How do you think this turned out?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

How do you think this turned out?

Post by Craig Smerda »

:lol: http://www.buffalocanoes.com/ see second picture.

be sure to check out the creeking video as well... http://www.buffalocanoes.com/video.htm
cbcboat
CBoats Addict

Post by cbcboat »

Looks good, its important to grab the gunwale as this helps stablize the boat while traveling through rough waters.
milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

It's also essential for stability and bracing to be paddling on the same side while negotiating a drop.
msims
CBoats Addict

Post by msims »

If you blur your eyes and pause the video to where the boat is NOT in the photo, you can almost imagine this being some sick GIGANTIC waterfall/ledge (Like great slave river in NWT)... then the boat comes in the picture, and your world shatters.
________
KOHLS GIFT CARD
Last edited by msims on Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mattm
C Guru

nice claim on the skid plates

Post by mattm »

Love that claim about the skidplates. I better let my Whitesell Pyrana, Swift Dumoine, and Dagger Encores know those plates shouldn't be sticking :-?
so glad for Krylon, ABS and acetone.Squirt, sail, paddle and pole.
Open Gate
C Guru

Ender ?

Post by Open Gate »

:lol: Great gunnel grabing technique. Must have ended in a piton or ender :lol:

...but where is the coleman cooler ??? Must be a small one in the depth of the boat that we can't see :wink:

I want a Buffalo Canoe !!! (Can we put a Buffalo in it ???,why do rapids form under a bridge ??? :lol: )

Hard to admit we're in the same paddling family :roll:
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

Be fair, folks. A gal's got to sit with her legs well up for the camera. Kneeling might make her tummy pooch out.
OC1_SURFER
Pain Boater

Post by OC1_SURFER »

I've just got to tell you guys that I know exactly how this turned out. And that is: Rick Gordon and his Buffalo Canoe Company in Jasper, Arkansas have made and are still making a ton of money by producing and selling these canoes! They are tough and well designed. I see them at canoe liveries all over the country. The hull design is the same as one of the old Blue Holes, and supposedly, the guy who invented Royalex also designed this mold. So there is alot of history behind this canoe which is still proving itself. So chuckle if ya want, but it seems to me that the Buffalo Canoe is a living ancestor of our present-day whitewater OC's.

There was a recent thread on the ACC message board which some of you might want to take a look at. Very interesting stuff:

http://www.arkansascanoeclub.com/mb/vie ... php?t=7847

T.Prater
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

Yeah, I had occasion to borrow and paddle OCAs. Ancestral they may be, but they didn't handle as well as the Old Town Tripper. My friend, who won the one-and-only Ocoee open boat downriver race in an OCA, said the OCA was a bit drier in heavy water than his Tripper.

As an OCA clone, a Buffalo would make a fine Ozark cruiser. I don't think it is going to start a retro fashion craze. Handling is just too pedestrian.
OC1_SURFER
Pain Boater

Post by OC1_SURFER »

Don't take me wrong, ezwater. I'm not implying that this design is going to make a comeback to the whitewater world. I'm just saying that to the pioneers of the sport, this new Royalex product was state of the art. And we should respect that. I've seen alot of old photos of guys running class III-IV stuff in Blue Holes. And at that time, some of these rapids were considered unrunnable.

Just think. Twenty years from now, OC paddlers will probably see someone paddling a Taureau and wondering what kind of funky design that is. It will be their ancestor, and the paddler in it may be one of us.

The Gordons just took advantage of a good opportunity and ran with it...very successfully. I bought one of their canoes for my son and his family, and it is a good boat. Like you say, it is great for class II-III pool/drop type stuff like we have here in the Ozarks.

And please forgive my ranting. I just think we should show more respect for the old farts and their gear. After all, I'm one of them. :D

Prater
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

Hey, OC1_SURFER....

[img]http://www.junkscience.com/JSJ_Course/j ... /wrong.jpg[/img]

I don't believe they're talking about the boat, just the sleazy promotional footage... kinda looks as 'antiquated' as the boat...another way of saying it's making the boat look bad

appreciated the ACC link...but if you know them guys due'em a favor!
Randy Dodson
C Guru

Post by Randy Dodson »

As far as the skid plates sticking, they mostly pursue the canoe livery as their client base. they are really comparing themselves to the Old Town Disco's which don't like to hang on to skid plates, and which are used extensively as livery fleets.
Parrot Head Paddler
philcanoe
C Maven

Ocoee OC1 downriver race?

Post by philcanoe »

just testing the waters...

anybody interested in doing a Ocoee (OC1) downriver race ... might be a good summer-thyme thing... maybe a ribbon, real informal... GDI all the way, could do a mass start ... would only need a starter and finisher ... rafts in the drops/rapids would just add to the fun

if small could do on a weekend, just show up and go... if less than maybe twenty-five we ought to be good to go

...if got too large maybe a Sunday afternoon, or maybe a Friday?

any ideas or takers?
OC1_SURFER
Pain Boater

Post by OC1_SURFER »

Hmmmm. I don't know, Phil. Sure sounded like some boat dissin' going on there to me. :roll:

Prater
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

OC1_SURFER wrote:Hmmmm. I don't know, Phil. Sure sounded like some boat dissin' going on there to me. :roll:

Prater
Not at all as a matter of fact, I could care less about the boats... but did you happen by chance notice where that boat was headed exactly in the photo I was referring to? That doesn't look like the most brilliant idea in the world to me... but what do I know? :roll: As for the "creeking video"...now that's just plain hilarious if you consider the general audience that reads this message board. If he's really your friend you might suggest a few "updates" to his website to him. :wink:

EDIT... I just watched the video again to refresh my memory... here's what I noticed in 6 seconds. Helmetless bow paddler is sitting up on the seat chicken choking the paddle shaft, she does a hand switch to a rail grab... but at least the dood in the stern is kneeling and wearing a tilly hat... so from a freestyle persprective they scored 8 points. :lol: