ABS for Royalex Repair

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Jon
C Guru

ABS for Royalex Repair

Post by Jon »

I have heard of making a 'paint' using black ABS plumbing pipe and acetone to put a protective coating on worn Royalex.

Does ABS plastic come in any other colours other than black?
dixie_boater
C Guru

Dissolving ABS in acetone

Post by dixie_boater »

I don't know if ABS pipe comes in many colors other than black and white. I wouldn't worry about matching the color of the hull if that's what you're trying to do. The more important thing is how you apply the paste.

Acetone will destroy a Royalex hull if left in contact with it for a long time. This is the problem with using dissolved ABS plastic to create a protective coating over worn spots. Be sure you apply the paste in very thin coats. If you put it on too thickly some of the acetone will not evaporate because the outer surface of the paste will dry first. The dry outer surface will "trap" the acetone underneath it. It has no way to evaporate now. The "trapped" acetone will begin to soften the hull's outer layer and will eventually work it's way into the foam core. The hull will become soft and easy to push in with your finger. Take my word on this please. I learned the hard way by trying to put the paste on in thick layers on a Mohawk Scamp. The stern grunch became so soft that the hull caved in when it hit a rock. The boat was rendered useless and fit for no other use than a planter :(

Michael
Michael McCurdy
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

Why not get some S-glass and West epoxy from Sweet Composites and put a single layer of glass over the worn area? Epoxy adheres really well to clean ABS. S-glass stiffens, and it wears well, better than E-glass. You can put more layers over the worst areas.
msims
CBoats Addict

Post by msims »

one reason: cost. abs pipe/acetone costs you a whopping total of 15$ and it's simple to deal with.

Yes - It does (rarely) come in grey (same colour as most hulls). Not sure where you find it en mass though.

Just be sure you don't buy PVC! ;-) I waited a good two weeks wondering why my abs wasnt dissolving! doh!

If your boat is so worn down that you have to do this, then celebrate it! Kinda like old folks celebrating their senior's discount. I did my nitro up, now it's the coolest boat on the river, with racing stripes. Some people have camaros, I had my nitro. Too bad I sold it. Sorry I don't have a photo avail online anymore..[/img]