I am pretty convinced

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Matt Fritz
C Guru

Post by Matt Fritz »

My Loco and a Makeo Jr. for my wife will be in DC in a couple of days. I need a little advise on outfitting.

Are people using a foam pedistal or the composite seat it comes with?

How about thigh straps?

Does it come with anchors for the straps and if not how are they installed? I was thinking of glassing in d rings.

Also I understand an atom skirt will fit the Loco, but anybody know for the Makeo Jr?

Thanks in advance. I am working on getting my boats a ride to Charlotte and picking them up there. If it works out I want outfit them out there so we can paddle the new course, thus I need to get everything ready beforehand.

Matt
TomAnon
C Guru

Post by TomAnon »

Let me take a shot at these items:

Are people using a foam pedistal or the composite seat it comes with?

I used foam for my Loco and Makao. I dropped a note to Gala and they said if I decided to use the seat to make sure I set it atop the foam insert the boat comes with. You will see it attached to the rear wall. You will need to carve it down to the desired height and then glass the seat flange under the cockpit rim. A huge pain in the butt. Not much room under the rim to manuever material around either. So, I knocked out the foam piece and installed a nice comfy minicell pedestal with a small back rest and tunnel for my toes. Trevor Soileau makes a nice composite pedestal that I will use next time. See, www.treybay.com Also, some nice outfitting pics.

How about thigh straps?

The boat does not come with thigh straps nor anchors. I have been using kevlar and glass or carbon/kevlar with frayed nylon rope for my anchors. I use a single rectangular piece with a slit cut in the middle that I pull a loop of frayed rope through and then epoxy it down. Mask everything off real well and use peel ply. Be carefull with epoxy quantity as you want this pretty near dry so as to eliminate sharp points. I can send a few pictures if you want. Also, I use two inch webbing with quick release clips and slide locks. Velcro is nice as well.

Also I understand an atom skirt will fit the Loco, but anybody know for the Makeo Jr?

The Makao skirt is in between the Round(old school) and Atom skirt. From Snapdragon I think it is a, C1L, where C1 fits the Zealot/Fanatic etc and C1XL fits the Cascade and Atom.

If it works out I want outfit them out there so we can paddle the new course,

Be carefull, it is going to take some time and experimentation to get this right. Mistakes can be very messy. You will find the Makao easier to set up. The Loco a little harder because you have a big cockpit to play around with. Getting the trim dialed in is crucial. You can about eyeball them to neutral which is where you want to be at first. I cut my saddle long so that it sticks down into the rear area and is keyed into the center wall. That way I could paddle it pretty agressively without having to glue the saddle to get the trim close.

Another hint is to measure and remeasure for the centerline of the boat. This not a guaranteed thing from the factory. Left, right, bow stern. Mark it permanently in the boat. You will need it.

And Most Importantly, MERRY CHRISTMAS!!
Alden
CBoats Addict

boatin

Post by Alden »

Isaac,

Nice to see you're enjoying the new race boat. I may be moving in the new boat direction myself this summer - we'll see. I like that new Estanguet one (whatever the one your son has, Tom). Another guy here in DC just got one too.

Are you racing out in Montana? I'm personally saving myself up for the expense of emotion (all happiness, I'd imagine - and perhaps some gloating) that comes when I take my old slalom boat down the Gauley next and get a splat-to-end-all-splats down at Postage Due . . .

Speaking of splats and boat repair, I recently "cut down" my Shubak by "splatting" the wall of the Dickerson artificial course, which, as many of us know, is made out of 30 grit sandpaper. I lost control doing a dive gate and my bow went right up the wall and then scraped back down some three feet, leaving a trail of yellow paint. Fortunately it happened to leave the paint in a pattern, and when I went back to look later, the paint actually spelled out "Clapton is God." Either way, as many a cboater has said before, "The boat is in the repair shop tonight."

Alden
Matt Fritz
C Guru

Post by Matt Fritz »

Tom,

Thanks for the info. I just ordered everything for outfitting except the straps from Sweet Composites.

For the straps, I have always used velco straps with d-rings, but this time I want to try the nylon rope anchors with 2" webbing and quick release buckles as you suggest. What type of buckles are you using? Are these the cam type? Do they allows the straps to be snugged up tightley? Also, are they safe (will they open easily under load) if you have to get out quickly?

Thanks again and merry christmas to you as well.
Matt
TomAnon
C Guru

Post by TomAnon »

Matt,

You can find all the thigh strap stuff at: www.strapworks.com

You will want four of the double adjustable, side buckels, 2" found here:
http://www.strapworks.com/Side_Release_ ... /srbda.htm

Add, eight of the acetyl plastic slides locks, 2", found here,
http://www.strapworks.com/Acetyl_Plasti ... s_p/ps.htm

and about 24-30 feet of the tubular webbing, 2", found here:
http://www.strapworks.com/Nylon_Webbing_p/tnw2.htm

The tubular webbing I have found is much more compfortable than the flat as it is softer. It also holds on the slides and adjuster better. Also, pick a nice color match your boat. Same for the rope you use for the anchors.

The side buckels release pretty quick although you do need to have the presence of mind to reach in there and feel around for them. I would try to get use to not putting them on so tight that you cannot get out. Try to deal with limiting your motion another way. Knee cups, and foot tunnels carved under your saddle work real good. Shin braces, ankle blocks, higher seat back, hip blocks etc. can help as well. The straps should just hold you in the boat when upside down.
bearboater
CBoats Addict

Post by bearboater »

Alden,
I began my small career out in montana, and then decided to move to the coast to pursue it further. the new Makao should be sweet. also something to consider is the new ITOMCO ORCA, i know it's not the same as the makao, but I am pretty excited to get into one. a friend uses one, and he loves it as well. what layup are you thinking of getting?

Matt-
I went with a bulkhead and a singular strap system. I have a Northwater padded straps with Quick release fastec Buckles. they are awesome. If i were you, I would start with the trim about 3 inches from the rear of the cockpit rim. The stern is so easy to get down, that it's way better, and you get much more glide from being a few inches forward. if you want pics send me a PM with your email, I actually have my boat with me here in Colo, so I can take/send them tonight. or I could send you some from my phone to your email address. I would also think again about the course, a swim in an artificial course is the quickest way to break a new boat. I am not questioning your ability I have seen your offside/onside roll video, but the artificial courses are unforgiving. GOOD LUCK with the boat, and I hope all goes well!!!
Prost
-Isaac
race boats are so fast, i bet its in the speed wing.
Matt Fritz
C Guru

Post by Matt Fritz »

I've just got word my boat is safely in DC and I've found a ride for it down to Charlotte. I'm so excited.

Thanks Tom, I've found all the strap materials here locally.

Issac, thanks for the pedastal location info. I'll let you know where mine ends up.

Matt
bearboater
CBoats Addict

Post by bearboater »

I hope all works out, and the Loco should perform well on that course as it was designed "so I am told" for the Athens course. I.E. big pushy water. oh wait, thats what the Charlotte seems to be. that's rad that your wife got a makao junior. you will definetely have to tell all about the course. I know there is a training camp going on from the 26 dec -1 jan. I think Cathy Hearn is coaching the next Olympians down there during that time. I know a few kids from Colo who are going out there for that. When are you going to be there?
Prost
-Isaac
race boats are so fast, i bet its in the speed wing.