Swiss Armada 2007 - May 17-20, Boltigen, Switzerland

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Taniwha
C Guru

Post by Taniwha »

I think, in due time, NZMatt will post directions and more inside information to find the meeting place.

Or on May 17th, follow any car with c-boats on top through Switzerland. That will lead you the right way. :lol:

CU there...
billcanoes
CBoats Addict

ARMADA

Post by billcanoes »

Hi-does anyone already have plans on picking people up at the Geneva or Berne airports for this event, and if so mind picking up another paddler?

To be honest I don't think I'll be going- the price for a tkt was a little high- but I'm thinking of trying "name your own price" but wanted to ensure I could use a boat and hitch a ride- I have a small tent for camping I assume aluminum poles are ok on airplanes- it looks like there will be a few boats available to use- and some other class III paddlers.

Thanks
Bill
NZMatt
Supporting Paddler

Travel info ....

Post by NZMatt »

Hi Bill

It'd be AWESOME to have you here!

Well, I don't know my travel plans the week before, but I can assure you it's easy on the train. Train connections in this place rock (see www.sbb.ch for schedules, fares, special options, etc.) Happy to provide more info and a bed before/after if you need. Just drop me a PM or email nzmatt (you know this bit) bluewin.ch

Zurich, Geneva or Basel are normally the cheapest airports to fly into. For Bern I can definitely pick you up, but it's normally pricey (very small airport). Best train connection is Zurich, followed by Geneva, then Basel last.

Boats should be no problem. I also have some extra sticks, although they may not be your favourites.

Unless you snore, a tent is not needed - there's a simple dormitory in the hut. If you do want a tent, can easily loan you one plus bedroll (I think I've got about 4 tents and 4 bedrolls floating around here somewhere).

Hi Olaf,
I'll post directions in a separate post shortly. I'll also have signs posted and boats visible at the hut from Wednesday evening onwards.

Cheers,
Matt
NZMatt

Hmmm....new country, new rivers...-
Still not enough c-boaters....
NZMatt
Supporting Paddler

Swiss Armada DETAILS

Post by NZMatt »

Gudda y'all,

OK, it's about time I posted some details.

Here's the plan:

We meet at the KKS club hut "Bauertweidli" in the SImmental, paddle for a few days, hang out, tell tall stories, maybe drink some beer, eat some food.....is that good enough?

No, well, how about a bunch of demo boats (Thanks Falk!), some awesome Bernese Oberland rivers (options from grades I to V) and lots of new friends in cboats? Better?

OK, more seriously. I'm going to keep the organisation to a minimum. We've got the hut to sleep in and cook in. There's a good place for grilling, or if the weather turns nasty (which does bring more rivers up :) ) then there's plenty of restaurants around. There is space to park campers and space for 2-3 smallish tents. Use of the hut and facilities is c. 10chf per night. There are also lots of little hotels if that's preferred.

We'll meet at the hut at the following times, I'll post a list of rivers that are possible and let people decide what they want to do. I'll try to make sure we have someone to lead each river - for the harder ones I'll probably call on some of my kayaking buddies who know them better than me. We should be able to cater to all abilities.

Meeting times:
Thurs - 12noon
Fri, Sat - 10am
Sun - 9am

Paddling options: park and play if the levels are appropriate, squirt boating, creeking and river running (some play, but it's not epic).

Basic Directions:
From north or west find Bern. Drive towards interlaken until you see an exit marked for "Wimmis" and "Zweisimmen". This goes into the Simmental. Take this exit and follow the main road into the Simmental. After a tunnel this changes from a highway to more of a rural road. Continue along the main road until you come to a tight s-bend in Weissenberg (30km/hr speed limit for the bend). From here you get a pretty good view of the river on the left. Keep on going on the main road. Try to watch the road not the river as it curves a lot. After a while you pass a chicken farm on the left and a bit further along if you're watching teh river instead of the road you'll see a boulder weir in the river. Just after this the road crosses the railway track. Just before the railway track is a gravel heap and some buildings on the left between the road and the river. The club hut is one of these. You'll see c-boats and signs. We'll be there from Wednesday evening on. A little past the railway is Boltigen - if you make it to Boltigen you've gone too far. Turn around and come back.

From the East it may be easier to head to Interlaken than Bern. If so, continue from Interlaken towards Bern and take the exit for Zweisimmen and Wimmis. Follow as above.

PUBLIC TRANSPORT - for airport info see above. For trains, if arriving early (Wed PM) aim for Konolfingen or Thun and I'll give you a ride. If later, aim for Spiez or Boltigen and we'll find someone to pick you up.

To contact me: +41 (0)31 791 23 50 (hm) +41 (0)31 790 16 39 (wk) +41 (0)79 573 9979 (cell).

If you need more info, drop me a PM or send me an email.

Cheers,
Matt
NZMatt

beereddy
C Guru

Swiss Armada 2007 - May 17-20, Boltigen, Switzerland

Post by beereddy »

I will bring

Esquif Zephir
Pyranha Prelude

--------------------------------------

One Foot in the Grave?
Paddling on After 50
fez
CBoats Addict

Post by fez »

@billcanoes: if you would fly to Basel on Thursday the 17. we could pick you up eventually on our way to the gathering

@beereddy: great that you will come all your long way !
imagine
NZMatt
Supporting Paddler

Awesome!

Post by NZMatt »

Great to hear it Beereddy - I look forward to meeting you. If you need to fill the car for gas money, feel free to bring some buddies - kayak or canoe is fine by me if it gets more Cboaters here :)

Cheers,
Matt
NZMatt

Taniwha
C Guru

Post by Taniwha »

The invitation for the Swiss Armada in the German KANUmagazin is out just now. I hope that many c-boaters will read it and come...
Raff
C Boater

Short visit

Post by Raff »

Hi all,
I will be in the "berner oberland" just for a short visit on friday. Its high season and I have to work :-?
Probably I will arive thursday evening and stay until saturday morning.
See you,
raff
NZMatt
Supporting Paddler

Sounds GREAT!

Post by NZMatt »

Hiya Raff
It'll be good to see you again!
Matt
NZMatt

billcanoes
CBoats Addict

Swiss Armada

Post by billcanoes »

Thanks Matt- Olaf and Thomas for the offers for my visit- I wont be going this year- I can't tell you how excited I was at heading over there- so many things fell into place perfectly but on the other hand little obstacles kept coming up - but between the 3 of you you each offered to help so I wanted to say thanks-
NZMatt
Supporting Paddler

Bummer!

Post by NZMatt »

Hiya Bill
Sorry to hear that...start planning for next year NOW :)
Cheers,
Matt
NZMatt

olafc1

Post by olafc1 »

Hi Bill,

>I wont be going this year-
Sorry to hear that too.

>Thanks Matt- Olaf and Thomas for the offers for my visit-
It was a peasure for me !
Looking forward to see you next year :-)

Olaf
Taniwha
C Guru

Post by Taniwha »

I just had a look at the pictures from last years Swiss armada again:

http://www.cboats.net/gallery/index.php ... %2Feur2006

Yeah, this is a meeting I'm looking forward to. If anyone out there is still undecided whether to come or not: see those pics and then think about it again. The decision will be easy :wink:

CU all there. Nine days to go.
Taniwha
C Guru

Post by Taniwha »

Just received the last of the demo boats this morning.

I (and Roland with his trailer...) will bring:
  • Bell Prodigy
    Mad River Canoe Outrage X
    Robson Homes
    Robson Finkenmeister
Then there's my own DAG Scandal C1 and Siggi, who will be driving with me, brings his Dagger Quake. He has a Mohawk Viper 11 too, if anyone is interested?

Then there is Rolands Esquif Nitro, ahh, well, a lot of boats. Sabrina will only bring her paddle, the same is said for Jan.