New boat for Mike

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

madmike
C Guru

New boat for Mike

Post by madmike »

Help, I paddle (and Like) a Mad River ME. It is a super cruiser! While I enjoy hole rides, and surfing, I can't help but believe I could have a better boat for hot-dogging.

I am looking for an open boat in royalex, that is shorter, lighter and more fun in the waves and holes, (and pools.) I can get a good deal on a new Mohawk, the question is, which one. I love the Shaman, but is it radical enough? Is the Maxim too radical?

I am 5'11" at 215lbs. I am not scared of the edges on the the Viper, and Maxim. What do ya think?
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

Yes, I'm sure you could find a "hotter" boat than the ME!

I'm about your size and weight, in a Mohawk, I'd go for the Viper 12 (though I haven't paddled one yet).

PY.
msims
CBoats Addict

Post by msims »

DO NOT go with the maxim! Or at least try it first. At your weight it would operate similar to a cork, IMO. If you like an ME you probably wont like the maxim, zero primary stability, very little trackability - it's a weird boat. I (tried to) paddle mine as a first boat, hated it. I'd say if you were 175# you might want to consider it...

This was my opinion as a beginner boater, but I saw some other boaters who were pretty hot get in it who also didnt like it

Mike.
pdown2
C Guru

Post by pdown2 »

Say no to the Viper 12, go for the gold and get a Viper 11.......or if you just want a boat to throw down in (and creek like a madman) get a Rodeo! And if you feel like really getting a "real little" boat and can deal with leaving the royalex world look to a Spanish Fly in a few when Esquif finally starts production. You just can't beat a bathtub boat.......they absolutely SUCK in big water though.......or I just absolutely suck in big water, one of the two and probably the latter.

Or if your on the cheap grab a kayak and gut it!
c1swim
CBoats Addict

Post by c1swim »

I've never paddled the Maxim, but the Rodeo and Vipers rock.
I'd say go with the Viper 11 or the Rodeo(viper 10).
dance for rain
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

c1swim and pdown2, How heavy are you guys?

Are you recommending the Viper 11 and Rodeo just because you like 'em yourselves - or do you think they're good boats for somebody who weighs 215lbs?

Thanks, Pat.
c1swim
CBoats Addict

Post by c1swim »

I don't believe that 215lbs is too heavy for either boat, but, I'm no expert. I've owned a viper 12, have a viper 11, and am getting a rodeo as soon as I can get over and pick it up. I'm 6'1" & 175Lbs.
I recommended them because I like them, they are affordable, Frankie Hubbard designed them, and he wants a shorter boat.
dance for rain
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

I went from an ME to a Viper 12 years back - the transition was more about the edges than the length. Loved both boats.
madmike
C Guru

Let me add...

Post by madmike »

Thanks, this is the discussion I wanted. I do own and paddle a C-1 (dagger centrifuge,) so "I have some experience with "edgy." Looking for a short boat that will "throw-down." BTW I am very heavy for the Centrifuge.
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Viper 11 great at 215 pounds

Post by Wendy »

I weigh 215# and am short. The boat has no problems handling this weight. The Detonator is also a boat to consider.
pdown2
C Guru

Post by pdown2 »

I'm 195-200 (depends if I ate) and 6'3", both boats did me right......if I had the money I'd be in one of the two right now.

Weight really depends on what you want to do. I got a buddy who is over 250 and he takes my little Quake out in Class II+ - III to play in a feature. Granted if you're running the meat (Class IV-V) then look at limits but if you are just wanting to play, paddle one and see what you think (much like your Centrifuge).
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

The Viper 11 should certainly handle your weight, but the 11 and 12 have more of a difference than just 1' in length. Search here for more impressions. You already have a fast boat (the ME), maybe you should consider something more different than the Viper 12, maybe more different even than the 11. Since you want to throw down, to stick with Mohawk, maybe a Rodeo? Maybe one of the rotomolded boats if not.

I'm about your weight (220#) and have a Score set up as a C-1 - I thought that was similar in size to a Centrifuge, however, the Score is a great size for me.
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

Good to know this stuff...

I'll spend more time trying my friends Viper 11s from now on.

PY.
madmike
C Guru

differance?

Post by madmike »

can anyone expand on the difference between the Viper 11, and the Rodeo?
creek1r
Pain Boater

Viper vs Rodeo

Post by creek1r »

I use to have Mohawk Edge 14. Also paddled Viper 12 several years. IMO the Rodeo is based on the Edge. Same rocker and hull profile. Exceptional handling but wetter than Viper.