i'm asking about a good rig to camp out of and you guys are telling me to buy a freakin sportsmobile.
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

Sorry, I must've missed the conversion part. Your subject was "Suggestions for faster and looser boat than my big EZ". I have a Big EZ & feel the Sith is faster & looser.

If you want outfitting suggestions (per your "After a minor outfitting meltdown this weekend" statement) take a look at my Forplay (sorry I don't have photos up of the Big EZ, but it's the same outfitting). That'll be a LOT less $$ than a Sith.

http://cboats.net/c_db/list.php?type=5& ... me=Forplay

But then again, you want faster & looser, so outfitting won't help those design flaws.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

A Score, maybe? Faster for sure, dunno about "loose". I'm 220# (and dropping!) and I like it for river running / play. Some biggish water even.
oopsiflipped
CBoats Addict

Post by oopsiflipped »

haha, so i didn't say conversion, but what else is there, really? 4 or 5 plastic boats in the last 15 years and the composite stuff i can't afford.

the outfitting meltdown wasn't too bad. the rear pillar ripped out and the seat was pretty loose after that, too loose for me to roll again anyway. :oops:
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Well, you didn't mention conversions in your post...and well, last time I checked, I lived in the real world, too... :lol: ...!

TGG!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
oopsiflipped
CBoats Addict

Post by oopsiflipped »

that's funny, i though you lived in the center of the world....
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Not the center of the world...the canter of the universe(s) :lol: !

TGG!