RPM conversion

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

sweetpea
c

RPM conversion

Post by sweetpea »

Hey there,

I'm a noob who stumbled across this site today and am thrilled.

I used to do some ww canoeing and lots of tripping in big-as-bus open boats years ago and then later switched to kayaking. haven't done either in 10 years and was jonesing to return to the water.

I'd always been intrigued by C1, but though that it wasn't really an option for me and i'd have to stick with kayaking - which I've never felt truly comfortable with.

Seeing what people are doing in the sport these days has me fired up to get back into and pronto!

I was considering converting an RPM and was wondering if anyone has done the same or has thoughts on the matter. I remember seeing a C1 RPM on the Gull years ago and I enjoyed paddling one as a kayak.

Also, I have a choice between the regular model and the Max. Should I be going for the extra volume of the Max or is it a non-issue. I'm short (5'7") but hefty (200 pds). Intend to be back to about 175 by end of summer.

Many thanks in advance.

S/
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

A friend of mine paddled one and loved it (he was 140#?). I tried it and was pretty sure a barrel would be more stable (I was 200#). Unless you are in love with the design, I think ther are better choices...

Try out a "real" C-1 first, like an Atom or a Cascade - the primary factor being width.
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

Use the "search" function in this forum and "c" if you can find a previous post about this subject. I recall Paddler having an article years ago on different converted c-1's, the RPM being one of them. I remember the review did not like the cockpit as it was too small for comfort. Since you have a choice, I say consider the Max as it should be more roomy and definitely more stable. But that's my opinion and I certainly have more to give. :lol: Other than that, Scott B's recommendation is also very good if you can find any.

KNeal
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

I tried an Animas conversion, and found it way too roly-poly. I think you may find that the RPM and RPM Max both lack the amount of initial stability that a c-1 paddler expects.

There are a lot of newer designs on the market, cheap, that will provide a firmer base and better handling. Watch for others to make some suggestions.
sweetpea
c

Post by sweetpea »

Thanks for the opinions.

I should have also mentioned that cost is key factor and I either find a way to do this on the cheap or not at all. Otherwise I would look at doing things the "right way" and open up the shortlist to a greater number of boats.

If flat is what I should be looking for than perhaps a rodeo-style 'yak is in order...?
sweetpea
c

Post by sweetpea »

You were right about searching the forum. A wealth of information.

Based on what I found there I guess I should be looking at trying to find a Dagger Redline or an Infrared (unless that hull would be on the small side), as I want an older model river runner. Wasn't thrilled with the possibility of having to go to a play/rodeo boat.

Now to scour the classifieds...

Thanks again.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Kayaks started tending to wider and flatter about the time of the Redline - you should be able to find something cheap *and* acceptable. The RPM could be tough for a begginer C-1er - even roly-polier than an Animas I'd think...
sweetpea
c

Post by sweetpea »

After doing more research I'm getting the part about the need for a flatter bottom and hence, why the RPM likely wasn't really a good idea. It Looks like the Necky Bliss might also be a contender.

I'm headed to Palmerfest in a few weeks. Maybe someone up there will have a crusty old boat to unload...

I think if I can get into something that floats and will just get me through this season with a little progression, I'll have a little more runway by next summer and will be able to look at better boat options then.
Crash
C Boater

Post by Crash »

Your guna love palmers fest.Good people, good boating.check out the venders lots of good stuff.
C-Ya+Ride Safe
Crash
pblanc
CBoats Addict

Borrow a C1 first

Post by pblanc »

I would suggest borrowing a C1 for a few hours before going to the trouble of outfitting a kayak for C1, just to be sure you can tolerate the low kneel position.

Years and years ago I made the transition from flatwater canoing to whitewater OC1 to whitewater K1 and I still paddle canoes and kayaks on whitewater and flatwater.

I really wanted to like C1. I borrowed a friend's Dagger Cascade years ago, and found I just couldn't handle the position. Granted, the boat was not outfitted for me, but even though I have fairly low pedestals in my whitewater OC1s, I realized after about half an hour in the boat, that my knees and ankles were just not going to let me explore decked canoing.
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

keep in mind though, that the set-up is key for comfort. It takes a while to get it dialed....It would be a miracle to get in someone elses boat and have it be comfortable for you.
Larry
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

I agree with Larry there. As far as comfort in a C1 is concerned, there are many other factors apart from saddle height that determine comfort. Knee stance; saddle shape, length and width; ankle block shape and position, too many to list. I have been in boats with 7" saddles where I was in agony after minutes, while I have boats with saddles as low as 4.5' that I can stay in for over an hour before being uncomfortable.
One try in a C1 is definitely not enough to decide wheter it's good for you or not.

TGG!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
CDawg
Pain Boater

Wavesport Z, or maybe X

Post by CDawg »

If you do go c-1, WS Z might be a good size for you, flat bottom, 200# no problem. Or even the smaller X might work, it'll carry 200. They should be easy to find, easy to convert, cheap, and make good c-1s.
sweetpea
c

Post by sweetpea »

Many thanks for all the replies and to those who took the time to pm with advice and leads. Very much appreciate the info!

This has been educational. More than that, though, I'm really psyched that I'm going to be able to do this. Looking forward to getting on the water.

No doubt I'll be back posting shortly on how to do the conversion :-?
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

sweetpea, if you are paddling the Gull then you are most likely from Ontario, right?

There is a listing on the boatwerks website for an already converted Dagger Redline, which would be, due to the flat bottom, a much better boat for you, for sale for 300 bucks:

http://www.boatwerks.net/boaterboard/ad ... hp?id=3302

I paddle the Gull quite regularly, so if you need some pointers, send me a PM some time.

TGG!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau