Mohawk Scamp??

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

pdown2
C Guru

Mohawk Scamp??

Post by pdown2 »

Anyone know anything about this boat?
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Scamp...

Post by PAC »

I beleive its the boat I paddle OC2 with my son. Built off of an original Whitesell design that was licensed to Mohawk. I was told the model but forget (been a while).
Originally designed as a OC but big enough for light OC2 teams. Not real fast, not super dry, not a great surfer but okay when it comes to all of those - basically an older design that is still a fun boat to paddle (with or without with a partner).
Stable but Heavy.
I might be wrong so maybe someone else will post info. Not sure what else you are looking for. Let us know. Paul C.

Added after the fact - Scamp as an OC2
http://lh3.ggpht.com/paulcline2002/R4a1 ... imgmax=912
Last edited by PAC on Thu May 22, 2008 8:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
Bill M
C Guru

Scamp

Post by Bill M »

When Whitesel first started out he used Mohawks facilities/equipment to mold his boats. The Scamp was his first effort(?). The Scamps bow and stern were pulled in unlike the Whitesel's which were probably pulled out 4". I had one in the day and widened the ends . It did very well for then. I had it on the Gauly and New several times. When I moved to an Encore I set the Scamp up tandem. It was real wet as a tandem maybe because we always had 300 to 350 pounds of paddlers in it. I remember it as being very heavy.
Bill
Walsh
CBoats Addict

Re: Scamp...

Post by Walsh »

JimP has one outfitted tandem, as well, which I temporarily stole while the Probe was under repairs.

I was ecstatic to have a tandem boat for a few critical weekends. At the same time, I was equally ecstatic to return the Scamp to Jim. :lol: My observations:

1) REALLY (*&^*%& HEAVY
2) KIND OF WET
3) VIRTUALLY INDESTRUCTABLE

It's very much a boat in the style of the Whitesells. It has a less pronouced version of the flared pivot points that you see on Descenders, so it tracks pretty straight until you heel it hard, and the bow stern then release. It's a very user friendly craft; Marissa and I muscled it down the LY without major incident. We're a ~270-lb team with gear, and I wouldn't want to go too much heavier in this boat.
FURZTROCKEN!
Walsh
CBoats Addict

Post by Walsh »

Just noticed . . .the Scamp's dimensions in the "search boats" library are correct, but its weight is listed as 28 pounds.

82 might be correct. :o
FURZTROCKEN!
dixie_boater
C Guru

Scamp

Post by dixie_boater »

Bill M is correct in that Nolan first used Mohawk's furnace to mold hulls on his Piranha mold. As part of the agreement Mohawk culd use the same mold to make a OC1 that they could market. Essentially, a Scamp is the same hull as a Piranha, but that is all those two boats have in common. Nolan built his boat with a more funneled (wider) bow and stern where as Mohawk pulled in the ends and the width was narrowed by a couple of inches. Scamps ran wetter than Piranhas. I bought a Scamp back in '85 and after paddling it for a year bought my first Whitesell Piranha from Nolan. It's a far superior handling boat for big water than it's Mohawk version. I paddled the Piranha on the Upper Gauley, Ripogenous(sp?) Gorge and Kennebec Gorge the next year.

Once Nolan bought a furnace for the shop off Buford Hwy in Atlanta he no longer needed to use Mohawk's furnace. Mohawk no longer had access to the Piranha mold. This led to the design of the Rogue and later the XL series.
Michael McCurdy