OC footwear?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

ohioboater
CBoats Addict

OC footwear?

Post by ohioboater »

What sort of footwear do you all wear in your OCs? Right now, I use rodeo socks and keep a pair of tevas stuffed under the airbags to put on any time I have to walk any distance (putin, takeout, lunch, portage). It works, but if I have to walk/wade/rock scramble on short notice, the rodeo socks are too thin--stone bruise city!

I use a Mohawk saddle, so I need to be able to comfortably have the balls of my feet on the pegs (toes flexed rather than pointed).
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

When I was paddling OC (Probe 11 w/ Mohawk outfitting) I used NRS Kickers. They had enough flex to allow me to curl my toes under the pegs & were tough enough to walk anywhere.
dixie_boater
C Guru

Here's a thread on footwear

Post by dixie_boater »

You may find some footwear suggestions to your liking in this thread:

http://www.cboats.net/cforum/viewtopic. ... ht=booties

I bought a pair of Chota booties with felt sole inserts this summer that work well for me. I also put the balls of my feet on the pegs and find these booties to be comfortable in that position. The felt inserts provide great traction on slippery rocks.
ohioboater
CBoats Addict

thanks

Post by ohioboater »

That's a good thread - same subject line even. That's what I get for not doing a thorough search first! :oops:
jnorto01
C Guru

OC-1 shoes

Post by jnorto01 »

I have Mohawk outfitting in my Shaman and my Zoom has the Yak foot pegs in it too. Sturdy sneaker like shoes work just fine with this outfitting and are much safer for out of boat activities. ( better not to have to put on an extra pair of footwear to respond to an emergency). I use Columbia River trainers. They are a water specific sneaker like shoe. I can wear 2mm neoprene socks in them for cold weather. Good soles although I have thought about gluing some felt to them for better traction on river scum coated rocks. The Solomon Tech amphibians look like they would be good too. Jim Norton
NSOC1
C Boater

Post by NSOC1 »

I have some "salmon" shoes that look like sneakers but are made of this very tough mesh material and are light like sandals, but dry very quickly, easily, and drain well.
David Nickerson
Pain Boater

Another Columbia River Trainer user here...

Post by David Nickerson »

I picked up a pair for a Grand Canyone trip a few years ago, and totally swear by them. Nice stiff sole is easy on the feet up against the pegs.

Great for hikes, drain and quickly.

The only downside is that they tend to collect sand and silt pretty easily... but will rinse out super-easily.

I couldn't get them from REI anymore and recenltly found and bought 3 pair from an online dealer for only $25 or so a pair.

I tried one of the Salomon offerings, and they just weren't comfortable for me. I also wasn't crazy about the lacing/camlock system.

Happy Paddling!
-David
chuck naill
CBoats Addict

NRS

Post by chuck naill »

I have been wearing these shoes from NRS, several styles to choose from. I have been involved in Swift Water Rescue classes with the high top ones. I wear no socks, but then I paddle a c-1. The only issue is for the slalom boats as far as getting in and out of the boat. ALso, you would want to get the type that does not have a strap going across the top of the in step. :wink: See link below.

http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product_list.asp?deptid=1169

Chuck 8)
Heidi
Pain Boater

Post by Heidi »

OC - summer I wear Salomon Techamphibian. They are advertised as having sticky soles, I'd say better than sneakers but not as sticky as I would like but they do offer firm toe protection and they drain. Technicas make claims to being sticky too, but I don't have any first hand experience with them.
OC - winter Chota booties with the straps because they're the only footwear I could find to allow for drysuit booties. Still looking for something that has a deeper sole to top ratio as the snugness is probably a major factor in cold toes. Going bigger doesn't work because its the height of the shoe not the length that is the problem. Tried the hand warmer chemical packs taped to the underside of my toes but didn't notice any difference. Best luck I've had with the cold toe problem is with battery operated socks.
C1 Slalom - NRS booties no strap
Longboatin
CBoats Addict

footwear

Post by Longboatin »

I wear my feet dammit. Tevas strapped to a thwart, barefeet all the way. Essential for feel in paddling a longboat. In the chillier weather booties and polypro socks.
MotorCityOC-1
C Guru

big 'ole shoes

Post by MotorCityOC-1 »

How about court shoes with gummy soles. I useta buy Haarken deck shoes designed for sailing, but they were about $65, so when I wore out my second pair, I bought some cheap-o court shoes.

IMHO, booties with thin soles, neoprene socks, or bare feet are for folks who never EVER come out of the boat, never need to move fast on shore to help someone out, never go creekin, etc.

On those rare occasions when I paddle my C-1, it never ceases to amaze me how god-awful neoprene booties are for walking around on rocks- or even down a grassy hillside.

If I ever need some serious, time sensitive help on the river, I hope nobody in my party has to stop and put their shoes on before they can scramble along shore with a throw rope.

This is not meant as a dig against people's personal preferences, just my two cents.
chuck naill
CBoats Addict

Motor CIty Makes a Good Point

Post by chuck naill »

MotorCity makes a good point on why wearing shoes with good soles and stabilty make sense if not from a personal preference, but also from a swift water rescue perspective. :P

THis Spring I took a swift water rescue class. THis was one of those classes where we did not use boats. I was in my dry suit and PFD, helmet, and NRS paddling shoes all day. I would not have been able to participate without them because I would have become hypothermic and would have damaged my feet. :wink:

THe instructor said that he wears the equipment he needs to be in a position to help in a swift water rescue at all times. :o He explained that standing in cold water setting up safety lines require the best you have in equipment

Obviously there are times like slalom races and play holes where there are people on the sides of the rivers that can provide safety if needed. 8)

Lastly, good shoes are important if you need to hike out from a remote river. :wink:

Chuck/Knoxville
cnoble
c

oc boots

Post by cnoble »

A few things to consider;

What if you have to hike out of the wilderness because you or a friend is injured, or you lose a boat for various reasons?

It is too late to hike out of the wilderness and you must spend the night. Warm, sturdy boots, are nice around the campfire. If you have a campfire!

You could find yourself in the water for extended periods of time getting boats or people un-pinned.

Traction, soles, weight, support and warmth are important. You can compromise in warmer weather or water.

I find that the lower price range of diving boots can be the solution.
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

When I first started paddling I used to paddle barefoot all the time. I am now convinced that good river shoes, no matter how uncomfortable they may be, are an essential piece of safety gear. I once had a long hike out with a hypothermic friend in 2mm neo socks. OUCH! In a rescue situation seconds can mean the difference between life and death. The time it takes to fumble around for your tevas and put them on could be better used helping your buddy. As a side bar, I never take off or even unbuckle my helmet on a portage or bank scout. The rocks on the bank are usually just as hard as the ones in the river. Bests, Jack
creek1r
Pain Boater

Footwear

Post by creek1r »

My BigGun C-1 is so roomy I can wear NRS Work Boots in the boat. They are basicly 7mm neo hiking boots (lace ups). These I use for really cold or remote paddling. Great for OC-1.