Extending Paddle Dilemna

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

msims
CBoats Addict

Extending Paddle Dilemna

Post by msims »

I finally got my climax paddle a couple weeks ago, long story short, the paddle is about 2-3" short for my OC. I have two options. I'm 6'5" and the paddle is 58" - I really havent tried this paddle yet w/ my boat but intend to soon.

I could keep the paddle for a C1 that I really hope to get this spring. (At this point between the Inazone 255 and Finkenmeister)
*Is 58" too short for these boats w/ someone my height?

I could extend the paddle length (Could prove messy)
I wanted people's thoughts on this option. The shaft is wood. I'm assuming that I would have to get a carbon sleeve to fit over the existing shaft and dowel extenstion. Any other ideas? Dont bother? I don't know, esp if the materials and time are going to cost me any more than 20$ I'd rather buy a new paddle. ;-)

Thanks, Mike.
-- Cya
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

I'm the same height (6' 5") but I'm probably shorter of leg and longer of body than you. I use a 61.5 Clinch River curved blade/wood shaft in my open boat, and I use 61" curved blade slalom paddles in my C-1s.

I doubt that I could be happy with a 58" paddle in C-1, but try it and see.

There are no really pretty ways to lengthen a wooden shaft. I did lengthen one of my slalom paddles by cutting the wooden plug flush, gluing two relatively small dowels into the plug, attaching the dowels into the T-grip at the desired length, and then building up the region along the two dowels with cloth and with epoxy thickened with cut glass fibers and microballoons. I also added some fine sawdust for coloring. This extension has proved quite strong. The extension looks pretty good also, but might not look as good on a wood shaft.

Whether you can apply this approach to your wood shaft paddle depends on the diameter of the wood at the top of the shaft.

As you mentioned, you can also get a piece of carbon shaft sleeve of the right size, glass it over the end of the wood shaft, and put a plug with a tenon plug on it. You might want a glass or Kevlar band over the bottom end of the shaft sleeve.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Try it for a while?

Post by sbroam »

While I'm not as tall as you, I am "long of torso" - I've told my parents that if they had given me legs of the right length, I'd be nearly as tall as my "little" brother - he's 6'5", I'm 5'11". Maybe that is not entirely true, but I am pretty "tall in the boat" and have long arms (I wear a 35" sleeve). Until about a year and a half ago, I used a 58" paddle and thought I wanted a longer one.

Maxwell talked me into trying a shorter paddle, I hope he does not mind my posting this from an e-mail :
I have a suggestion for you that you may cringe at initially. What about ordering a shorter paddle? When I started paddling, I used a 58" paddle as well. I gradually moved shorter, and I am currently using a 53" paddle. ( I'm 6'1", with a 7inch saddle) You probably don't want to make such a big jump right away, but I would suggest something like a 54.5" or 55". The biggest advantage to a short paddle is that it makes for tremendously quicker strokes. Some will argue that a longer paddle gives you more leverage, which is true, but a short stick allows you to go from onside to offside sooo much faster. After using the short stick on class 4 rivers, I wouldn't even consider going back to a longer paddle. Case in point: Joe Stuemple, who is a kick-butt C-1er who hrows arial blunts and also paddles class 5 creeks, is 6 feet tall, and he uses a 51" paddle! I am a big supporter of shorter paddles, and I think that a 54" or 55" would be a great choice for you.
I got a 55" paddle and have since shortened 2 of my other paddles and ordered another of the same length. My shoulders feel great, my stroke rate is up, and cross strokes are easier. There was a brief period of adjustment where stern pries felt weaker, but some of that was due to going from a flat blade to a spoon. I usually paddle C-1, but find I also like it in the OC-1 and the "big ole boat" with my kids.

So, I'd say give it a chance, maybe a couple of weeks before trying to lengthen it - you might find you like it.

Scott
msims
CBoats Addict

Post by msims »

Thanks, guys, I appreciate the feedback. I'm currently using a 62" paddle, and last summer when i was paddling fairly frequently my onside shoulder was getting pretty dam sore. One time I remebered catching an eddy and my paddle stuck in the water pretty firmly as i came in, and I remembered thinking "wow, that must be what it feels like to hang from Monkey bars with one arm" -ouch- I broke this same shoulder mountain biking about 10 yrs ago as well.

But I digress, youguys have to stop talking about being long-torsoed and short legged .. I keep getting images of Hank Hill's father on King of the Hill, who got his legs blown off in Vietnam by a grenade, but they were able to salvage them.. the only problem he lost about 6" of his legs (for those of you who don't know King of the Hill, it's a cartoon ;-)

I think i will try the shorter length for a while.

Thanks again.

ps... I was just talking about this - if I WERE to lengthen, would using kevlar or fiberglass matter at all? I've not worked with kevlar, so I don't know if it's any trickier.
-- Cya
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

thought...

Post by PAC »

Check some of the other posts on paddles ie
http://www.cboats.net/cforum/viewtopic. ... ght=paddle
But I think you might actually like a shorter paddle - at least give it a couple tries then let us know your thoughts. I went to a much shorter paddle (OC and C) a couple years ago and really found that shorter isn't all that bad. But then I'm not the best to give my thoughts on paddles. I've been known to use the high tech race paddles backwards. :roll:
Once you give it a test then you can worry about lenghtening, or maybe shortening! :wink:

Good luck...
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
NZMatt
Supporting Paddler

Paddle length

Post by NZMatt »

I'd also definitely say try it. I am 5'10" with a 31" inseam and use a 56" paddle in my OC (9.75" saddle - hey it's how it came and it's comfy! :) Maybe that's why I always think of the Detonator as tippy :lol: ) and a 54" in a C1 (6.5" saddle). I've used longer paddles in the past and laways found my shoudlers would ache. If you've been having that problem, definitely try a shorter paddle. If it keeps you paddling pain free for many more years, then the brief adjustment period would be worth it!

Matt
NZMatt

Hmmm....new country, new rivers...-
Still not enough c-boaters....
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

An alternative to using a shorter paddle for quicker motion, or to reduce shoulder loading, is to use a lighter paddle with a blade that is the right size for your preferred stroke rate, bracing style, and rolling style. I am using slalom paddles in my C-1s, and I have no difficulty with quick strokes. Of course the "real" slalom racers use rather long paddles for their own relatively short stature, so long paddles can't be to much of a handicap, as long as they're light.

Regarding the note about working with Kevlar or glass in a paddle lengthening project, there is no particular reason to use Kevlar unless you like its pretty gold color. Glass is easier to handle. Just make sure that you don't place glass in a place where wear may expose fibers to cause irritation.
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

Hey Mike,

If 58" is too short for you, i'll take it :wink:

See ya

martin
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau