Wavesport C1 conversion

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

RyanGarnett
Pain Boater

Wavesport C1 conversion

Post by RyanGarnett »

Hi there,

I am looking to convert my Wavesport ZG54 to a C1. I was wondering if anyone has done this and would have any insight. Also, any feedback on whether these would suffice for knee straps would be great: http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_deta ... 1146691884

Thanks
mshelton
CBoats Addict

Post by mshelton »

Making a bulkhead will probably be your best bet since nothing really sticks to plastic to attach those strap anchor points.

ADHESIVE!!
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Other options....
o fence post conversion
o Team etc conversion
...use the search function for details - both are relatively easy to pull together with limited funds and are not too techincally challenging.
Personally I have converted these: X, XXX, Foreplay, Zwo, Xeno, Micro 250, etc.
Deciding which used was based on what materials / funds available at the time.
I personally also add bulkheads (thigh blocks) with both the above systems. I like to be tight in a boat.
As for straps - I'm currently adding straps to my Finkenmeister using a modify fence post upgrade (2 peices of angle aluminum). I picked up 3' strapping at a local hardware store (can also get at REI or EMS) and using with hardware store D-rings and backpacking clips. The original aluminum worked but was not beefy enough for my liking (I'm blaming Big Al taking the boat out for a demo - I wanted it stressed :wink: ) so its getting re-done / upgraded (4 pieces of angle).
My $.01
Just take your time - stopping to think along the way. Measure 3x and cut once. Ask for ideas and suggestions as you go - folks here have usually tried a number of solutions (once or twice).
PS: I agree with mshelton - gluing to plastic (IMHO) only last for a short period. Under stress the glue fails - usually at the worst time. :roll:
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
RyanGarnett
Pain Boater

Post by RyanGarnett »

How would epoxy hold up on the plastic? I know it has been used for other canoeing ventures and mounting bindings on skis.
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

Epoxy would not bond to the plastic, and would shear off when you didn't want it to. Before folks became comfortable working with sheets of plastic (TEAM ETC conversion) or creative (Fence rail, etc...), it was more common to lay up a BIG sheet of glass on the inside of the boat (several layers) then bolt it to the boat.
Keep the C!
Adam
cbcboat
CBoats Addict

Post by cbcboat »

If you happen to have access to old boats that are beyond repair I would suggest cutting the hulls off and using that plastic to attach evrything to and then bolt that inside the new boat.
2 good things-- adds rigidity to the hull and if done thoughtfully can be removed and used in other boats. I have done this in two different boats using the fennce rail idea without all of the metal hardware, and it has worked quite well and is very inexpensive. :D
Thanks
B
CrazyRiver
c

Post by CrazyRiver »

I am thinking of getting a zg54 for conversion, let me know how it goes/went and how you did it, thanks
wannabe whitewater girl
c

Post by wannabe whitewater girl »

I have a Prijon Delerious a friend has told me I should convert rather than sell - been thinking about it - any info on conversion will be avidly read (& appreciated)...(any thoughts on how well a Delerious converts to C1?)
michielv
C Boater

Post by michielv »

A friend of mine has a Delerious as a C-1 and it's a great boat. Too bad he works for a kayakcompany that sells Wavesport and Fluid so he is not allowed to paddle any other brands in competitions and generally in public. He can't take it out much but when he does it's fun (he does have a Transformer and Flirt both in C-1 though).

If you alreayd own the boat, convert it becuase you won't get much money for it anyway and the design makes a great C-1.
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

wannabe whitewater girl wrote:I have a Prijon Delerious a friend has told me I should convert rather than sell - been thinking about it - any info on conversion will be avidly read (& appreciated)...(any thoughts on how well a Delerious converts to C1?)
The Delirious is a good C1-conversion, as long as you are a small person (which I, at 6'1" and ~190-195 lbs, am not)
I had one for 2 seasons and while it was awesome for surfing, when I took it into big water (Ottawa) I spent most of my time trying to stay upright and keep the ends from going down.

The boat is wide, which gives it great initial stability and is extremely slicey (one of the easiest boats to learn flatwater cartwheels in), my problem with it was that the edges were essentially under water and that they would catch all the currents, but I would say that if you are under about 160 lbs, you should not have these problems and to fine in it.

martin a.k.a. the great gonzo!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau