Whitewater helmet

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

pe_lord
c

Whitewater helmet

Post by pe_lord »

Hi

I'm looking for a new helmet. I've been looking for the WRSI but i don't like it... I finally found the Sweet Helmet, model Rocker Ful Cut.
Sweet helmet: Rocker FC

I want to know if some people like this model (safe or not, i hope at 235$) and if it is possible to mount a hard nose on it... i don't want to take the full face model... too much for me.

Thanks

PE
mathieuf
c

Post by mathieuf »

You can find good quality at lowest price...
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

Sweet helmets have a good reputation.
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

I've only seen one Sweet helmet break. It was not fun to watch, but the guy wasn't hurt. To be fair, I've seen that same spot break Rock Heads & Greatful Heads helmets.

I'd pay double the original asking price for a new Bell Sidecut. Best helmet I've tried. Shame they didn't market it better :cry:
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

Bell Sidecut
?

Side Cut Helmet by Predator?
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

I've seen a few of them on the water but don't own one so take this for what its worth....
I like side protection over my ears - I have a tendency when playing to flip over hard and not having ear coverage hurts my hearing (getting old). If you are creek'n or cold water paddling side pro can be a very nice thing to have. However, more coverage equals more heat retention. So there are trade offs.
I don't like fixed hard visors - they can some times lead to helmet movement during violent thrashing / play. So I always attach a soft visor if I attach one.
But I like a visor particularly for rainy day and autumn low sun in the ski paddling.
I like coverage that also protects the base of the neck since when your bobb'n down a rock slide with the wrong side up its nice to have more spine and neck coverage
Based on what I see from the site I'd like it... if it fit my nogg'n!
Hope this helps - I suggest you try one on first if you can not every helmet fits every head! Personally I own a few helmets and paddle with whatever I think will be appropriate for the day / conditions (including a cascade full coverage with mask :o and a little 1970s Ace :roll: ). Some are just better than others in terms of protection.
Paul C.
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
pe_lord
c

Post by pe_lord »

Since my last post, i've search for some less expensive model. I've found the Shred Ready

What do you think about this model.

I'm not sure that the Predator SideCut (are you talking about this model?) can resist to double impacts....
I don't rally trust the foam inside? Don't you?

Cascade helmet are distributed in north america? Double impact resistants?

Thanks

PE[/quote]
oopsiflipped
CBoats Addict

Post by oopsiflipped »

I really like my WRSI. Got the chance to test it out this weekend. Seems good! It also has ear attachments or the full face for creeking and is available vented or not. And it comes in Pepto Pink. THe padding is great...I didn't even notice my head ricocheting of the basalt....maybe it was was the pain of ripping flesh of my thumb that distracted me..... retails around $80
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

I have looked for the Standard but have not seen one in person. From the pics it looks ok but it is plastic, you know. I've been wearing a Shred Ready Shaggy for a few years. It's a good one.
For me the most important thing is fit. I have to try them on because so many just don't fit right. No Internet purchases for me..
Larry
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

Paddle Power wrote:
Bell Sidecut
?

When the Predetor first came out I thought it looked promising. It may be a good helmet. After squeezing one I found that it's nowhere near as stiff as the Bell. I'd like to try some of the FNA models to see how they feel.
pe_lord
c

Post by pe_lord »

Mike W. wrote:
Paddle Power wrote:
Bell Sidecut
?

When the Predetor first came out I thought it looked promising. It may be a good helmet. After squeezing one I found that it's nowhere near as stiff as the Bell.
Bell? Could you share with us the link of the website?

Thanks

PE
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

Bell no longer makes whitewater helmets. When they did make them, they were only distributed through NRS, so they probably didn't sell enough to be profitable. I've contacted both NRS & Bell. They both say that there are none left. I'll bet there are some stuck in a corner of a warehouse though.

The closest thing I've found is the Bell Faction. The Faction is wider behind the ears than the Sidecut. Also, the Sidecut came with a bunch of thin strips of mini-cell foam to get the fit just right. The Faction looks like it has a much softer foam inside.

Here's a link to the Bell Faction: http://www.bellbikehelmets.com/productD ... p?prodID=8#