2009 NBP Armada info

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

cmnypny
CBoats Addict

Won't be making it this year

Post by cmnypny »

Due to some un-forseen cash flow issues due to the T.A.X. man I will not be able to attend this year.

Hopefully next year!

(p.s. I have cancelled quite a few of my roadtrips because of this so don't feel left out)
Blog: http://cmnypny.blogspot.com/
Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cmnypny/sets/
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)
ohioboater
CBoats Addict

start and end of weekend

Post by ohioboater »

I will be visiting my wife's family over Memorial Day. Will most likely pass through Armada territory on either Friday afternoon or Saturday morning, and again on Monday afternoon. Would love to stop and run something with you all.

--sean
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Rough time line for Memorial Day weekend (NBofP Armada and Cquirt)!
8) Friday PM - Camp site near NBofP. Canadians and a few others to be coming in from Ohiopyle area.
8) Sat AM (10:30 - 11) - PS Composite to say Hi to Paul S and MK and get the tour. Skirtworks folks might show too.
8) Sat PM (1:00 - 2:00) - hit the Alley (Cheat Narrows) for Cquirt. Jim S plans to be there with a few zombies to fall into the trance!
Some boaters might do the Narrows proper or find something else to spend some time on.
8) Sat PM (after Cquirt) - Dinner (Pizza Hut) then back to camp ground.
8) Sun AM (10ish) - NBofP - Meet at Red Brick building (don't leave cars there please) to meet and greet and set up shuttle. Flow is estimated to be in the 1,000 range! :D
8) Sun AM (11-noon) - NBof P and remember its a few buck to park at the put in.
8) Sun PM (6ish) Fox's Pizza for stories and such
8) Mon AM - TBD by groups as they see fit. Options - LY, UY, ASCI (WISP), and others depending on water flow.
:( Mon PM - Drive home

PS: All times are subject to Kalan time and the whim of cboaters.
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
Brendan
C Guru

Post by Brendan »

I will be there is spirit- having made most of the Armada's on the East Coast, I know what a great time of paddling and fellowship I will be missing. I will try to get a few hours on the James on Friday afternoon before we head to the beach. I hope you have great water levels, clear skies, cool eveings and safe driving.
Brendan
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

We'll miss you Brendan. Is Gunst coming?

I'm dragging along 3 friends, 4 cases of Blenheims, 5 boats, and 6 bottles (at this count) of various BBQ sauces from down this way. Can't hardly wait...
ohioboater
CBoats Addict

Friday Loop

Post by ohioboater »

I have a better sense of my travel schedule now. I can be in Ohiopyle at 12:30 on Friday and would like to run the loop. Anyone willing to meet me there? Based on the forecast, I doubt anything else will be running anyway...
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

Somewhere between 4 and 6 Canadians will drive down on Friday.
We'll do our best to adhere to Kalin time... :lol: ...!
KNeal, I'll throw the Loco on the roof for you to try and Squeakyknee, I'll throw the Pagan in the back for you to paddle.

Can't wait!

TGG!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

So do I need to leave the light on and put the dogs away for ya? :wink:
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

Yes please :lol: !!

TGG!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
PrincessLeah
c

NBP at 1000 cfs!

Post by PrincessLeah »

Hey PAC!

Just noticed that the flow is 1000 cfs. Is that a beefy level? Should I be losing sleep over this?? :-?

See ya soon, Leah :D
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

I have about no-to-zero interest in going to PS Composites. Cheat Canyon would be great if someone wants to run that as an option for Saturday paddling. "Big Al" came up with that idea and it appeals very much. I'll be camping Friday night and will grab a quick breakfast intown, zip over and set shuttle for a canyon run. It'll take at least 2 hours to run, so we can grab lunch somewhere on the way to catch up with the downtimers. Post here if you want to join "Big Al" and me. Be ready to roll EARLY Sat. morning for breakfast.

KNeal
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Here's a map I put together with some handy Armada locations :

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&gl ... bca5f43da0
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

PrincessLeah
If that was the release on the Savage I'd be a happy guy but alias its the NBofP. AWA web site is down so I have to go from a TOG'gled mind when me thinks the usual releases are 1,100ish Sat and 900ish on Sunday! So its a Mid level! We, as a collective group, have done it at much higher levels and is just has push and is actually easier IMHO.

KNeal
Paddling the Caynon with "Big Al" is not a 2 hour curise! Heck the shuttle is longer than that (make sure you both have a spare key). Al likes to get up close and personal with each rapid and you... well rumor has it Big Nasty has not been feed lately (thats my story line and I'm sticking to it!).
Actually this is a great trip for those who have never paddled it - a really enjoyable run! Have fun and surf it up!

Paul C.
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
jnorto01
C Guru

Post by jnorto01 »

I figured there would be a "key" comment at some point this weekend...just didn't think it would get thrown down this early :wink:
Big Al
CBoats Addict

Cheat Canyon

Post by Big Al »

The rapids in the Canyon at low levels are interesting, good surfing at Big Nasty, more technical and , of course, scrapy. Long paddle out after Lower Col.

I'm picking up my new Fink Saturday morning sometime in Ohiopyle :D .
Ideally, can be at Canyon put in or take out by 11:30 am, but PAC, is right....unless you're racing and the level is 4' + (v/ unlikely), 2hrs is shuttle time. All-in, incl Canyon may be 5, and I think we can still make Pizza Hut. I'll call u, Kneal, when when I know the Fink is in hand.