What would it take to get a demo day set up on the Noli???

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

bald1
Pain Boater

What would it take to get a demo day set up on the Noli???

Post by bald1 »

Anyone but especially Louie,
I am thinking of getting an event organised, hosted by the Appalachian Paddling Enthusiasts.

I want to try to entice some of our "more experienced" boaters to become more active and maybe encourage some Kayakers to give c-boats a chance.

So I am thinking a canoe day on the Noli is in order, and I am thinking this would be in August.

What I need to know is how to contact Esquif about coming down with Demos for folks to try out. Do they ever do this?

What would I need to do to entice some of the more well known open boaters to come and paddle with the masses.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Bryan(cruise director for the APE's)
mshelton
CBoats Addict

Post by mshelton »

I don't know if it would work but what about during CCC's Week Of Rivers, seems like there may be more folks down there from other parts of the country at that time.
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

Ain't Louie fest... you musta' missed it. :D
mshelton
CBoats Addict

Post by mshelton »

I was in a coma for about 20 months, I missed a lot.
bald1
Pain Boater

Post by bald1 »

Actually I was at ain't louie fest the first weekend. It was a blast, but I would like to tweak that a little.

Ain't Louie fest attracted lot's of active C-1ers. It was great but those who showed seemed to be in the know.

My goal is to get unactive paddlers in my area to have a renewed intrest. I want dedicated butt boaters to have an oppurtunity to at least paddle around an open boat. Most kayakers have never even sat in a canoe.

I won't lie, I am also looking to promote the APE's. In fact that is my primary goal. We need more members, and we do that by getting our name out.

But C-boating needs members even more than the APE's. I think boaters in the area would be interested, especially at a time of the year with no other events and very likely the only river running may be the Noli. With an easier section new paddlers, or interested butt boaters could try their hand with a single stick.

Just thoughts, I won't spend much energy on this if it doesn't look like it could come to fruition. I guess I just think that if open boaters don't try to grow their sport it will, without a doubt, die out.
We may be seeing the last generation of open boaters.
Randy Dodson
C Guru

Post by Randy Dodson »

Sounds like you might want to contact Eli Helbert and his trailer full of Esquif boats.
Parrot Head Paddler
Oci-One Kanubi
C Guru

I'll come, Kevin.

Post by Oci-One Kanubi »

If I am not already committed for whatever weekend you choose.

I'm well-known; just can't paddle worth a darn. Does that qualify?
-Richard, His Kanubic Travesty
--
Nothing really matters except Boats, Sex, and Rock'n'Roll
greybear
C Guru

Post by greybear »

Bryan count me in I can get some time off on a weekend in August if need be and I can help you out too jsut contact me, me and the Zephyr will be there to help.
philinasheville
C Guru

Maybe for me

Post by philinasheville »

Keep me posted. If I'm in town that week I will make it. I may have an extra boat or two to bring also. Not sure if you remember me, but we paddled together at louiefest. I was in the zephyr on clear creek.

Phil
bald1
Pain Boater

Post by bald1 »

I appreciate the interest guys.

So here it is...The APE's first annual C-boat Extravaganza, August 4th on the Nolichucky river.

I don't know how big I can grow this thing, but what the hades, I will give it a shot.

It may turn out to just be a couple of canoers running the gorge, but we shall see.

-Bryan
Detonator Function
Pain Boater

Post by Detonator Function »

I agree with talking to Eli, he is usually very busy but his schedule is posted somewhere on the web (http://home.rica.net/phelbert/bbb.html). Although his schedule is open then, you will definitely need to ask him if he wouldn't mind coming.

Anyways, I'm all for said event. If you want to start advertising it, I will do my part at the boat store I work at in Dawsonville (the outside world). Maybe we can work on a little flyer. It is a long drive from down here, but everybody knows somebody else...

Let me know what I can do to help!
Is this a rock I see before me?
oc1paddlr
CBoats Addict

ape

Post by oc1paddlr »

I would like to throw in with yall on the chuckie. It would be so cool to have a gathering of the tribe from time to time. paddled clear creek(daggerocoee), like to see the magic flow
paddlr
red boat ready