Armada questions and updates...

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Armada questions and updates...

Post by PAC »

I looked at the map and the Leigh is a bit of a drive for us so we (my boy and I) will most likely paddle the Lower Yough on Sunday. I have talked to the folks at the park and they will "work with us" as to launch times if others C1 boaters show up. FYIY I'll most likely be taking the boy in a shredder that day. If others can let me know as to their interest I'll try to get things firmer with the SP folks.

Also Keith backlund emailed me "I'd like to send 3 KB Sticks paddles with you on Saturday. Any idea about popular lengths?" These will be straight wood blades with carbon shafts. Let me know of interest.

Paul C.
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

54" to 60"?
swriverstone
C Boater

Post by swriverstone »

If I can get out of work, I may head down to the Potomac Friday afternoon---but it's doubtful, as I'm TERRIFIED of DC-area Friday afternoon rush-hour traffic! If you're planning to drive to the North Branch Friday evening (seriously) don't even think of leaving until about 8pm---paddle 'til dark, then take your time eating dinner...and then leave! (Or you'll be screwed by standstill traffic!)

I'll plan on getting to the North Branch takeout (or put-in) by 10am. I have the following C-1s...
- Stealth (slalom boat)
- Zealot (which I may paddle)
- Big Momma Helen (a slalom C-2 scaled down to a C-1, great for big paddlers, but leaks---sponge bailing required!)
- Perception Slasher (plastic slalom boat)

If anyone's interested in paddling any of these, let me know. (I may not feel like throwing them all on the truck!).

My girlfriend Holly is coming too...she's s relatively new boater, so I don't know if she'll run the NB or not. I suggested that she (and/or other beginning boaters) might consider meeting us at the Blue Hole (big pool with cliffs) and paddling the lower half of the run, which is considerably easier than the upper section (the class 3 drop can be sneaked or bypassed around the island).

Scott
Longboatin
CBoats Addict

Yough on Sunday

Post by Longboatin »

PAC
Beins that the Youghs the Longboat posse's home crik, we'll definitely be there on Sunday. C'ya there.

Easy
pevans
C Boater

Post by pevans »

On Saturday morning, are we meeting at the Bloomington wastewater plant,
http://www.americanwhitewater.org/rivers/id/2430

or at the Barnum Whitewater area
http://www.americanwhitewater.org/rivers/id/4029

I have seen reference to both.
And if it is the wastewater plant, does anyone have more detailed directions, preferable from I-68.

Thanks,
Paul
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

I'm not the coordinator - if I was this would be really screwed up! Anyway.... usually we informally meet at the Red brick building next to the Savage and then head to the water treatment plant. That is the plan I'm going with right now and I know I'll have at least one other vehicle in our group!
KNeal I know you still have my cell number (yes I saw you called last Sat and I'm sorry I never called you back :oops: - but you did well in the Cheat race I have been told).
If others want to PM cell numbers to each that might work - unless you don't have one (hint - C1Dub :wink: )! Hope that helps!
Paul I'll PM my number to you shortly!
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
swriverstone
C Boater

Post by swriverstone »

Hmm...I've been paddling the NB for years and have no clue where the water treatment plant is!

In my experience, people always pull over first at that red brick building (on the right, just across the Savage River bridge), then figure out the shuttles, then leave a few cars at the takeout, then head for the put-in.

In any case, it's easy to find people! We should just all pick a (more or less) "official" put-on time...11am? Noon? (To allow time for all the gearing up, conversation, boat-swapping, rubbernecking, etc.)

Scott