Week of Rivers -CCC

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

billcanoes
CBoats Addict

Week of Rivers -CCC

Post by billcanoes »

Who is going to week of rivers with Carolina Canoe Club?

I'll be there Friday 7/1 through Monday 7/4. Would love to paddle with some other canoeist. For those of you who are unfamilliar with WOR, you camp at Smokey Mountain Meadows, and meet daily at 8 and get a break down of river levels. Then you break up into smaller groups depending on ability and interests.

It's pretty fun.

Bill
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

I'm on call through the 4th. Depending on how late I have to work Monday night will determine when I head out on Tuesday. I'll probably be there for the remainder of the week.
billcanoes
CBoats Addict

Week of Rivers

Post by billcanoes »

Does anyone have a full cut acrobat they can bring to WOR? I'd like to try one. I'm amazed at the difference between the mastercut acrobat and the full cut Sith. Obviously, I'm not ready for the mastercut, because I couldnt paddle 3' in it.

Mike W.
I'm trying to work out a way for you to keep the boat up there a few days. I'm also debating heading back for the 2nd weekend.

Janes- are you going to be at WOR after the 5th of July? If so could you hold on to a boat for me for up to a week or two?

Bill
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

Bill, I am not sure wether the difference between the mastercut Acrobat and the fullcut Sith is due to the cut alone. Keep in mind that the Sith is not a squirt boat per se, but more like a slicy playboat, more along the lines of a Delirious or Forplay, although I have to say that with my cut down (don't know exactly what kind of cut it is) sith, I have no problems initiating stern and bow squirts.

martin
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
billcanoes
CBoats Addict

Sith

Post by billcanoes »

Hi Martin,

I made a typo- I can't paddle the mastercut acrobat- I wanted to try the full cut. I have little experience in "cut boats" and want to learn how the difference in volumes affects the boats- I tried, briefly, the mastercut acrobat.

I heard the delirius was unstable, Kneal has one, but it was also shrunken, the sith is amazingly stable, in my opinion. The Sith looks simillar to a delirius, the Sith is a prettier boat http://www.kayaknews.ca/yak/boats/PrijonDelirious.shtml

I'll post some pictures tonight, but the hull has a tier, which I assume lets it spin and gives better edge control. I felt I could run New River Gorge in it, which for me is approaching the max of my skill level. I can't wait to get in on the river. My inclination is it will be an awesome river runner capable of really fun playing, excluding loops, but it seems like it will be an awesome surfer, squirter and bow stalls, though I was concentrating looking at the bow when doing flat water stern squirts, so they were really sloppy-but that was more of a paddler error- I'm still learning how to do this stuff- I'll post my impressions after a river run. I'd actually rather have other people do it though, but I try to stay unbiased.

Bill
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

Hey, Bill. While I may BE delirious, I do not own one--though I think PAC has one that I paddled last year on the Slip. And, umm, let's not talk about about things "shrunken" :o . Thanks for getting your trips posted. I enjoy keeping up with what rivers are getting boated.

And, yes. There is no such thing as "too many armadas". 8)

KNeal
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

well, well, well...

Post by PAC »

KNeal I agree you are DELIRIOUS but I don't own one either. It was a smashed Zwo (which might be looking for a new home so let me know if anyone has an interest) that you paddled and paddled well. 8)
I also agree you can never have too many Armadas - which begs to ask the question who is planning the Gualey gig for Fest weekend? I know Big Al and Mike W. is on board with CB'ing (C-boating). Motor how about you and Ron? KNeal you are such a keen organizer - hint! :wink:
Bill as for the full cut Acrobat it just so happens I'm finishing up the outfitting and most likely taking the bat boat out this weekend. So since you'll be up in the Ohiopyle area and I'll be away on vacation early Aug. IT might be up for a river trip. Let me know interest as the dates get closer. Paul C1
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Bill,

I had a Delirious before the Sith, and despite the similar look, there are huge differences. On flatwater they are very similar, the Delirious is maybe a tad easier to throw around, but once you get into current the differences become clear.
In water where I was just struggling to keep the deliriuos from stern Squirting and bow stalling and just generally upright, I can actually concentratye on what I want to do or where I want to go in the Sith.
Squirts are a breeze in the Sith and surfing or spinning is just outstanding. and on a wave it carves really nicely.

martin
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

I'm bringing my 1/2" cut Acrobat to Week of Rivers. It won't get there till Tuesday though. There is a huge difference in performance between my 1/2" cut & Adam's master cut :o I'm not ready to run any rapids in a master cut, but was comfortable on the NBP in my boat.

If Janes can't hold the boat for a couple of weeks I can :D I could manage to get it back to you. It's only 4 hours between our towns.

creek1r has a Delirious. I haven't tried it though.

I bought a Forplay last night & should have it done in time for WOR. I plan to do a bulkhead / lapbelt set up in this one. If I get it close to right I'll bring it & leave the Big EZ at home unless someone wants to try the Big EZ.

I am going to Gauely Fest :P There should be another C-1'er in our group. Yeah, that's the same group that bailed on me last year, but I think they'll show this year. Eric needs to come too. I hope to hit the Lower G. & the New River Gorge. I need to call the Galasport rep & get him to bring the knee cups so we can check 'em out. He was suprised that I asked about them last year.
billcanoes
CBoats Addict

WOR

Post by billcanoes »

Thanks for all the input- Alex will be at week of rivers and Mike W, myself.
Anyone else?

Martin,
I'm glad you gave me that info, I know Sarah at Sunrift told me the delirius was squirely. I remembered someone else told me about the Delirius- Not that it was by any means bad- just that it lived the paddle up a bit.

Mike NRW and Lower G sound about my level. Martin, Martin and Steve I think will be there too, so that sounds like we have an impromptu armada-

I was thinking a Chattooga Winter or maybe new years armada. with a side trip to the Cartecay for the chili run. This might be escpecially nice for the northern paddlers.

I stayed with some boater talk folk at a nice cabin last year, and enjoyed some of Louies peppers. Sound interesting to anyone?
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Bill,

I don't mean to say that the Delirious is bad, I guess at 190 lbs I am probably just too heavy for it, what I meant to say is thast once I paddled boats that were actually as C1 like the Sith or Wheelboy, I realized how much of a compromise all the conversions actually are.

I just remembered about the contact cement I use to glue foam to plastic, here is the info:

Loctite Maximum Strength Headliner Adhesive part # 37312.

martin
Last edited by the great gonzo on Fri Jun 24, 2005 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NZMatt
Supporting Paddler

Delirious C1

Post by NZMatt »

I've never paddled one as a C1, but I did about 5 years ago as a kayak and I really liked the boat. I've seen several for sale as C1s, and nearly bought one. I think, as far as conversions go :) that it'd make an excellent C1 river running playboat for a lighter paddler. (FYI I'm 150lbs soaking wet in full gear). I did find it to be quite an edgy boat, but don't think I'd find that to be an issue any more (not after the Groove and Mastercut Acrobat) :)

Matt
NZMatt

Hmmm....new country, new rivers...-
Still not enough c-boaters....
billcanoes
CBoats Addict

Delirius

Post by billcanoes »

Hi Martin,

Agreed, I never heard the Delirius was bad. I previously really wanted to convert one. I just heard it was tippy.

Bill
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

The Delirious is actually excellent for one thing, to p.o. all the kayakers in a pool session when you throw endless ends do really long and effortless stalls 8) 8) 8) ...