No wonder canoes are not profitable

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Mr.DeadLegs
CBoats Addict

No wonder canoes are not profitable

Post by Mr.DeadLegs »

Not that I am one to speak, paddling most likely one of the oldest designs in this group, but dam. We as canoeists seem to patch, repair, cut, weld, recreate boats with abandon. The boating companies only need to put out a new line of boats every 10 years. We will then repair, rebuild, remake the boats for ever. We paddle these zombie watercraft forever.
It seems as though the happy flower butted skirt wearing crowd is much nicer to the manufacturers. They get a few little scratches and it is off to buy a new boat. A new hull is out, time for a new boat.
With that said who has an vynal gunneled Encore for sale.

lol

Trey
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways totally worn out, shouting "Holy large steaming pile of dog doo what a Ride" " Nolan Whitesell
cbcboat
CBoats Addict

Post by cbcboat »

"happy flower butted skirt wearing crow", WOW, you should try it sometime it may help your 'open boating'. You could also try a slighlty newer canoe design yourself, you may be surprised the differnece they can make, but as long as you smile while you paddle :D
Mr.DeadLegs
CBoats Addict

Post by Mr.DeadLegs »

I have a torrent and it is a fun toy. As far as real kayaks I don't fit. I am 6'7" with size 15 feet. I have been stuffed into the biggest of kayaks and that is the definition of true pain boating. I have tried a bunch of the Esquid boats and there are a couple I find fun. You seem a little sensitive, PC as far as the kayyakers are concerned. Have your knees gone out and are you about to make the switch? As far as needing a new hull design, not for me yet. I am very happy with the progress my skills have made this year.

If you arn't having fun there is not point in paddling.

Trey
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways totally worn out, shouting "Holy large steaming pile of dog doo what a Ride" " Nolan Whitesell
c1swim
CBoats Addict

Post by c1swim »

Is'nt that a sit-on-top?
dance for rain
Mr.DeadLegs
CBoats Addict

Post by Mr.DeadLegs »

Ya and it is fun. Getting ready to scrape it down the riverbed in about 2 hours. I paddle it when the water is soooooo low that I don't want to kill my canoes.

Trey
c1swim
CBoats Addict

Post by c1swim »

Yea, any time on a river; is good time.
dance for rain
Open Gate
C Guru

Re: No wonder canoes are not profitable

Post by Open Gate »

Mr.DeadLegs wrote:Not that I am one to speak, paddling most likely one of the oldest designs in this group, but dam. We as canoeists seem to patch, repair, cut, weld, recreate boats with abandon. The boating companies only need to put out a new line of boats every 10 years. We will then repair, rebuild, remake the boats for ever. We paddle these zombie watercraft forever.
It seems as though the happy flower butted skirt wearing crowd is much nicer to the manufacturers. They get a few little scratches and it is off to buy a new boat. A new hull is out, time for a new boat.
With that said who has an vynal gunneled Encore for sale.

lol

Trey
Esquif manufacturer seems very profitable, they're everywhere giving boats in all of our festival up here.

This subject has been discussed many times before.
Actually it's a good thing this board exists cause as far as running hard rapids with an open boat, I'm sorry to inform you, but we're a serious minority. And until Esquif did something about it, there was not lots of options out there but to repair or modify these boats to ''up the Ante of what's runnable in an open boat.''

ABS boats will break down alot faster then the plastic boats(under the same type of usage) therefore requiring more repairs. Being able to fix these boats with the ABS paste (new trick since a couple of years only) at such a cheap price make open boating alot more feasable for the less fortunate ones.

Also the market is very different for an open boater that want to do expeditions / tripping over the weekend over a full on open boater running Class V creeks, offer and demand...

Our sport also takes us where kayaks can only dream of (unless raft assisted), therefore requiring more types of boats (solo / tandem, running, creeking, playing, expedition) $$$$$$$. Like one of my 1st mentors used to say, we should have a fleet of boats, one for every type of paddling we want to do.
I'm getting there. Personnally, I like to patch, repair, cut weld all of my 9 open boats(that's all my garage will hold presently), 2 dry suites, wet suites, 3 pair of booties...and on...

I like to beleive I'm doing my share to support the industry, will by more boats in the future, but I will certainly fix my present boats, when I choose a hard line and dent that Royalex, I'm not willing to buy a new one every time I damage the shell.

All you students and less fortunate others, fix these boats and KEEP the C, that's all that matters !
Ed Eout
C Boater

Shucks Trey,

Post by Ed Eout »

There are probably too few of us to keep new designs coming even if each of us bought a new boat every season.

Let's face it - in the same way there will always more people who watch TV instead of read books (or even watch the Simpsons instead of Frontline!), canoeists will always be a minority on White Water. It's hard, takes time, effort and commitment. Who wants to be bothered with that pesky physical and intellectual work?

Uh, did I just say canoeists are smarter than kayakers? Couldn't prove it by me on the Nanty last week - thanks for the heads up on the raft bearing down on me at the falls! :o :lol:
have fun or go home!
milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

In a throwaway society, I think canoeists are to be applauded for keeping their boats afloat as long as possible. Particularly since I don't know of any way to recycle or reuse them except as flower beds, horse troughs, or ? It's great that we keep them out of the landfill until they're too patched to patch anymore.

I also think as this site attests, many of us own many canoes. Some we buy new, others we get used. When a manufacturer puts out a cool new canoe, many of us add to our fleet. We're just like kayakers in that respect.

Kudos to Esquif for proving there's a market out there and making most of those "must have" canoes. Also thanks to Bell, Evergreen and Mad River for continuing to make WW canoes.
Lou
C Boater

Charter membership available

Post by Lou »

Charter memberships are being taken by DBC -- Dead Boat Culture.

No more 1990 Encores available in Pepto, sorry.

Lets see, I do have a couple native dugout editions available. Hull materials in sycamore or walnut.
bearboater
CBoats Addict

Post by bearboater »

œIt seems as though the happy flower butted skirt wearing crowd is much nicer to the manufacturers. They get a few little scratches and it is off to buy a new boat. A new hull is out, time for a new boat.œ
So am I a happy flower butted skirt wearing person because I paddle race boats?

and if you haven't tried, the new happy flower butted skirt needing boat designs change your times in races by considerable amounts... and if you don't race, they can also make rivers more fun to run.

think about how words can be interpreted, this is the internet.

cheers
-isaac
race boats are so fast, i bet its in the speed wing.
Mr.DeadLegs
CBoats Addict

Post by Mr.DeadLegs »

Esquif should be applauded and their merchandise should be purchased. They are the only north american company that is currently exploring new designs in open boats. Bell, Evergreen, and Mad River at least are still making WW boats. I do wish they would support the community as well as Esquif has in the last few years.

Lou I will be heading to Arkansas next week. Want to come down?

As far as Race Boats I would like to try one. Altough racing seems like it would get boring after a while. I would also like to try C1 although I have yet to find one I can fit in. The flatwater raceboats that you paddle on one knee look interesting as well.

Issac, by the way, how does wearing a skirt make a river more fun?

As far as interpreted words on the internet, who gives a rats butt. Interpret them as you will.
bearboater
CBoats Addict

Post by bearboater »

pivot turns, and no bailing are nice things... pivot turns are the main reason I don't OC anymore.
yeah it is the internet, but you can phrase things as to not start off on the offensive side. that's all.
cheers
-isaac
race boats are so fast, i bet its in the speed wing.
oc1paddlr
CBoats Addict

skirts

Post by oc1paddlr »

trey. the c1 crowd wears skirts and I'll bet there is'nt a pansie to be found among them. Hats off to them, they have my admiration. think about kneeling in a yak without training wheels! (and I'll bet that offside goes REALLY fast) and why didn't you call if'n yall paddled- musta known I cut my finger pretty good on a mandolin last night. and yes abs -h2o = torrent
paddlr
red boat ready
adamin
CBoats.net Staff

Post by adamin »

Well, there are over 1100 registered users on this board now, so the community may be a bit bigger than we had thought.

The problem is we're all too cheap:)