Outfitting a Mohawk Scamp (Whitesell Pyranha)

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Outfitting a Mohawk Scamp (Whitesell Pyranha)

Post by PAC »

Okay folks I'm going to pick up a "Mohawk Scamp (Whitesell Pyranha) without pedestals or rigging .... " tomorrow as a loaner for the Downriver Nationals in a couple weeks.

I have not seen this boat (or remember it) and I'm going to need to outfit it in short order as an OC2 set up. So I'm looking for thoughts and ideas for the following issues:
o What does the darn thing look like? I can't find photos.
o I know it was desgined as a OC1 but heard it makes a good OC2. Any truth there... semi fast for a short OC?
o Will be outfitting as OC2 with son as partner - Me 185lb, him 80lb.
o Do I set him up bow or stern - he has limited white experieance (k1, S2 and C2). Hoping his boy scout river trips paid some dividends.
o Easiest OC2 set up to install and maybe de-install?
o Cheap(est) OC2 set up? Modified fence post, modified Team etc or modified Old Mohawk sinlge / double set up. I pretty much have everything required for the above. I even might have a perception saddle (or 2) for set up as well.

Thoughts and / or helpful ideas appreciated -other than getting another boat...I had to scrounge for this one. It was this or a Caption or maybe even metal boat :o .

We're going to race for pride (finishing) not for times so its about fun and teaching the boy about what is required to "get'er done!".

Thanks in advance. Paul C.
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Found this, for what it is worth :

https://www.mohawkcanoes.com/oldads/scamp1.jpg
https://www.mohawkcanoes.com/oldads/scamp2.jpg

Hardcore downriver racers trim the boat slightly bow heavy - when under way, the bow will climb and you will *run* trimmed level. They also put the stronger paddler up front - that is stronger in a physical sense! That said, I'd still put the boy up front!

It's not outfitted at all? Perception saddles could be the quickest and easiest, but your boat will weigh a ton...
Jim P
C Guru

Post by Jim P »

Well - they are HEAVY -

Hull speed is decent - takes a few strong strokes to get em going.

I have one set up for tandem - two mohawk saddles double thigh retainers. Easy to install - perhaps no so easy out.

With you and your son it will run good - over 300 lbs and it will be overloaded and wet.
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

Paul, consider tractor seats w/ a slider in the bow. Add foot braces & you can get some power from your legs. My 2nd choice would be web or cane seats mounted at an angle. You'll have less stability than you would from double kneeling, but more speed. You know the river & your comfort level, so you make the call.

I agree w/ Scott that the stronger paddler generally goes in the bow (it's also easier to trim the boat w/ the big guy up front), but in your situation I think I'd put Jacob inthe bow.

If it's got a bunch of excess rocker you can pull it in to narrow the boat & reduce rocker. It'll be a little wetter, but faster if you can find the dry lines. Just be sure to measure it so you stay within spec. Ed has this fancy laser rig for measuring boats.