Boat selection

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

varvr
c

Boat selection

Post by varvr »

I am new to the forum and a returning (hopefully) OC-1er. I have a question about two boats and their usage, capabilities, limitations, etc... The Zephyr and a Millbrook Rhumba. While I know these are two relatively different designs I'm wondering what is more appropriate for the types of rivers I paddle. I primarily paddle the James (downtown) and to a lesser degree the Maury. For those of you who know these rivers, what do you think? I really like the qualities of the Rhumba but I am uncertain of the durability; as for the Zephyr I am curious about the material and its possible limitations (if any). Any thoughts/ comments will be greatly appreciated. For those who care, my last OC-1 was an Ocoee.

If anyone in the Richmond area has either one of these designs and is willing to let me test drive, please contact me at your convenience.

Thanks for the help,
John
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

check out this link from post on Zephyr or Paradigm

Post by Wendy »

http://www.bobfoote.com/bob/bobesquifrealationship.htm
Excellent read to understand Bobs new boat- Paradigm and some info on Zephyr
richard
c

rhumba

Post by richard »

I paddled an Ocoee for years. I own a Rhumba and have paddled a Zephyr multiple times...The Zephyr material is pretty interesting but the hull cannot compare to a Rhumba. The Rhumba does everything well, it is dryer than the Zephyr, faster than the Zephyr, quicker to respond than the Zephyr. It loves aerated water, surfs with ease...it just isn't a rock basher...

so...if durability is your prime concern, I'd go with a Zephyr, But if performance is important to you the Rhumba is infinitely more boat...in fact there is no comparison.

(the ideal "quiver", I think is an Ocoee and a Rhumba)

good luck!
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

There's plenty of water in the James. I've paddled my glass Viper up there a couple of times. Paddle the hull that performs better.