Apalloosa seat by beluga

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Scal
Pain Boater

Apalloosa seat by beluga

Post by Scal »

what are they like?
Last edited by Scal on Mon Apr 19, 2004 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One God, one world, one love, One paddle
dixie_boater
C Guru

Beluga Apaloosa Saddle Info

Post by dixie_boater »

This saddle is a mini-cell, bulkhead-type with Yakima foot braces. Includes a water bottle holder at the rear of the saddle. I wish the water bottle holder was in the front where it would be easier to access while you're in the boat. Saddle comes pre-shaped and requires little sanding with dragonskin to get a custom fit. I have one in my Dagger Caption and find it very comfortable. Go to their website http://www.belugaworld.com/ (finally online!) for more details. Before buying one try a bulkhead set-up in a Pyranha or Esquif (both manufacturers have factory set-ups). Some folks like thigh straps better than bulkhead saddles and you should definitely be sure which is better for your paddling style before investing your dollars. I prefer a bulkhead as I find it easier to roll an open boat with a rigid set-up than one with thigh straps. Also, it's easier to hop back in the boat and get ready to paddle quick without having to get thigh straps in place. This is especially handy when you're in a micro eddy and have to peel out quick to get on your line. That said I will point out the drawback to bulkhead set-ups. To quote Paul Mason, they have no emergency release. Be aware of the danger of being pushed back against the stern deck during a broach or stern-first vertical pin. From this position it is impossible to slip your feet off the foot pegs. I personally have never experienced this, but have a friend who did in a Perception bulkhead saddle. When you're upside down try to keep yourself from getting pushed against the stern deck. Tuck forward and roll fast! If you do swim it's easy to get your feet off the pegs as long as you are not pushed against the stern deck.

I'm sure my comments on the drawback of bulkhead saddles will draw criticism from some of the posters on this forum. I believe it important to tell you the many good points and the one drawback of bulkhead-type saddles. I have used bulkhead saddles for close to twenty years without any problem. I paddle lots of class III-IV (and occasional V) water in open boats. I am more confident with my roll and low-brace recovery in these saddles.
Scal
Pain Boater

Post by Scal »

Thanks for your reply. Great information. I'll probably try it out first before I buy. You've address my greatest concern, getting out if you're pinned:( .

Thanks again
One God, one world, one love, One paddle
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

appaloosa

Post by sbroam »