North Branch Armada April 27-29th 2007 Roll Call

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

North Branch Armada April 27-29th 2007 Roll Call

Post by Sir Adam »

I know it's a ways out, but I thought we should start figuring a few things out, as logistics will be a bit different this year than the past few:

-We'll likely stay at either the Savage River camping spot (primitive) or the Deep Creek Lake Campground (a bit more expensive than Jennings Lake (25 vs 22), but not by much) http://www.dnr.state.md.us/publiclands/ ... klake.html

-Friday will again be the "Adam Drop" or "Cquirt Fest", depending on what you want to call it, making a stop at a place or two of interest (Jimi? PS again?)

-Sat. North Branch as usual
-Sunday will be what it is, as usual

One BIG question I have for folks - IF there was a t-shirt for this event, would you buy one? If we can get an order of 15 or more together I can get them cheaper from CafePress and bring them down with me...say, $10 for a "cheap" white T-shirt, $12 or $14 for a "nice" grey or organic cotton T-shirt...let me know if there IS interest, and if so for what type of shirt, then later on we can post the design and talk about how many I need to order.
Keep the C!
Adam
Brendan
C Guru

Post by Brendan »

I am 90% on making it at this point, and would be glad to get the tee shirt- I wish I was in Lenoir City picking up an ALF tee shirt. Grey or white, makes no difference to me.

Any interest out there for some folks to paddle the lower Yough on Friday of Armada weekend?
Brendan
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Armada

Post by PAC »

I'm 99% in. As for the LY if folks can get there early we can nail an early AM Loop run (in under 2 hour and that includes some play) then do some feild trips and then hit the Alleys for drop time (Cheat Narrows).
The key is what do folks want to do?
A Full lower run would take longer but what the hey we can maybe mix and match a couple groups to do the Lower (full and loop+).
Last year I did a loop run at 6PM after the Narrows fun so just lets just see the interest. Let us know!
Paul C.
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Hate to miss it guys :-(
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

I'll be there. It's the group that makes this Armada what it is, so I'll camp wherever y'all want to.

PAC, I like the idea of an early loop run, followed by drop time :D

I'd prefer grey or organic over the white shirt, but I'll buy an XL of whatever you bring.

Boats I can bring:
Viper - full cut
Acrobat - master cut
Big EZ
Forplay
Let me know if you want to paddle any or all of these & I'll toss 'em on the truck.
Big Al
CBoats Addict

Post by Big Al »

Count me in. And I'm always in need of t-shirts whatever.
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

Count me in as about 80 % sure (work could interfere... :-? ...).
I would be in for Friday, PAC's plan of a Loop run followed by (at least attempted) drop time sounds great to me :D !
As far as T-shirts are concerned, I side with Mike W. and prefer a grey or organic shirt size L for me.

As far as boats I could bring are concerned, this is what's in my quiver:

Acrobat
America C2
Finkenmeister
Pagan
Prelude
Sith
Wheelboy

Let me know if you are interested in a particular one, and I'll make shre it finds it's way onto my roof racks!

Cheers!

martin a.k.a. the great gonzo!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

You can count me in. Like the others, white or grey does not matter. If it helps, make an executive decision to sell grey ones. I'll take one XL and one large (for the missus).

Here's a thought about going to Deep Creek Lake--primitive campsites ARE more expensive (by $2/night), but they also have "bear huts" (open-sided that holds 3 people) for $40/night; yurts (fabric tents w/ floor and furniture?) for $50/night; and camper cabins for $50/night. Those choices cost less per person and the campground has HOT SHOWERS! That oughta keep Mike W. very happy.

Lower Yough Loop with an Adam Drop on the Narrows would make for a great Friday! Anyone want to run the Loop with me in the Deadline c-2? Boats to bring:
  • full-cut Viper
    squashed-stern Atom
    squashed plastic prototype Riot Groove
    Deadline c-2
KNeal
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

KNeal,

are you a lefty or righty? if you're a lefty, I am in for running the loop in a C2.

martin a.k.a. the great gonzo!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

I paddle lefty. So, you'll be paddling right in the bow. :D

KNeal
huge
C Boater

Post by huge »

Adam,
Count me in for one "L" tee shirt. I would tend toward the nicer shirt myself.
Looking forward to seeing the Maven in action on Friday (You are bringing it, right?) What is the weight range of your boat?

huge
John Coraor
CBoats Addict

Post by John Coraor »

Hate to miss another Armada, but the kids and I are headed to the Blackwater Slalom in NH that weekend. So many rivers, so little time!

KNeal & Martin: I'm envious. The Lower Yough used to be a favorite C-2 training run for my wife & me in the early 80s. When nothing else was running we used to blitz down from Penn State at noon, put on at 3 PM when you didn't need a permit, sprint down to Bruner Run, throw the boat on the car and blitz back. Ah, the memories!

John
Brendan
C Guru

Post by Brendan »

PAC- for the option you suggest, and I like it- Loop early, over to the Cheat for Adam drop- break it down in terms of time to be places.
Brendan
adamin
CBoats.net Staff

Post by adamin »

HUGE!

Great to "hear" from you again!

There will be a Maven or two in attendance (one cut for 160 or so, the other cut for 190...not sure if LEW will bring his (cut between those two).

There MAY be another unheard of squirtboat there as well...we'll see....

It would be great to have you there...that way at least one of us would have a clue what we were doing!
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

adamin wrote:...Maven or two in attendance (one cut for 160 or so, the other cut for 190...not sure if LEW will bring his (cut between those two)
I thought LEW's Maven was cut for 195 :wink:
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/wh20crazy/a ... 48767508/6
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/wh20crazy/a ... 48767637/7

A master cut Acrobat it aint :o