kevlar rival--any feedback?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

danab
C Boater

kevlar rival--any feedback?

Post by danab »

I've been reading all the recent flurries comparing Rival to outrage. As owner of royalex outrage, and what little I have heard and know about royalex rival--I'd tend to go along with most comments. That is pretty they seem to be pretty similar boats but outrage a bit snappier, probably mostly due to increased rocker. Both admittedly being outperformed by other harder chined boats. I am curious about width specs between the two. I wonder if they really are a full 2 inches different in width? I hear some complaints about cross strokes in Rival due to width, but it's listed the same as Rhumba, which actuall feels pretty narrow to me--Go figure.

Due to shoulder injuries and just tiring the heavy feel of the royalex outrage, I am thinking of a new boat. Will be sticking to easier class III so I can continue paddling, so don't need a super hot performer. Outrage has been fine for me and turns pretty well, just so heavy. So I'm wondering if kevlar rival by Millbrook might be the way to go. Kevlar outrage is too expensive. Any comments? Was thinking that Rival in kevlar may make up for any negatives in snappiness as noted in previous posts.

I like the Rhumba from little I've been in it in a pool, but don't think I will need all that rocker on both ends and can imagine it to be significanlty worse than a rival in any kind of wind. Amazing though how really easy that boat is to propel forward and straight.

Thanks

dana
kaz

Post by kaz »

Kevlar = speed, maneuverability, snappy turns, powerful strokes, quick corrections, lightness on and off the water, easy to repair, stiffer than abs, etc, etc.
JKaz
danab
C Boater

jkaz just sent email to you on subject

Post by danab »

Jkaz,

Wondering if you got my email in regards to question?
kaz

Post by kaz »

Hi danab,
Sorry, what email?
Try johnkaz@gis.net
JKaz
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

Hi, Dana. A buddy of mine got a kevlar Rival from Kaz, so I guess I gotta go ahead and say some nice things about him 'cuz the boat is a really nice departure from royalex. The boat, fully outfitted, weighs under 30 lb. (that's FULLY outfitted :P ) and is SO much easier to carry. Performance is great. Because the boat is so light, it accelerates a LOT faster than his other plastic boats (Whitesell Descender, Mohawk Shaman), which means he can nail just about any eddy he spots. We trimmed the boat about 1 inch back from dead center and it is real dynamic during fronts surfs and can spin fairly decently for a boat that long.

We typically attain the rapids here in Richmond on the James River and the boat performs at least as equally as everything else--and better. I do get to school him on straight climbing sections and sprinting downriver (when I'm in my slalom Zealot or Maverick 8) ), but the boat handles really well, even in really squirrelly waters with boils and all kinds of cross currents (read: a very stable boat).

The only downside to the kevlar Rival is the need to be clean on runs and not bash the hull against the rocks and other obstacles. :x

Well, I'm done saying nice things about Kaz, though I have been wanting to plug the kevlar Rival since Mike got the boat. He REALLY enjoys it.

KNeal
kaz

Post by kaz »

Kneal,
You can say some bad things too, it's ok.
JK
racer x

boatin

Post by racer x »

Kaz loves kevlar -- in fact, his house is made of it! Every night he falls asleep to the sweet smell of resin. And it's so light that whenever he needs to move to a new city, he can just take his house with him. No wonder people call him "the Turtle." The nice part is - whenever you need a new shelf in the bedroom or something - just glass it in, man. Easy as pie.

There is one problem with glass. Let's just say - don't make the mistake, as Jim S. once nearly did, of trying to light up a Cuban in Kaz's kevlar living room - oh NO . . . !! BAD idea!

Alden

PS - And those twins in the Budweiser comercials . . . they've been in the kevlar kastle! Right Kaz . . . ?