need to find inexpensive dry wear for my 13 year old son

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

zeke
C Boater

need to find inexpensive dry wear for my 13 year old son

Post by zeke »

My 13 year old is getting ready to venture into the arena of cold water paddling for the first time and I need to find some affordable dry wear for him. I don't want to drop a bundle on new gear when he will probably outgrow soon. I figure he will probably fit into an adult small. Will go with either dry top w/ wet bottom or full dry suit. Hoping maybe somebody has a child who has outgrown their gear and would be willing to pass it on for fair compensation or just a small adult that has old suit that has a year or two left in it. Need to get something before end of month (Lower Yough trip). Thanks
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

zeke I have the same issue.
My son is also 13 and I have a 10 year coming up after that who will be getting hand me downs. Not easy and definitely not cheap.
What I have done in the past is:
:-? Post on local paddling boards for items (hardly get a response but every so often you get lucky),
:) Watch those same sites for gear,
:wink: Ask buddies for there seconds (best if your only borrowing),
:) Don't be afraid of seconds or bargain box at paddling fests,
:roll: Watch ebay and criags list and
:) Check out Sierra Trading Post too.
Finally you have to put in the time looking for gear and plan a head on sizing (some times it works some times it doesn't).
Overall just stay at it.
Hopefully you and I will not be competing for the same gear but I'm sure that will happen too. :(
I just pick up a new pfd for my kid via a sale pataquicci was having about a month back and a fuzzy heater top from IR at the over the falls race for him.
The other thing is I seem to be a tad colder when I paddle with them now and they sure do look good in the gear they borrow from dad! :cry:
good luck! Paul C.
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
Nate
C Guru

Post by Nate »

I have an old stohlquist drysuit that I never, ever use anymore, and would be willing to part with it for very little. The suit is fairly old (not sure exactly HOW old, but it is nylon, not goretex) but the gaskets were all replaced two or three seasons ago by stohlquist. Since then it has seen minimal use and been kept in a dark closet, so UV degradation of the gaskets has not been a significant factor.
The size is a medium, so it might be too large for your son, but outgrowing it certainly wouldn't be an issue. I found the sizing worked fine for me (last time I used it I was about 5'10) but it is very long for a medium.

Let me know if you're interested.
nshils@gfsnet.org

Nate
oc1dude
C Boater

Post by oc1dude »

I have a koktat size med.that looks like it is new but it is a 03 model I think I have $100 in it and will take that for it plus shipping let me know if you are interested