Which Slalom boat ?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Col
Pain Boater

Which Slalom boat ?

Post by Col »

Hi,

Im looking at buying a new slalom C1. I have the opportunity to get a Galasport Ninja Pro 370 for a good price but am i worth spending slightly more for a boat such as the Vadja Martikan 350 or Vajda Lizard 350? Are there huge differences between the boats of old ish and new?

Thanks

Colin
C - UNIT..!
TomAnon
C Guru

Post by TomAnon »

Wow tough choice. These are all very different boats. The big difference right off the bat is the Ninja Pro is about 20 cm longer than the Martikan and Lizard 350.

Here is my take:

Martikan is a very narrow and edgy so it will be a handfull to paddle. If it suits your style it could be a very fast boat for you. The performance envelope would apprear to be very narrow just looking at it on "paper". This is one boat I would not buy site unseen. See if you can demo one. You could make a big mistake with this one or a huge gain.

Lizard 350 has more volume in the bow and will be more forgiving. It is edgier than the Galasport boats. This will be a boat more suitable for a broader range of paddlers.

Ninja Pro is not a bad boat to own. It is the precursor to the Makao. Volume is spread out on it a little more than the Makao and Loco particularly in the stern. Try to get the build specs on it. If it was built for someone your size and the outfitting works for you, it could be a real deal.

Someone had the link in here, I think I found it through David Florence's website, where the UK Vajda dealer had a Menace (Lizard 350?), a Martikan and a Lizard to demo. I would get my myself overthere and try'em out.

Also, I see you are in Cheshire? In looking around for a ACE helmet I found out they where originally manufactured by A C Canoe Products, Cheshire. You familiar with them?
Col
Pain Boater

Post by Col »

Hi,

Great information, thanks you. Yes the A C Helmets were made just outside of Chester where i live. As there not CE aproved i dont think you can buy them new anymore although i had a yellow one which i recently sold on ebay. Lots of paddlers at my local club have them so i am sure i can source one for you. Let me know colour and i will ask around.

A C still make boat hulls and apparetly do a lot of mouldings for many UK manufaturers, there factory is huge just outside Chester. The owner Robin Witter is a member of out canoe/ sailing club so i will speak to him. The helmet was a classic and an updated version in similar construction to the Wildwater Comp helmet sure would be awesome.

Colin
C - UNIT..!
TomAnon
C Guru

Post by TomAnon »

Here is the link:

http://www.hydrasports.co.uk/index.html

Seems like the Martikan is being successfully campaigned by a number of your folks!
bearboater
CBoats Addict

Post by bearboater »

personally my favotire boat of the few you listed is the Vajda lizard. I have paddled the older 355 one from last spring when Vajda began cutting down the boats. the Ninja is an excellent boat too though. it is definetely easier to paddle. but it is 370, and you notice the length compared to the shorter boats. I haven't had a chance to try out the martikan. but if you paddle like him, then that would be a sweet boat. but if you make some mistakes, and are closer to the real world of paddling, then maybe like tom says try one first.
Prost
-Isaac
race boats are so fast, i bet its in the speed wing.