Impression of Mohawks Scamp

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

jim gross
CBoats Addict

Impression of Mohawks Scamp

Post by jim gross »

Suposedly this was Nolan Whitesells design before the Pirahna. I don't believe the world war 1 design of the Pirahna was an improvement on this boat. Personaly the Scamp reminded me of a large Encore. The boat was very quick with direction changes, stable and had pretty good glide. Set up tandem it was a tad wet but surfed well. We bow surfed this boat and then dropped into a side surf and was able to typewriter into a second break. Very nice. People have complained it was heavy. Well duhhhh it is 14 feet long. It's not like an 11 foot Ocoee. All in all i realy liked the boat. Very cool. Thanks Jimpee . JIM
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

I just finished re-outting a scamp for the Down River Nationals as an OC2. This boat has retired so many times its sort of a running joke now. And that was before it was semi-permentatly loaned to me. :o
We used it last year at the Nationals and we finished. Originally a solo it is easily outfitted as a tandum.
Heavy, not real fast and semi wet but it gets the job done.
We will not be in the running for win, place or show because of it but it is a good boat that is helping my son and I to learn to paddle together as a team.
Just curious Jim what brought up the review? Rumors of our Scamp coming out of retirement one more time? LOL Paul C.
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
jim gross
CBoats Addict

Paul

Post by jim gross »

Review came as a result of just haveing paddled one yesterday for the first time. Jimpee loaned me his for the day. And i remembered alot of critisism come out about this boat. I was pleased with it. JIM
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Makes sense. Its sort of like an older version of the Probe series - doesn't excel at anything but is good to go for everything!
I'd paddle either ...if they were the only options! If there were other options...well! :)
The Scamp as an OC2 for a lighter team isn't that bad. Pretty forgiving too for a couple of klutz paddlers - like boy and I! :wink:
Paul C.
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!