River running C-1?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Plumbpass
C Boater

River running C-1?

Post by Plumbpass »

I'm thinkng about buying or building a river running C-1. I'm 5'11" 195Lbs. Any suggestions on a hull I should consider starting with, or a boat thats ready to hit the water.

Thanks for the input, Ryan.
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

I second Mike! The Sith is the best C1 riverrunner I have ever been in. Period.
8) 8) 8)
TGG!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
xmas0c1c1k1
CBoats Addict

Post by xmas0c1c1k1 »

Remix69 or 79
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

What kind of "river running" are you planning on? What rivers and what's your budget?
There are a lot of great boats out there!
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

Take a look at what Kaz has to offer at Millbrook. All of his c-1s have length and speed.

I've seen some glass Atoms around, but I don't know if Class V is able to make them at present. Their website was gone the last time I checked the link.

Used to be a nice river runner called the MiniMax around in the SE, but again, I don't know if there's a maker at present.
Plumbpass
C Boater

Post by Plumbpass »

I'm thinking of class II/III river running. Catching some eddies along the way and maybe some mellow surfing.

What are peoples thoughts on the Dagger Atom?

Martin, I recall you telling me last summer, if you had to choose one boat, it would be the Sith. It was the first boat I looked at. Do you think I could give yours a spin sometime this season?

TommyC1
C Guru

Post by TommyC1 »

Plumbpass wrote: What are peoples thoughts on the Dagger Atom?

Bear in mind this is coming from a boater of limited skills and talent who only runs New England III's (II's for the rest of y'all I'm told).

I quite like my Atom for river running. It's relatively quick and precise. It surfs OK but does want to pearl if you let the water build on the deck.
Unfortunately as things get pushier I find the low volume stern a liability. That and my lousy roll lead to way too much swimming. :roll:

So lately I've been river running in a Cascade. That is a bit slower and sloppier but far more steady and secure. Also the Cascade surfs almost as well as my Outrage.
Plumbpass
C Boater

Post by Plumbpass »

Thanks Tommy. I have an Outrage, so I get the comparison. That's great.

xmas, are you talking of the LL Remix? Do you have one? I'm looking for the dirt on it.

Ryan.
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

Ryan, that's right, if I could only have obne boat, it would be the Sith, hands down. It has such nicely balanced handling, I can run just about everything in it, apart from steep creeks.
It' has enough speed to make some pretty tough ferries, is predictable even in big water, and surfs like a dream. Due to the edges it carves really nicely on a wave, too.

You are welcome to try it out anytime. I have it with me most of the time when I go paddling anyway.

As for what boat to get as a riverrunner, depends what you want to do with it. Boats like a Remix are great if you look for something to riverrun and creek. It would be great for the HWY7 runs if you are interested in running the big drops or for stuff like Spencer's , the Oxtongue, Drag and such, but for instance on the Ottawa it would be kind of a bore, I think, as you will not ge any quality play in.
If your goal is a playful riverrunner for rivers like the Ottawa or the Gatineau, then get something with a planing hull.
Or get a REALLY fast boat like a slalom boat and surf all the flat green waves that the short boats can't catch 8) .

TGG!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

I have an Atom and like it a lot. I'm tapping 185-190 and feel the performance on it is significantly different tha when I was 175-180 (just continuing to grow up, ya know :wink: ). My opinion is that the Atom may be unfair to you with its low-cut stern--catchy edges resulting in unanticipated flips, may be hard to roll because of its fairly flat hull design. I paddled the Sith on one occasion and like it for many reasons. Mostly, it is comfortable and pretty predictable. It would be nice to have one of them.
  • ...and a Mentor
    ...and a Ceemweaver
    ...and a low-cut Acrobat
    ...and a slalom c-1 Loco
    ...and, well you get the idea

:D

Just tossing my 0.02 around to stimulate the economy

KNeal
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."