paddle flex

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

oc1paddlr
CBoats Addict

paddle flex

Post by oc1paddlr »

good or bad- I've heard both sides. I would like to hear your thoughts. thanks...
paddlr
red boat ready
billcanoes
CBoats Addict

paddle flex

Post by billcanoes »

hmmm- I was very happy when my paddle got lodged under a rock that it flexed a good 4" or so (the shaft- werner nantahala) while at Wilson creek- I was able to duck under it release the t grip and pull it out in a matter of a second- if it was stiff I would have flipped or it would have broken- who knows- might have been luck-

I use a stiffer shaft on none rocky runs
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

I like paddles with some flex either in the shaft or the blade, mainly because of my tendonitis.
If I use a moderately flexible paddle, I can paddle for several days in a row without my elbows ever really bothering me. If I use however a stiff carbon paddle, then I am done after a day of hard paddling. I know that you loose some energy in the flex, but I think it's greatly exaggeated, at least for non-competition paddling.
I have found that for me the H2O paddles offer great power, but sufficient flex to keep my elbows happy.

martin a.k.a. the great gonzo!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
Kev
Pain Boater

Post by Kev »

martin wrote:I like paddles with some flex either in the shaft or the blade, mainly because of my tendonitis.
If I use a moderately flexible paddle, I can paddle for several days in a row without my elbows ever really bothering me. If I use however a stiff carbon paddle, then I am done after a day of hard paddling. I know that you loose some energy in the flex, but I think it's greatly exaggeated, at least for non-competition paddling.
I have found that for me the H2O paddles offer great power, but sufficient flex to keep my elbows happy.

martin a.k.a. the great gonzo!
I got tendonitis as well and have been paddling a bent shaft since. I love it. I like a stiffer paddle and am currently using the H20 Team Bent C1 Carbon.

I highly recommend checking out their canoe blades and shafts.
Walsh
CBoats Addict

Post by Walsh »

I have 2 galasport 3M's, straight shaft, in kevlar/carbon.

The regular layup has quite a bit of flex, and is easier on the joints, particularly for OC-2.

My second has a heavier-duty shaft made of the same layup and is considerably stiffer - almost as stiff as a glass or carbon shaft. In a C-1, the resistance of the boat is a lot less, so the stiffer shaft isn't as punishing.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

martin wrote:I know that you loose some energy in the flex, but I think it's greatly exaggeated, at least for non-competition paddling.
I wonder if you really lose anything at all, especially if the paddle is "rebounding" while in the water and in a good position. I'm sure there is some miniscule amount lost in the actual flexing of the material (heat of deformation and all that), but it can't be that significant, can it?
wjblatner
c

Post by wjblatner »

Man I'm really interested in this discussion. I love my Mitchell carbon fiber, but never thought much about flex and the effect on joints. My control hand shoulder might thank me for using something a bit more giving. A year and half after surgery I still get more stiffness and neck pain than I'd like.

Bill
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

While paddling I really like the bite of a stiff paddle 8) While trying to sleep I really like a paddle w/ some flex :cry: My Galasport had more flex than my wood Mitchell, but the blade broke. Now I'm down to one whitewater paddle (the all wood Mitchell). It's a great stick, but it is stiff. It's hard on my shoulders. Wish I'd paid more attention to Jimi's grips when we were there. I'm thinking that my "snap-crackle-pop" shoulders would thank me for a Jimistyx :oops:
oc1paddlr
CBoats Addict

Post by oc1paddlr »

thanks,one and all. where does a werner bandit play into these comparisons, I know alot of us use this paddle (any difference between glass/carbon blade and what's the shaft made of). Also, how about the Silver Creek paddles? I must admit I was first thinking about performance, but now I see the bigger picture. This old body thanks you!
paddlr
red boat ready
jim gross
CBoats Addict

Paddle flex

Post by jim gross »

Paddle or should i say shaft flex . HEHEHEHH (sensor tease there) Is nescesary. Other wise you run the risk of exsplodeing a blade, like i did with a Mitchell one day at Heinzerling one day. The flex obsorbs impact and acts as a shock obsorber for the paddler. Very important for C boaters that have 1 shoulder open almost all the time. Every one should try the squirt boating concept that a smaller blade is best. Makes you rely on your paddle less, concentrate and even teaches better technique in strokes, water reading, rolling and braces. Oh yeah i need to make a new C-1 squirt paddle to go with the new boat. Started laying up the deck yesterday with inlay work. The basic hull is done except for the inlay. I have to transffer the pics from kodak easy share to a pdf file before i can post here. JIM
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

If you order a Mitchell, be sure to tell them what you want in the way of flexibility. I have a Mitchell slalom blade with carbon shaft and glass faced, wood core blade, and it is one of my MOST flexible paddles, more flexible than a similar Clinch River. Yet I've heard people with similar Mitchells saying they are quite stiff.

Ask and ye shall receive.
Jim P
C Guru

Jimistick!

Post by Jim P »

I too have joint problems and tendonitis. Started into wood sticks a while back. Got my first jimi stick 3 years ago and things have been much better since. I missed the spoon blade for about an hour or so and never looked back.

He will make every part of the paddle custom for you from the grip to the flex to the shaft size and strength even wood choices to a degree.

Smaller flat blade has less catch, thus less slam on your body, yet provides plenty of push. I recently did my first gig guiding a raft and it had plenty of push to move that raft around with 6 people in it. BTW that first blade finally wore through the dynel on the bottom (in one small spot) after 180 or so punishing river days. For a small fee he refinishes and you start over again.

Read Jim's theories on paddles at his web site.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Re: Paddle flex

Post by sbroam »

jim gross wrote:Every one should try the squirt boating concept that a smaller blade is best. Makes you rely on your paddle less, concentrate and even teaches better technique in strokes, water reading, rolling and braces.
I cut down an old Perception paddle to play with that concept - I like it. However, I do like the pull of a big, squared off spoon blade - lots of power. My favorite paddle of the last couple of years has been a Climax (by Maxwell Johnston) that is about 4" shorter that I would normally have chosen with a bent wood shaft (laminated like a hockey stick). Light and flexy enough but with a good catch.