A "shocking story' with a happy ending.

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

jakke
CBoats Addict

Post by jakke »

ezwater wrote:Maybe for us rather old folks, a bracelet saying, "Just let me die on the river."
For "you" wearing that bracelent maybe the greatest solution. But think of the invoice your family will get, for getting you and your boat out of that river.

I think some valid points are mentioned here. The fact that you know Joel has a medical issue, which should be solved by the defibrilator, should not limit him to boating. Maybe make him a little more carefull.

but hey, I go mountainbiking with someone who has had an open heart operation as a child. And sure as hades I have a hard time following that guy!
markzak
CBoats Addict

Post by markzak »

Are meaning to imply that it is an outiftter's responsibility to take care of private boaters? That is just plain ridiculous. Stopping to help if they can sure, but if you're expecting some hungover first year guide to come and save you, you're insane. I seriously doubt that is what you mean, but it sure reads that way.
Outfitters are first and foremost responsible for their customers. What I mean is that we are all part of the WW community and we all need to look out for each other (without expecting their help). A paddler can never rely on strangers to help out, but my argument is that we're not strangers, we're all paddlers and we're all in this together.

I for one, always stop to help when I see a paddler or group of paddlers in distress, even if they're rec boaters without PFDs and helmets. Most, if not all commercial outfitters do the same.

I also think wearing bracelets or dog tags or something listing a paddlers known medical history is probably a good idea, especially if that paddler is worried of having a medical problem on the water.
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

"For "you" wearing that bracelent maybe the greatest solution. But think of the invoice your family will get, for getting you and your boat out of that river."

Actually it would cost less to remove an old paddler who has died on the bank of the river, than it would to try to rush a half-dead one to a hospital.
Gail R
Pain Boater

Post by Gail R »

Thanks Jim for the story.

As for the spectrum of physical activity, cycling surpases boating.
http://www.teamtype1.org/
people who are active are more body aware....if they have a medical condition, they manage it. Just ask the new guys if there is anything you should know and where their meds are.
I think this is more of a squirrel outside the tent then a bear but I don't boat 5......
craig
CBoats Addict

Post by craig »

I am very glad that this young man made it home alive and is gonna be ok. I am also thrilled that Esprit had the foresight to purchase one of these devices and train some people to use it. IMO if every outfitter did this, it might save around a dozen lives a year. I am hopeful that boating can remain a sport of inclusion and fun for all who would like to participate with safety for all an important guideline. That said, if I died on the river I'd probably have a smile on my face as that is where I belong. Can I get one of those bracelets please? Stay safe out there!
esprit
C Guru

One year anniversary of Joel Scott rescue.

Post by esprit »

Today is the one year anniversary of Joel Scott's cardiac arrest on the Pescados river and subsequent AED rescue by his fellow WILD (Whitewater Intensive Leadership Development) students and staff.

A long, and interesting thread resulted here on c-boats with many differing opinions on the rescue, Joel's paddling future, and rescue standards for commercial operators.

Here is an update one year after.

Ten days after the incident Joel left the hospital in Canada with an embedded defibrilator and was told he could resume regular activity. Four months to the day after the accident he and his brother Jordan returned to Mexico to complete the final 5km of the expedition they had missed out on. They also visited the ICU in hospital in Jalapa... the medical staff could not believe their eyes when Joel walked in... they were sincerely happy to see him alive and well.

This summer Joel and Jordan frequently came up to the Ottawa to paddle and worked a few days for Esprit video kayaking. They recently just returned from a paddling trip in eastern Canada where they bought an old limo... put roof racks on it and hit the road.... a super pimped shuttle vehicle.

They are planning their future adventures and living their normal life... to the fullest I may add.

Other students and staff still struggle with the mix of emotions... how the worst day in their lives turned into the most amazing day... losing a close friend is obviously very challenging... but saving their life also drums up alot of emotions. Now that the experience is behind everyone... the fear of the loss is subsiding and the pride of the successful rescue and elation of saving a friend is starting to show through.

I applied on behalf of the rescuers for a prestigious award in Search and Rescue called the Higgins and Langley award. I was sure we were guaranteed to be recognized... but it was to no avail... most of the award are awarded to professional rescue departments rather than the boating community.

Feeling jaded that the boating community needs better representation I applied and was selected to the Higgins and Langley Board of Directors... so let me know of any paddling rescues that deserve mention and I will put them to the board for recognition that individuals in our sport/industry deserve.

It has been a interesting year for all those involved... many have said that we were lucky to be able to save Joel. In many ways I agree... but I also believe that luck is where "opportunity and preparedness" intersect... fortunately... for all involved... "luck" was on our side!

Cheers,

jim
jim gross
CBoats Addict

ha

Post by jim gross »

Quico,

Who are you to tell someone else they should not do something? If I told you should not run a rapid I did not think you could handle would you do as you please? Instead we make choices of our own choosing. I have taken off rivers because I did not feel paddling with them in those conditions for the reasons you cited. The point is scolding others for doing something we think they should not be doing is worthless. What does it accomplish? I mean realy?

Jim Gross
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Re: One year anniversary of Joel Scott rescue.

Post by KNeal »

esprit wrote:I applied on behalf of the rescuers for a prestigious award in Search and Rescue called the Higgins and Langley award. I was sure we were guaranteed to be recognized... but it was to no avail... most of the award are awarded to professional rescue departments rather than the boating community.

Feeling jaded that the boating community needs better representation I applied and was selected to the Higgins and Langley Board of Directors... so let me know of any paddling rescues that deserve mention and I will put them to the board for recognition that individuals in our sport/industry deserve.

It has been a interesting year for all those involved... many have said that we were lucky to be able to save Joel. In many ways I agree... but I also believe that luck is where "opportunity and preparedness" intersect... fortunately... for all involved... "luck" was on our side!

Cheers,

jim
Thank you, Jim, for stepping in as a voice for the boating community on that recognition board. I want to point out that luck had nothing to do with the outcome. Esprit had the right equipment that was needed at the time, everyone there worked together to save Joel's life and Joel beat the odds. It is awesome he is alive and well and continues to live his life.

In the Navy, the expression is "Bravo Zulu"!

KNeal
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."