Another Glue Question!

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Marc Evans
C Guru

Another Glue Question!

Post by Marc Evans »

About a month ago I purchased Gabe's (oopsiflipped) Spanish Fly - Thanks Gabe, I'm looking forward to getting worked in the boat.

Well, I've completely re-done the outfitting by building a new thigh-hook system (as per Smerda's posted recommendations) and am wondering about attaching it to the boat. I know that Weldwood in the red can is the standard method, but what about something less permanent? Would velcro or some other non-permanent method work? My reason for wanting something of a less permanent nature is that I might want, at a later date, to change the trim of the boat. Any thoughts are welcome.

Marc
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

I have seen doublei-sided carpet tape being used for this purpose, just don't go into big holes like Phil's on the Ottawa with it, or you may end up with a yard sale of foam pieces.

martin a.k.a. the great gonzo!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Weldwood has always been a good permanent but fairly removable adhesive for me - stuffs sticks well enough for heavy duty use, but with application of putty knife and leverage, up it comes.
cbcboat
CBoats Addict

Post by cbcboat »

I've used the industrial strength velcro they sell at Ace Hardware. You can buy it by the foot. It has held pretty good for me.
B
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

The only problem I have with Weldwood or other contact cements is that some complex foam shapes are hard to lay in with the one-shot method needed. For those I have used a variety of slower, non-contact glues, mostly urethanes. Of course in that case it is necessary to make sure that all parts of the foam shape stay in good contact during the glue setting process.
Marc Evans
C Guru

Post by Marc Evans »

Martin, SBroam and Cbcboat - Thanks for the thoughts. I've got all three of the suggestions at home. I think that I may go with the velcro. We'll call it a test - Because if it doesn't work I'll just go back to the Weldwood. I'll give you an update after some time in the boat.

Marc
C-Dawg
c

glue

Post by C-Dawg »

You can use weldwood on just a small spot area or two, then when you are happy with the position go full coverage. Just finished a Remix 69 and will use it on the Upper Yough this weekend!
C-ing is believing!