North Branch Armada April 27-29th 2007 Roll Call

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

ohioboater
CBoats Addict

I'll be there

Post by ohioboater »

Not sure if I'll have family along or just me. Either way, I'm looking forward to it. I'm game for a Loop or Lower run on Fri, too. I paddle on the right and could be talked into trying C2.
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

thoughts

Post by PAC »

First off – Martin beware of Captain Blye (aka KNeal). I suggest you wear a padded PFD and helmet with really good back head and neck protection! The Deadline cockpits are close and Neal gets a tad excited (LOL)!

Ohioboater - on C2ing be very careful what you ask for! ;-) You can easily get hooked!

John C. things have not changed you can still blitz the sucker and there are times when permits are not needed! You need to come on back! J

Brendan I’m open for suggestions but that is because I’m not doing my traveling. What times can folks make it and what side trips are folks up for? I would think meeting at the boater’s parking lot at 9:30ish would be a good time for setting up the Loop run. That will give folks time to change and for us to set up the 5 minute shuttle. Water dependent of course! Folks need to be aware that the Loop is a nice run from 1’8” up to about 8’ after that there are spots that …well you might not want to go there. The Yough is class III (+/-) and you should have a roll and know how and can get to specific eddys. Beat downs are not that bad but since this will be April the water might be higher-ish and swims will be longer and cold (at least for the folks from south of the mason-dixon line). Some folks might not even feel comfortable with it over 3’ while other will be hoping on it at 10’+ - so lets play that card on game day. If the water is up boaters who show up have the skills / boats a Meadow run trip could be a back up – takes a tad longer since it’s more of a creeker. But very fun. Or if there are two groups (creekers and non-creekers) and things are running ... :-) !!!

Huge – it will be good to see you again! And Adam’s prototype will be available ( Mike you hear that too)!

Adam – grey and large for me as for the T and make sure you bring all the troops with you! J

Oh and for those heading south or willing to put in a bit more drive time north you’re welcome to crash at the mtn shack (20 minutes form the LY). It might be as fancy as a festival hall but we have dry floor space and we’ll try to live up to the “Louie Fest” standards! Just let me know so we can get directions out .

Also lets hear about side trips - PS Composites? Other thoughts?
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Re: thoughts

Post by the great gonzo »

PAC wrote:First off – Martin beware of Captain Blye (aka KNeal). I suggest you wear a padded PFD and helmet with really good back head and neck protection! The Deadline cockpits are close and Neal gets a tad excited (LOL)!

Ohioboater - on C2ing be very careful what you ask for! ;-) You can easily get hooked!

John C. things have not changed you can still blitz the sucker and there are times when permits are not needed! You need to come on back! J

Brendan I’m open for suggestions but that is because I’m not doing my traveling. What times can folks make it and what side trips are folks up for? I would think meeting at the boater’s parking lot at 9:30ish would be a good time for setting up the Loop run. That will give folks time to change and for us to set up the 5 minute shuttle. Water dependent of course! Folks need to be aware that the Loop is a nice run from 1’8” up to about 8’ after that there are spots that …well you might not want to go there. The Yough is class III (+/-) and you should have a roll and know how and can get to specific eddys. Beat downs are not that bad but since this will be April the water might be higher-ish and swims will be longer and cold (at least for the folks from south of the mason-dixon line). Some folks might not even feel comfortable with it over 3’ while other will be hoping on it at 10’+ - so lets play that card on game day. If the water is up boaters who show up have the skills / boats a Meadow run trip could be a back up – takes a tad longer since it’s more of a creeker. But very fun. Or if there are two groups (creekers and non-creekers) and things are running ... :-) !!!

Huge – it will be good to see you again! And Adam’s prototype will be available ( Mike you hear that too)!

Adam – grey and large for me as for the T and make sure you bring all the troops with you! J

Oh and for those heading south or willing to put in a bit more drive time north you’re welcome to crash at the mtn shack (20 minutes form the LY). It might be as fancy as a festival hall but we have dry floor space and we’ll try to live up to the “Louie Fest” standards! Just let me know so we can get directions out .

Also lets hear about side trips - PS Composites? Other thoughts?
KNeal, Sounds good, I am in :D ! Should I practice my defense spells :lol: ?
http://cboats.net/cforum/viewtopic.php?t=5019

PAC, don't worry, I will wear my Galasport creeking helmet with the face mask then! If needed, I can also wear my lacrosse body armour in addition to my PFD :lol: !

Meeting at the boaters parking lot at 9:30 AMish works for me, and Visiting PS composites sound great to me, I would definitely be up for that!

cheers!

martin a.k.a. the great gonzo!

A
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

So, PAC. You just could NOT leave the issue alone, could you?! :evil:

I just want to reclarify, again, that I was simply communicating to Paul and felt that he was not listening to me. So, a few "taps" to his back to get his attention and he now makes it sound like I'm some kind of nutty c-boater! :D Well, the truth depends on which cockpit you were sitting in at the time. And I know Paul and I will never let that ride down the Yough Loop fade into distant memory. At least not until we actually run the Ohiopyle Falls in his plastic c-2--with me in the bow this time. :o

Martin, I promise to be kind and controlled with you, but it's not a bad idea to heed Paul's advice. :wink:

Huge, really looking forward to seeing you again. Worried that you were gonna become a legend that we only speak of, kinda like our beloved, and much missed, Kalin Pallett.

KNeal
jnorto01
C Guru

C Armada

Post by jnorto01 »

Hey Guys, I got it on the calender. Undecided on friday though, but if I can get off work I'd be up for a LY run. Will be bringing my Zoom and Wavesport X. Maybe the glass Cruise (loose) Control. Jim
Scott C
Pain Boater

Post by Scott C »

I am giveing it some serious thought but work may get in the way. Call it 75% for now but I would love to come down.
~~~\open side up/~~~
C1Dub
C Guru

cant't make it

Post by C1Dub »

Sorry, can't make it this year, I too will be in NH racing at the Blackwater Slalom. See you there John. Have fun all.

Natalie
Kelly-Rand
CBoats Addict

Post by Kelly-Rand »

I'm a maybe at this point. I have a project due the 27th.
The Castleman is a nice paddle if the Yough is too high. It has been ten years since I paddled it from Markleton. And on that trip we lost / wrapped the first canoe I ever paddled serious WW around a rock. I was'nt in the boat at the time, as I had moved on to an XL13. We did save the beer cooler. That was also the last of the beer cooler runs.

til next
Jim
Jim KR

"with single blade in hand
a C-1 I will stand"
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

Hey Jim, there's lots of time between now & the 27th for your project...git 'r done so you can come to the Armada.

It's always good to save the beer cooler :D One day this winter, one of the kayakers put beer in a dry-bag & stuck it in the stern of his boat. It was nice to sit on a rock in the middle of the river w/ a cool one :wink:

Matin, considering how much taller you are than KNeal, maybe you should paddle stern. You know how he likes to switch sides & there's NO WAY he'll clear your head w/ the paddle :o

Yesterday I paddled the Acrobat for the first time since September. I'm WAY out of practice :oops: It was survival paddling :cry:
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

Mike W. wrote: Matin, considering how much taller you are than KNeal, maybe you should paddle stern. You know how he likes to switch sides & there's NO WAY he'll clear your head w/ the paddle :o
Mike, I don't think I am really taller than KNeal, but I take your suggestion in consideration :lol: ... I guess I will have to wear my creeking helmet with the face cage. And since I play box lacrosse once in a while, I am used to have sticks whacking away at my head once in a while ... :o ...

haven't had my Acrobat out on the river since September... :-? ... I would like to take it out this weekend, but since all I can wear to fit my boat in it are board shorts, I think I'll hold off on that for a little longer...
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
John Coraor
CBoats Addict

Post by John Coraor »

Back when I paddled C-2M with my wife, the back of my helmet (in the bow) always bore white scrape marks from her Norse paddle. I always told people that it was evidence of how she would beat me if I hit a gate. However, the truth was that we were positioned close enough together that her paddle would often graze my helmet whenever we rolled.

Somehow, I liked my story better!

John
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

It doesn't really matter how tall the bow paddler is, the stern paddler pretty much stays on the same side the whole time. Truthfully, I would be happy to paddle bow-righty in that boat. That's what I did with Bob Gunst paddling stern left and we had a really nice time. We also got pretty decent with rolling on the left as well. :D But that was before we raced in the OLD c-2. Gotta work on pedestal and knee cup positions in the Deadline. They were set up for the Soileaus and after kneeling in their outfitting, I'm convinced their legs are shorter than mine. PAC and Bob can verify that part.

Too bad there won't be other c-2 boaters. Maybe?
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
webdweller

If you have time come visit the Adventure Sports Center . .

Post by webdweller »

Greetings, fellow C-boaters. I hope to make the gathering, but at the very least I hope some of you (all of you) can drop by the Adventure Sports Center on top of the Wisp mountain. We are minutes from McHenry, and we would love to give any of you a tour. For more information, please call me directly at 240-321-1672.

Also, anyone have an acrobat for sale?

Matt Taylor
Director of Operations
Adventure Sports Center International
mtaylor@adventuresportscenter.com
Matt Taylor
Director of Operations
Adventure Sports Center International
ofc: 301-387-3250
cell: 240-321-1672
www.adventuresportscenter.com
Walsh
CBoats Addict

Oh, yeah

Post by Walsh »

I've penciled this in to the calendar. Can a first-timer show up at the cquirting event with only a playboat to trade around?
webdweller wrote:Also, anyone have an acrobat for sale?
If you wanted to go one generation back, you might get a good deal on an aerobat. I believe this one's been on sale for a while.
http://www.cboats.net/cforum/viewtopic.php?t=5822
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

Hey Matt, Do you have camp sites? Showers? Seems like I saw a post on another board about you having a mystery spot, or has 3rd shift just turned my brain to mush?

If a certain "project" comes along quickly & I think I can adapt to it, I may have an ugly master cut Acrobat for sale. See May of the CBoats calendar for the pretty end :wink: I've also been thinking of an Oxygen (yeah, it's easier to paddle than the Maven :o ). Come on out to the Cheat on Friday to try some squirts with us. You may find something more interesting than an Acro.

Walsh, come on. You can play in my Acro.

As for C-2, I'm willing to give it a whirl if anyone (PAC) has a boat & isn't scared :wink: . I'm primarily a righty, but can pull off rolls on either side...I just have to think about that lefty thing.