ABS Canoe Repair

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Pictureman
c

ABS Canoe Repair

Post by Pictureman »

I recently purchased a used Esquif Blast canoe that has some wear on the bottom. I'm not worried about the normal scratches. I am concerned about three or four "wear" spots. The outer red plastic layer is gone and a white layer is visible (on the chines?). It looks just like someone took sandpaper and rubbed off the outer layer of the canoe. I'm sure that this is normal wear, but I'm wondering if there is a paint or compound of some sort that I can put on the spots to keep them from wearing more. Any suggestions?
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Search the forum - this has been discussed extensively! Lot's of good, if some times conflicting, advice.
philcanoe
C Maven

Re: ABS Canoe Repair

Post by philcanoe »

I haven't read or searched for the repair ....

... but whatever you do at least paint the exposed white areas; as this is the primary UV protection
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

I'm wearing through the vinyl on my 10 year old MR Synergy. I plan to clean, sand, clean with safe solvents, and then put on a couple of concentric layers of bias cut S-glass.

The sharpish chines on Esquifs are a bit more of a problem, but the same approach can be used.
Pictureman
c

Post by Pictureman »

After reading through many posts relating to my canoe problem, I'm now a bit confused. Some say to do this, while others say to do that. Interesting stuff though. I'm thinking I'll put Kevlar skid plates on the chines and have fun with the boat for as long as I can. Installing the Kevlar may make the boat too stiff or make it stick to rocks. I guess I'll find out soon enough. Thanks for the input.
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

Pictureman..... skid plate kits are expensive, heavy, and as you noted, sticky.

For somewhat less money you can get S-glass from johnrsweetcomposites, plus a set of West epoxy cans with pumps, and if you want to go to a little extra trouble, some graphite powder (same source). Mike and Jennifer Hearn will give you details on what you need.

With this approach, your patches will be low profile, more flexible, lower in friction.

At least DON'T use skid plate kits. Just keep painting over the exposed parts. Unless you have evidence that you are about to wear through the outer ABS layer into the foam, you may not need to do anything but paint. Better to run the boat into the ground WITHOUT the skid plate kits. :roll:
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

...you may not need to do anything but paint.
I agree with the shots of paint as requied. Kevlar skid plates along the chines would be a nightmare, and super-overkill for worn vinyl coating!

If it ain't (really) broke, don't fix it.

PY.
greybear
C Guru

Post by greybear »

I had a nitro that did the same, go to and auto supply store get the SEMS vinyl paint they make a red to match your blast and paint the spots. Thje problem is visual, I have seen many of white on Nitro, and Blast. Just paint it for UV protection, or leave as is the chicks dig guys with beat-up canoes they think your hardcore.
Heidi
Pain Boater

repair

Post by Heidi »

The white abs was showing on the centerline of my Outrage, did two coats of Krylon Fusion plastic paint for UV protection and to have a sacrificial layer of paint to take the wear as opposed to the abs.

Well, most of the paint was gone by the end of Louiefest, just eight days of paddling and it's a soft chined boat. For a boat that sees rocky runs you have to keep painting it. I won't waste time or money spray painting a whitewater boat again, unless it was going to be exposed to sitting in the sun during a period of non-use (better than doing nothing idea). After observing how Jim M.'s boat is holding up after his abs paint job I'm thinking that's the way to go even for minor vinyl wear.

In addition to some structural repair, Jim M. painted the worn areas on his Outrage with the abs "paint/slurry" discussed in repair posts. (ABS chopped into pieces and melted in acetone or MEK.) The boat was in bad shape, vinyl gone, abs scraped away, foam showing, sponginess, and thru-hull cracks in bow and stern. Jim paddles alot, class 5 creeks etc., and his boats take a harder beating in one season than many boats see in a lifetime. Since he started doing the abs paint, as opposed to his former repair method of layering glass, the boat that was one creek away from retirement is holding up very well under the beatings. Given proper prep, sanding-off the vinyl, letting thin layers of abs paint dry before adding another layer, the abs paint stays on and is far more durable, therefore, better protection than a plastic/vinyl paint; yeah so it ain't pretty...

...chick who digs hard-core
Baby Falls-Tellico, TN
Pictureman
c

Post by Pictureman »

Okay, I'll bow to the collective wisdom of the board. I'll cancel the skid pads. I might try the melted ABS trick later when the spots get worse. Again, I thank you all for the input and saving me from myself.

Now, I'm going to drive around with the canoe on my truck and try to pick up chicks who dig hardcore canoe dudes! Just kidding.
msims
CBoats Addict

Post by msims »

They'll dig you more with hardcore abs racing stripes. It's like a guy in the military - must have tatoos! Same deal. Just as cool. Semper fi.

[img]http://peter.lpi-solutions.com/personal ... yface2.jpg[/img]
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

msims,

What's the deal with that "racing stripe"?

I assume you painted on an ABS slurry as protection for your chines?

Maybe I'll try ABS "paint" as a skid plate for the front of my wearing Outrage.

Thanks, PY.

p.s. Thanks very much for offering your number for a look-around in Ottawa, I just got to busy with the conference. Next time I'll try to plan some time for a paddle.
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

Anybody use Devcon Flexane to patch the stem and wear areas?

I have a buddy that will not use anything else. He has used it for over twenty years now, and still swears by it. The last time we talked about it, he said that you could get it in toughened versions such as with stainless steel; however the basic Devcon was adequate and cheaper.

He applies it with a putty knife, smoothed to near acceptable, and left alone. Further meddling with, appears to make a mess. His always looks AOK. He said it would flatten out a bit on its own, so don't fret the same stuff. I know he's hard on the bow and stern, boating rocky, SE low water, in the late spring and summer (IE. no to low water!!!!!) with a cooler full of beers(manySSSSS's).

The flexible nature is a plus, over any glass/kevlar/resin patch.

....just curious?
boatbuster
CBoats Addict

Abandon Kevlar skid plates, all ye who enter here!

Post by boatbuster »

:)

This is all very good advice. I have nothing to add...except:

Having ABS patched boats with kevlar and glass for years I switched last year to using heat formed ABS plastic. The melted ABS paint that Jim uses also is a much better alternative to kevlar and glass. The main reason is the kevlar will not flex with your hull, and after a few hard hits it will probably crack the ABS.
LEW
C Guru

Post by LEW »

We have been using paint only on our Esquif Blast for the past 3 seasons.
The boat was beginning to show a lot of white but had no major damage to the ABS. We just wanted to protect it from the sun and further wear and tear.
Lil'D found Krylon "Fusion" in a spray can, specifically for plastic. We have only repainted the boat about 4 times, with very good results. I am surprised that the paint by itself has done so well, considering the abuse our boat takes.
If the only concern is some white showing, then I think it would be foolish to do anything more than spray a little paint to protect it. Why risk making a mess of your boat and hindering the great performance that was built into it?

LEW