I need advice to buy a slalom c1

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

telemarkfreak
C Boater

I need advice to buy a slalom c1

Post by telemarkfreak »

I am 185 lbs and 5`11 and I am a pretty advanced paddler I want to buy a slalom C1 what do you advice me? have you heard about the Absolute of Itomco, do you have any pictures thanks.
John Coraor
CBoats Addict

Post by John Coraor »

I'm not sure about the upper limit on the Absolute's weight range., but I suspect that 185 lbs. is heavier than its optimal design weight. Check with iTOMCO to be sure, but, if so, you might also consider one of Robin Bell's designs for larger C-1 paddlers: The "iMo" or possibly a used "Loco" (his previous design). Both are "short" boats (under 4 meters) built by Galasport.

John
telemarkfreak
C Boater

Post by telemarkfreak »

thank you , I will check with Itomco. I considered the Imo from Galasport aswell, what do you know about it in terms of paddler size, etc..
John Coraor
CBoats Addict

Post by John Coraor »

All I know is what is posted on their web site, which is that the design weight range for the iMo is from 70-85 kilos (i.e. 154-187 lbs.). The Loco is listed as having a weight range from 80-90 kilos (i.e. 176-198 lbs.). It's my understanding that Robin Bell, the designer of both boats, weighs in at 85 kilos, so he is at the upper end of the design range for the iMo and right in the middle for the Loco.

John
telemarkfreak
C Boater

Post by telemarkfreak »

thank you so much!!! what do you paddle?
John Coraor
CBoats Addict

Post by John Coraor »

I paddle a Zealot, which is a much older 4-meter boat designed by Jon Lugbill and Adam Clawson in 1995 for the '96 Olympics. A lot of us over-the-hill racers tend to have put on some extra poundage and the Zealot, as well as the Dynamic (or Super Dynamic) that was designed by Davey Hearn at the same time, seem to be more forgiving for larger paddlers than many other designs.

However, if could afford it, I would buy a Loco. I was only able to paddle one very briefly but liked the way that it handled and it is certainly the only short boat that comes close to being designed for my current weight.