C-1 Playboat Advice

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

John Coraor
CBoats Addict

C-1 Playboat Advice

Post by John Coraor »

My oldest son is interested in getting a plastic C-1 playboat as an alternative to the composite slalom boat that he currently paddles for both racing and river running. He will be 15 in November and currently weighs 145 lbs. He indicates that he's mainly interested in recreational play on waves and holes; however, this play is most likely to occur in the course of running a river as strictly park & play opportunities aren't readily available in our area.

I've got 3 other kids, all of whom paddle, so a used boat would be welcome as kinder on the wallet. Can any of you offer good advice as to boats to look out for, either factory C-1s (e.g. Wheelboy) or conversions?

Thanks!

John
RyanGarnett
Pain Boater

Post by RyanGarnett »

What type of paddling will you be doing? Creeking or playboating?
John Coraor
CBoats Addict

Post by John Coraor »

Ryan:

I thought that I was pretty specific in my initial post - my son is looking for a playboat for playboating, not a creeker for creeking.

John
creek1r
Pain Boater

Find a Wheelboy

Post by creek1r »

Started a 15yo out - he tried my Delerious conv. and was thowing ends in 10 min. He got a Wheelboy and is happy with it. Runs class 3/4 rivers. Upper/middle Ocoee, Tellico, Noli, FB9, Maury (Goshen Pass) etc. etc. He is 17 now.
Skip On Ocoee
C Boater

Post by Skip On Ocoee »

I had a friend who is about the same size, he converted a ZG 48, excellent playboat as well as a pretty good river runner.
... I asked myself, why am I here.... what is my purpose.... and then I remember.... milk.... i need to get milk, aisle 5.
AYockey
C Guru

LL Session

Post by AYockey »

I have a nice Session in Westchester county NY. Great beginner play boat especially if you have some experience. It is fully set up for C boating. I don't know if I am prepared to sell but I could let it go for a weekend.

Check out the info:

http://playak.com/kayaks.php?id=451
"The mark of a successful man is one that has sat at his favorite playspot all day without feeling guilty about it."
-Modified Chinese Proverb
HIPPOSTAN
C Boater

Post by HIPPOSTAN »

Hi John,
Bliss stick kayaks have a deal for the USA paddlers.
Buy one, get one half price. I sure one of the dealers over there might help you out.
Bliss stick have a great range of playboats, but you would have to convert it to C1.
There are some amazingly clever C1 boaters over there who I'm sure would help you convert a boat.
Best of luck

cheers
Hippostan 8) :P :D
Kev
Pain Boater

Post by Kev »

Keep your eye out for a jackson 2fun or fun

the classics run 695 NEW.

There's plenty of good used boats out there for 145lbs weight range, that would make a good conversion.