New Longboating Forum!

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

swriverstone
C Boater

New Longboating Forum!

Post by swriverstone »

Hi Everyone...

As a longtime C-boater and slalom racer, I've been perpetually dismayed by the explosive popularity and growth of ultra-short freestyle playboats (kayaks, and yes---C1 conversions). Not dismayed because there is anything wrong with short playboats...but because the proliferation of these boats has almost rendered longboats and longboating extinct.

To help promote longboating, I've started a new forum dedicated exclusively to longboating (which includes kayaks, open canoes, and C-boats). The forums are brand-spankin' new, and there's no conversation happening yet. But my hope is that eventually it'll grow into a community of like-minded paddlers.

http://longboating.freeforums.org

You might be asking "What exactly is longboating?" In short, it's a style of paddling whitewater in boats that are 10-feet-plus in length. It's also a mindset. Go check out the forum! I've contributed several lengthy posts already (which I've tried to make interesting) about the longboating mindset, longboating techniques, and a rundown of currently available longboats.

Longboating shares much with downriver and slalom racing, but it's not about racing...and it's more than that.

So---without trying to lure members away from this forum (because we can all hang out on more than one forum!)---I hope some of you will come check out and contribute to the Longboating forums as well!

Scott Wilkinson
Harpers Ferry, WV
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Re: New Longboating Forum!

Post by KNeal »

swriverstone wrote:So---without trying to lure members away from this forum (because we can all hang out on more than one forum!)---I hope some of you will come check out and contribute to the Longboating forums as well!

Scott Wilkinson
Harpers Ferry, WV
That statement humors me, Scott. You and Dave M. are the reasons we have this forum in the first place! :D Thank you for what you do to continue the cboating tradition!

KNeal
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
swriverstone
C Boater

Post by swriverstone »

Hi Neal! Thanks---but I feel like I've been so out-of-the-loop that I've practically stabbed the C-community in the back! LOL (Hopefully I'll be more in the loop!)

I've been finding myself in Richmond more often lately---PM me your phone number and I'll give you a call next time I'm down---it's been ages since I paddle the James, and it would be fun to get together and do it!

Scott
old and in the way
C Guru

Post by old and in the way »

Wow, Scott, that's cool! I would argue; however, that it's not "long" boating, as boats in excess of 10 feet should more properly be considered "normal"... :D
"As long as there are young men with the light of adventure in their eyes or a touch of wildness in their souls, rapids will be run." -Sigurd Olson
kenneth
CBoats.net Staff

Post by kenneth »

Wow, this is almost too much to comprehend. This is a seriously important history lesson that Scott eludes to.

CBoats.net was started by taking Scott's C-Forum data, migrating it to phpBB and giving it its' own domain name (wasn't it an Earthlink address originally?). All of this was done with Scott's blessing, mind you. Adam and I weren't trying to steal away his baby, we had his full cooperation. Gosh, that brings me back...

I'm glad you're still interested in growing the online community and are able to continue expressing your passions! Yay Scott! I've helped out a few boating sites with technical issues and security, feel free to PM me if you need any help, advice, or just want to vent. :)

Good luck!