dry suits

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

beereddy
C Guru

dry suits

Post by beereddy »

What is more comfortable to paddling in OC, dry suit, dry top and dry pants or neoprens
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

It depends on the water and weather of course. If I don't want to get wet, like in the winter, I wear a drysuit; but if it's a smokin' hot summer day, I prefer neoprene (the water is always cold in BC).

In my opinion, a connecting dry bib and dry top do not seal well enough for open boating. Anything more than a quick, mild swim and you'll be taking in water. Still better than neoprene for cold-weather paddling, but not fully dry.

P.
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

Dry suit all the way! No bunching in the middle. I just bought a new one with gore-tex socks sewn in. They are WAY more comfortable than the ankle gaskets that my previous suit had :D The socks also make it easier to get the suit on & off. Be sure to get the relief zipper too. That way you don't have to remove your helmet & life-jacket, then take the suit down to your knees & try not to pee in the suit :oops:

I used to wear a wet-suit & had to cut out the backs of the knees to help circulation. It was ok in the boat, but cold when I got out :roll:
ChrisKelly
CBoats Addict

Gore-tex is a gift from the GODZ

Post by ChrisKelly »

Gore-tex dry suit, with booties and relieft zipper. I swim in January and can drive home in the clothes I wear under my dry suit.
Chris Kelly
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

If you want the best protection then get a full drysuit. The best protection may not be required if you paddle C1 (a dry top might do it).

Kokatat suits are very good.
http://www.kokatat.com/

As others said, go goretex with socks and a relief zipper. If you also paddle a C1 then also get a tunnel.

There is no turning back once you go dry....
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
chuck naill
CBoats Addict

I made a mistake

Post by chuck naill »

I would really consider a full dry suit with some good layering peices underneath.

I made the mistake of getting a two peice a few years ago when I was paddling a Spanish Fly. If you take a swim you will be wet.

Since going C boat all the way, I presently like to use my dry top, with a pair of NRS Hydraskin tights. I also use a Mystery long sleeved shirt and other layers as needed. I also would recommend using a Mystery helmet liner for the cold protection and also for the ear protection.

If you really want a two peice, would probably think about those dry bibs.

Chuck
Jim
C Guru

Safety

Post by Jim »

Like Chuck- I when I am in a C-1 prefer a dry-top. Just remember, as was posted in a different thread a couple of weeks ago, that the ability to participate in some rescues will be severly limited if you are not wearing a full dry suit.

Have fun out there.
Jim
Heidi
Pain Boater

palm drysuits

Post by Heidi »

Palm Drysuits is another brand to check out. Here's a recent thread
http://www.npmb.com/cms2/forum_viewtopic.php?4.33302

gortex, booties and relief zip - worth the bucks
Baby Falls-Tellico, TN
squeakyknee
CBoats Addict

Post by squeakyknee »

Mike W.'s suit is pimp!
My top and bottom just don't cut it for rough :evil: swims.or jumping out of your boat feet first.(not a recommend test to do on a 38F day.)
And the ankle gaskets suck to deal with.
Suit for the cold cold months for sure.
I modified an old Whites suit to fit my lanky body(added 3' to the ankles above the booties.
It's not the prettiest suit youve ever seen,but it keeps me dry
Shawn
MotorCityOC-1
C Guru

go big or stay home!

Post by MotorCityOC-1 »

Gortex drysuit w/ integral booties and a relief zipper fer sure. When I bought my first OC-1 I bought a high end drysuit and I've never regretted it for an instant, despite the fact that it darn near broke the bank. I briefly considered coated nylon and I'm so glad I went with Gortex. A non-breathable drysuit would be a sauna!

Kokatat wouldn't put a drop seat in a mens suit for me- apparently they've never had a Malox Morning :o

If I could do it all again, I'd try to find one with a tunnel gasket/draft tube/whatever for decked boatin'- but not at the expense of the other key features I mentioned.

-K
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

Hey Kevin, What's a "tunnel gasket/draft tube"?

You bring up another good point about the non-breathables. The 1st dry-suit I ever saw was a nylon one. They guy called it his "personal sauna". It was nasty. At the end of the day he'd stick a couple of fingers in his ankle gaskets to let the sweat pour out :-? Man, that was just nasty. You never regret buying the best.
billcanoes
CBoats Addict

dry suit

Post by billcanoes »

Mike

Most dry tops have an internal and external layer fromthe chest down. the internal layer goes down, then the skirt, then the external layer- OC! dry suit don't have the extra layer- which is fine but if you use it in a c1, then it goes suit -then skirt, so there is nothing blocking the water from dripping down the skirt/drysuit- you still are dry, but the inside of the boat gets some extra water.

I hope I explained this properly.

I had an expensive drysuit, but it wasnt breathable, so I sweated inside of it, which ended up making me cold. Now I just have the drytop and hope I dont swim, or need to assist in rescues. I took a safety course last year, which stated, dress for the weakest member in the paddling party. Usually it's me :)

Bill
MotorCityOC-1
C Guru

???

Post by MotorCityOC-1 »

it's one of them thingys what pulls down over the top of yer sprayskirt tunnel...

I seen one in a pitcher once
riverright
c

NRS dry suits

Post by riverright »

Don't mean to hijack the thread...

But has anyone had any experience with NRS Extreme Dry Suits? Its made out of 420 denier, 3 layer TriTon. Anyone know the material, can comment on its breathability?

I too want to avoid the all Nylon suit and the "personal sauna". Just wondering if the NRS suit is a cheaper alternative to some of Kotatats, stohlquist,etc.

What do you think,

Brad
chuck naill
CBoats Addict

NRS

Post by chuck naill »

You can take anything that NRS sells to the bank. Good, solid, well thought out peices of equipment.

IF money where no object, and that being seldom the case, I would have an NRS drysuit. They have some discounted right now and are giving away boaters bucks toward purchased for next year.

Chuck