why are Sparks in camo?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

why are Sparks in camo?

Post by sbroam »

Just talking to a friend about boats and he asked why the Spark is only available in camouflage. Anybody know why?
cbcboat
CBoats Addict

Post by cbcboat »

The Spark is made of Royalite and not royalex. Royalite, I believe is offered in less colors than royalex, the sheets are spec'd in a certain way and most likely instead of offering different colors and having to spec multiple colors they use only camo, probably got the best deal, to keep cost reasonable, especially in a market that is not huge as we all know. This is partially a guess, maybe someone that is closer with Esquif might have the exact answer.
B
Randy Dodson
C Guru

Post by Randy Dodson »

cbcboat wrote:The Spark is made of Royalite and not royalex. Royalite, I believe is offered in less colors than royalex, the sheets are spec'd in a certain way and most likely instead of offering different colors and having to spec multiple colors they use only camo, probably got the best deal, to keep cost reasonable, especially in a market that is not huge as we all know. This is partially a guess, maybe someone that is closer with Esquif might have the exact answer.
B
That sounds pretty much like what Eli told me some time back.
Parrot Head Paddler
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Why the heck didn't they pick red? Everybody *knows* that is the fastest color! Or was it that camo was the closest approximation to Kaz's splatter color scheme available? :lol:

My friend was thinking that the color scheme might impede sales, but I disagree - I think people that want a Spark would buy it regardless of the color.
Eric Nyre
C Guru

Post by Eric Nyre »

The Spark is at heart a racing canoe. The camo pattern on the Royalite was slightly faster than non patterened sheeting (less drag for some reason). At least that's what I was told many moons ago when the Spark just came out.
craig
CBoats Addict

Post by craig »

I heard the same story that Eric did, just can't remember where/when. But that may be a TOG brain thing.
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

But Eric, you once told me that glass smooth boats coasted better than rough boats. Is there something to the slightly-rough theory after all?? :roll:
Eric Nyre
C Guru

Post by Eric Nyre »

A camo Spark is smooth. In fact I believe it has less texture than regular Royalex which is slightly bubbly.

Quick way to test the theory of smooth for speed. Take a smooth boat, go paddle it with a GPS and mark your speed. Run 60 grit sandpaper over the hull, retest with GPS. Say "oh crap" when the roughed up boat is slower :-)

Only at very fast speeds (in excess of normal paddlecraft) will a rough skin prove an advantage. It will break up the surface tension and let the boat skim past easier. At paddling speeds it will increase surface tension since we're not plysically strong enough to exceed the theoretical hull speed of the craft.
kaz
Millbrook Boats - CBoats.net Sponsor

Post by kaz »

Sbroam, you win. You are correct about the splatter pattern.
JKaz
C1Dub
C Guru

Post by C1Dub »

I would say the Spark color could have some impact on sales.
Me personally I would like one after test driving one recently but I'm not wild about the camo. Since I have 2 other boats on my wish list the Spark has dropped to 3rd place. I was hoping by the time I'm ready to buy one the color might be different.

Natalie
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Kaz - thanks, you can ship that new Spark to Lexington, SC...

Natalie - I think we could fix that color problem with 2-3 cans of the krylon plastic paint! But you already have a hot Millbrook racer?!
jchasse
Esquif - CBoats.net Sponsor

Post by jchasse »

Why Camo, because it's faster, the acrylic film vulcanized over the Royalite provide a far better glide then the porous Royalite, it's is also harder to scratch. The Spark project was and still a non compromise slalom canoe. We had in mind creating the fastest plastic slalom canoe. At some point a manufacturer got to remind what is the essence of a project
Thank's

Jacques Chasse
Esquif canoes
Walsh
CBoats Addict

spark

Post by Walsh »

The boat's width and stability also make it a good choice for hunting ducks.

Actually, I was razzing a paddling colleague about the color. He told me that the camoflauge had one advantage: "When I'm off in the tumblebrush, the locals don't see me as a yuppie kayaker. Instead, I'm one of them."
FURZTROCKEN!
kneeler
C Guru

Post by kneeler »

sbroam wrote:Why the heck didn't they pick red? Everybody *knows* that is the fastest color!
Yellow boats are WAY faster than red boats.
C1Dub
C Guru

Post by C1Dub »

Scott,

I was thinking that I want to save the Ignitor for racing and get the Spark for those runs where I don't want to abuse the race boat. It would also give me the option of another class at Nationals.

I also have a Makao Jr. and a Prowler on my wish list.

Hmmm, so many boats, not enough money to buy toys with.

Natalie