Memorial Day on the Ocoee

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Detonator Function
Pain Boater

Memorial Day on the Ocoee

Post by Detonator Function »

Just giving a shout out to those who were on the Ocoee this Memorial Day weekend. There were several c-boaters ripping up Hells Hole... including a Robson CU Fly.

I also think there was a Savage Skeeter, and there were plenty of Mad River, Mohawk, Dagger, and Esquif canoes, too. I was in my Super Fly, so there was a great mix up of canoes.

Good to see other single bladed paddles on the river, I get lonely sometimes.
Is this a rock I see before me?
oc1paddlr
CBoats Addict

ocoee

Post by oc1paddlr »

If you don't mind paddlin with oldschool, I need to get back on that fat puppy. maybe the tail will shake the ole dog, that would be Steve,ocoee. Trey wants a trip too
paddlr
red boat ready
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Do you have a pump in your SuperFly

Post by Wendy »

I want to paddle my Spanish Fly down the OCoee, but there are a few areas I will probably fill up with water and a pump would be nice.
oc1paddlr
CBoats Addict

wendy

Post by oc1paddlr »

oh come on wendy... i paddled theOcoee all my life w/o a "pump" , just skirt the white stuff. I dump as I load my boat(on a good day) Just Kidding. Way to go on the Fly Mayhapes we shalte paddl together
paddlr
red boat ready
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

I have paddled for years without a pump but

Post by Wendy »

it is so much fun not taking the dry line. I can take the dry line all day but the meat in an open boat is so much fun. Well, once last year I paddled the right third of Double Trouble on the Ocoee backwards while chasing an empty canoe.
oc1paddlr
CBoats Addict

wendy

Post by oc1paddlr »

i know you were not chasing me in my empty canoe, were you(just kiddin). A good side-surf is when i like to fil-er-up and git down. as i said, let's paddl...
paddlr
red boat ready
Detonator Function
Pain Boater

Well, the cool thing about the fly is that if you are full, you can lean over and a good bit of water will pour out. I think it's worth paddling the fly, makes things more interesting.

But i still love the feeling of riding over holes and waves in a nice big canoe (I love my detonator, see my screen name).
Detonator Function
Pain Boater

Oh, speaking of Double Trouble, I pinned sideways above the waves and ultimately swam the entire length of the rapid :P

Wendy, do you paddle a Zephyr?
oc1paddlr
CBoats Addict

nice BIG canoe?

Post by oc1paddlr »

descender
paddlr
red boat ready
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Lets paddle yep a Zephyr Spanish Fly OCoee etc

Post by Wendy »

I paddle a Zephyr, but after I had a bulkhead installed with a pump we discovered a small crack near the stern. This boat has been very durable so far. I have paddled it on average 2-3 days a week for a year. Jacque is sending a repair kit to Eli.
So-----while I have waited for the repair I have been paddling the Spanish Fly. It is so much fun. I also kayaked for years- so what I love is the hybrid feel of the SF. My knees and veins won't take the low saddle of a C1. Last week I saw the Viper mentioned in another post and bought it as a backup, race boat, big water, whatever.
OC1nr- I am ready to paddle it. I will be able to get back to the Ocoee in 2 weeks.
Detonator Function
Pain Boater

Hmm, I'll be on the ocoee tomorrow... how bout the rest of the non-weekday working crowd?