I know some people will shun me for this...

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

RodeoClown
BlackFly Canoes

I know some people will shun me for this...

Post by RodeoClown »

I know that some people will shun me for cutting up a perfectly good Spanish fly, but let's face it, this looks like a heck of a lot more fun:

I took 17 3/16" out of the center and welded it back together. So far it seems to be holding alright. Total length is around 7'3", and even when it's full, the ends are still out of the water, and I can get the bow down in flatwater.

Jeremy
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

Cool! I think I saw once anothe picture where someone cut up the ends off two Spanish Fly's and welded the remaining boats together to create a Spanish Fly OC2 :o :D ! That's a boat I would like to try 8) .

martin a.k.a. the great gonzo!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
Alden
CBoats Addict

boatin

Post by Alden »

Shunned, my friend, shunned.

Will the real Jeremy Laucks please stand up? I believe that the squirt boater and open boater are beginning to melt into one - open boats getting smaller, slicier. Now you're getting the bow down in the flatwater, tomorrow you'll be getting the first ever open boat mystery move.

"At home, drawing pictures, of mountain tops, with his open boat on top . . . Lemon yellow sun . . ."

Alden
bearboater
CBoats Addict

Post by bearboater »

that's sweet and it looks a hades of a lot faster than the robson CU fly. or Robson box as a more appropriate name.
Prost
-isaac
race boats are so fast, i bet its in the speed wing.
squeakyknee
CBoats Addict

Post by squeakyknee »

Bet it spins like crazy on a wave.
I LIKE IT!!
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Shun? Mr. Longboatin maybe. As long as you don't convert it to a kayak not many here would shun you.
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Whoa.....

Post by PAC »

Jeremy

That really looks like fun! Flat water open play boat - definitely a shift in the paradigm. What's next open boat squirt boating - whoa my brain hurts at that option!

So you found a solution to worrying about "finding" a nice park and play spot, just find a place to park and go play!

How does it track / run things? I can see it at the Falls Race putting pressure on the freestyle crowd! :-)

What are you calling it the Spanish Drosophila melanogaster (fruit fly), mosquito, No-see-um, or gnat?

I also liked fez's Xeno C2 post in the gyramaxen tread (http://cboats.net/cforum/viewtopic.php?t=5302)!

The things folks come up with never stops to amaze me! Keep it up! Paul C.
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
billcanoes
CBoats Addict

open boat squirt boating

Post by billcanoes »

I already did that at the lake- take the airbags out of the superfly- fill it with water and hold on :) it defiantely got a few chuckles
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

Jamie Burbek and James Weir (Brits) have been doing that few a few years now... I wouldn't say that doing it makes it a better boat other than for playing. If you had a broken or cracked one maybe... otherwise I can't see doing that.

Hope it's fun! :D
bearboater
CBoats Addict

Post by bearboater »

i was under the impression that the fly was a play boat? was it designed as a runner? I had always perceived it as a hole boat from the ends. mind you I have never paddled one.
Prost
-isaac
race boats are so fast, i bet its in the speed wing.
CosmikDebris
CBoats Addict

Post by CosmikDebris »

I recently squirted the Upper G in this...http://cboats.net/c_db/view.php?name=Ae ... _id=7...it was quite a good time. Can we say "splat"
RodeoClown
BlackFly Canoes

Post by RodeoClown »

Actually, I've gotten the whole boat under a few times- when it's full and I try and do an ender at a spot like tumblehome, it sometimes mysteries unintentionally. I can also stern squirt it on a strong eddy line. I took it down the gauley last weekend, and it' s a heck of a lot of fun both for play and going down river. I've got to say though, that the lack of a flat section in the rocker profile makes it very slow on a wave- it tended to ride up of the stern a lot, making it hard to spin.

My plan now is to build a composite version with a better hull to use for worlds at Buseater. I'm thinking I'll also round off the ends a bit too. I'm told that the bugs at the Ottawa are very bad that time of year, so the boat will be dubbed the "Black Fly"