ROYALEX/VINYL FADING

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

hammerhead
C Guru

ROYALEX/VINYL FADING

Post by hammerhead »

LOOKING FOR SOME IDEAS TO REPAIR U/V DAMAGE TO OUTER SKIN OF A ROYALEX HULL. DAMAGE IS ONLY IN A FEW SMALL AREAS & NOT SEVERE(YET!). THE BOAT IS A RED DAGGER LEGEND. ANT HELP W/B GREAT.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Krylon Fusion paint. The red matches the standard Royalex red pretty well.
amollohan99
Pain Boater

Post by amollohan99 »

Broam,
Where can you get that stuff, how much does it cost and can it help with severely damamged hulls? The Viper 12 i am using this summer(my bosses), is 15 years old and has significant damamge from weather. Its to the point where low water runs on the LY mid week have cracked 24 in. lines in the bottom where it should usually just scratched it. Its cracking like mud on the bank in mid summer. Fixable??

Andy.

Pray for more rain.

PS. will painting the hull with epoxy before the paint help or will it only increase the weight and change the dynamic of the design? Thanks
Jim P
C Guru

you can get the paint at

Post by Jim P »

home crepo.

But it is only paint - paint that adheres well to plastic that has been cleaned first. Will block UV, won't do much for your boat structuraly. Sounds like your hull has gotten a bit weathered and brittle. Lots of options to extend its life but all will add weight.

-Glass/kevlar/epoxy.
- Glue a vinyl sheet over it.
- ABS putty - search previous posts. - I am experimenting with a promising method of making a thin ABS putty and impregnating woven glass to strenghten weak areas. layering and working slowly to let dry completly. Also you need to support the hull during this work or risk deformation. I found if an area has too much flex, most things don't hold up well.
- just fill it with epoxy like a JB Weld
ABS Plates - heavy like armor plating.
milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

Support the industry. Buy a new Viper from Mohawk. 15 years is more than enough from a whitewater canoe.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

What Jim P said. I have just completed the restoration of the 4th of 5 older Royalex canoes - paint is the last layer.

A note about supporting your work - yes, yes, yes. While using urethane glue to fill some delamination on one boat, I used sand bags to (as CKelly suggested) to keep it from expanding too much. The sand bags were a good thing, but I used too much of a good thing... It deformed only a little, but less sand or some support would have been a good thing.

See : http://picasaweb.google.com/scott.broam/Intrepids for some before, during and after pictures.
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

ha ha, here we go again....
i'm with milkman on this. paddle it till it's done, then get another one.
you guys are so funny..painting your canoe to try to squeeze a little more life out of it. you know you can use that paint on your car tires too :wink:
Larry
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Yeah, Larry, I hear what you are saying, supporting the industry is important. But taking care of your equipment and making it last is not only being frugal but "green". Applying paint may keep the boat from getting brittle, but, it only goes so far - paint might be what Hammerhead needs. amollohan99 might need a new boat... Mohawk is back and making Vipers again...
msims
CBoats Addict

Post by msims »

A couple corrections.

"Home Creepo" ... may confuse some people... call it what it is... "Home Despot"

As well - not sure about being 'green' when you pop open that can of solvent/varathane/acetone and let it dry up yer lettin some pretty nasty stuff go up in the air... well unless you follow the common practice of inhaling most of it... then I suppose it is green.
________
MYWEBCAMHOOKUP
Last edited by msims on Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Point taken. Keeping a boat out of the landfill and reducing/delaying the consumption of new materials ought to count for something.
c1swim
CBoats Addict

Post by c1swim »

STOP SHOPPING at Home d Pot!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm sick of seeing them pop up at every intersection, like a friggen 7-11. and the same for Wall mart!!!!!!!!!!
SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL BUSINESSES!!!!!!!!!
yes, I am screaming.
Kill a creek, build a stripmall.
dance for rain
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

But I get so much exercise when I got to Home Despot and sLowe's! I walk miles looking for what I need or that surly, unhelpful employee who will only tell me that he doesn't know or it is not stocked.

Going to the local Ace Hardware is so much less healthy, heck I can hardly get my heart rate up into the aerobic range, what with the little old lady who knows the exact location of every obscure fastener or oddball tool...
Jim P
C Guru

I hear ya on the big box stores but

Post by Jim P »

Its getting pretty tough to find the little guy any more. The best old fashoned hardware store left around here actually has guys in the aisles who can help you - heck they will find you a single screw - bag it, label it and sell it to you for 6 cents! Quite a loss on a single sale. BUT I go there when I can because I want them to be around. The bad news is they are 35 miles away so not too convienent any more. Gotta combine it with other errands to make it work. Certainly driving 35 miles to buy a screw or can of paint is not economicaly feasable and it ain't very green either.
kx250guy
Pain Boater

Post by kx250guy »

I agree spend money locally as much as possible. Local merchants bank and spend their money locally as well. Money I spend at Home depot ends up in the hands of investors and the Chinese. Ever notice when you start walking toward a HD or Lowes employee to ask them a question they disappear before you get to them? ?
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Two of the best old time hardware stores in our area closed in the last year or so. One was due to a "street beautification" project - the city kept the street torn up in front of their store for over a year making it nearly impossible to get there. The other closed when they announced a new Lowe's would be built about a mile away. There is a local string of hardware stores in town owned by one family that are now part of "Ace" and they do a pretty good job "keeping it real". I'd rather go there about any day, and I often do, but there is stuff you can only get at the big box these days...