Crazy or good idea?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

billcanoes
CBoats Addict

Crazy or good idea?

Post by billcanoes »

I just got a SuperFly Hull with no outfitting. When I had my spanish Fly I wished the was a way to carry stuff easily in the boat.

Anyway, thinking about outfitting the Hull. I thought about buying the $25.00/gal foam, and using it (with air bags, or other option to hollow out the mold". Then I thought about caulking 3mm plastic into a top groove and using a latch sea kayak system for internal access.

Would this work, would it be too heavy or am I just being foolish?

Bill
DP

Post by DP »

I think you'll find that that stuff will obsorb water and break down into pieces.

Was that one of the infamous "new" SuperFlys from the spring splash?
billcanoes
CBoats Addict

SuperFly

Post by billcanoes »

Yep it sure was, the plastic looks terrible, but it will be a good alternative at least for me -till the fatboys come in- I had a Spanish FLy, which I liked a lot, but I hardly used it, so this should work for the few times I will paddle it.

Bill

Post by Guest »

That liquid foam produces an open cell product, and has little, if any, use in outfitting that I know of. It seems to act like a sponge when submerged in water. The end product would just keep getting heavier with every use on the river.

$25 a gallon was the price twenty years ago, and it took two gallons (one of each of the the two-part mix) to get started. Volume control during expansion was also a problem. Repeated applications would result in uneven consistency and air gaps. The product seemed to promise a lot in terms of ease of use and as a quick solution to "foaming out" a boat. But it just never seemed to work that way in practice.

Even when working with plugs, the stuff has very limited application. I think the building/construction industry finds it good for insulation that is not exposed to water, but I am not even sure about that.

Paddlers just have not found it to be useful, and it has been around for two or three decades. I don't know anybody that has used it twice!
billcanoes
CBoats Addict

Post by billcanoes »

Thanks for the feed back I'll scrap the wet mush idea.

Bill