Skinned knee---AARRGGHH!!!!

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

swriverstone
C Boater

Skinned knee---AARRGGHH!!!!

Post by swriverstone »

While hang gliding yesterday (my other sport), the wind switched on a landing approach and I bellied in, skinning the hades out of my knee in the process. AAARRRGGGHHH!!! Now I have a serious case of road rash. What could be worse for a C-boater? :(

I'm worried about paddling Saturday. Pis*es me off! Anyone had any experience with this? Any suggestions for a bandage (or combination of bandages, gauze, tape---anything!) that will let me get through the day in my boat without shredding my knee further?

Scott
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Neosporin

Post by Sir Adam »

Neosporin (assuming it's not TOO bloody) then gauze and a wrap of some sort. The neosporin (or other anti-biotic cream) will not only fight off the stuff that lives in your boat knee-pads, but also keep yoru skin supple and flexible so it's less painful.

Either way...OUCH :oops:
Keep the C!
Adam
C1Dub
C Guru

Post by C1Dub »

Liquid bandage, gauze pad and then cover the whole pad in Duck Tape to keep it on while paddling. Just make sure to remove it all and let the air in after your done paddling. I've seen this work on both elbows and knees. The liquid bandage helps keep any of the water bacteria out for the day and the gauze pad just gives you a little extra padding when you kneel on it.

Good luck,

Natalie
swriverstone
C Boater

Post by swriverstone »

By "liquid bandage" do you mean something like the Curad "spray-on" bandage? If so, YIKES! :) I tried some of that last night...sprayed it on, and WHOOAA did it HURT! I was literally doubled over in agony for a good minute---felt like my knee was in FLAMES! :-?

I don't want to miss paddling, so I'll try something---at a minimum, the bandage and duct tape sounds like an option!

Scott
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Couple thoughts.....

Post by PAC »

There are water proof bandages that are large and will work in most cases (might have to double up on them) - as will those options noted above.

I'd use the large water proof bandaid over the liquid bandaid. Bring back up bandages and some betatine solution w/ gaze pads for clean up during and after paddling as well.

Or follow the directions in the posts above then borrow my shredder and take a friend with you (get Holly approval). Easier on the knee, bonus points with the friend and paddling a shredder still requires use of a T-grip (yes you can surf, catch eddies and scare the crap out of kaykers with them) - so it sort of counts! :wink:

The nice thing is that it's already in the vehcile for paddling the Lower Yough on Sunday with the boy! So it that option works it will be avialable! Just let me know when you get there. 8)

Oh and I'm glad to hear that you only skinned the knee and were able to walk away from the landing! :o
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
C1Dub
C Guru

Post by C1Dub »

Okay if you don't like the liquid bandage try covering the wound with a thick layer of vasilene to keep the germs out before putting the gauze on. If the wound is still unscabbed you don't want the gauze to stick to it cause it really hurts when you pull it off. :(

See you Saturday,

Natalie
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

I'm going to paddle with a broken foot. So I say, just tough it out, buddy, you're a C-1er! :lol:

That or get some good drugs, the kind that don't make you sleepy. I'm not sure if they make any like that...
swriverstone
C Boater

Post by swriverstone »

Thanks for the good advice all. I realized what I have to do before anything else is keep my leg fully bent/folded for hours (not easy!) until a scab forms in the bent position. Otherwise, everytime I bend my leg the whole thing rips open---ouch!

Scott
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

If it's just the knee, add or subtract padding in the boat so that the injury is suspended. If it's the knee & shin you'll just have to be tough. Or you & Holly take PAC up on his offer & paddle the Shredder.
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

i heard from a nurse that the "second skin" bandages are very good for keeping scabs from forming. scabs are bad.
Larry
tom m
C Boater

Look for Tegaderm

Post by tom m »

I suspect this is the "second skin" referred to above. I've had good luck with these bandages in preventing infection and scab formation. Here is a link.
http://www.3m.com/us/home_leisure/nexca ... derm.jhtml
ohioboater
CBoats Addict

I can second Tegaderm

Post by ohioboater »

Tegaderm is amazing stuff for healing road rash--I used it a lot back in my bicycle road racing days. Much less pain, keeps the wound completely protected from both dirt and water, and heals in half the time.

Or I should say, it closes in half the time. I think total heal time is still about the same, you just don't have a crinkly scab on top for the last week or two. The trade off is that the fresh skin is very fragile for the two weeks or so after it first knits and stops bleeding/hurting. So it's very easy to rip the skin again by bumping into things. One teammate had some road rash that took forever to heal because of this - he kept bumping into tables and such, and the fragile scar tissue would tear open.
Alden
CBoats Addict

boatin

Post by Alden »

wow, you hang glide? that sounds like fun. one of my other boater friends does that in NH. I figure that you are only young and stupid once (and I'm hoping that I will not wake up from this daze in which I found myself ever since I hit my head while reaching for my calculator during an advanced math class at MIT a few years and many waterfalls ago . . . ) No, but seriously, that sounds awesome. I want to try that some day (the hangliding, not calculator thing).

Although, owing to my sympathies, I will of course, have to use only one wing while flying . . .
Alden