C-1 Carbon Fiber HIP BLOCKS (links with photos)

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Trevor Soileau

C-1 Carbon Fiber HIP BLOCKS (links with photos)

Post by Trevor Soileau »

hi,

i recently outfitted a new VAJDA racing C-1, in the process i spent the extra time and designed molds for carbon fiber hipblocks..

they are made of carbon and kevlar, with epoxy resin. they can be glassed, screwed, or riveted into the deck under the cockpit rim. i glassed mine in, and they work quite well...it give you about a 6" x 2-1/2" surface to glue minicell foam to for a custom fit. they are contoured and your spray skirt will fit easily over them. gives you really good edge control.

the widest part of the hipblocks are 1-1/2" wide

i dont have a plastic c-1, but im pretty sure you could bolt these to your plastic c-1 and get the same effect.

i have 4 pairs ready to sell...2 carbon fiber, 1 orange-red carbon/kevlar, and 1 regular carbon/kevlar

im asking $50 plus $5 shipping for a set....

the link below has about 9 photos of the "mad dog" hipblocks installed and uninstalled

http://www.auburn.edu/~mcgeebr/New_Photos/

if you're interested or have any questions, let me know.

Trevor Soileau (D.C area)
email: whitewater109@yahoo.com
cell: 256-415-0109

for you slalom or wildwater racers i also have a new Mad Dog composite competition helmet, which is similar in size to the old plastic ace helmet...without the earflap

:D :o
Space Canoe
C Guru

Post by Space Canoe »

Trevor;
they look great! Too bad I'm busted after the holidays....
Ric
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

Trevor --- beautiful work, although I cannot benefit from it. My hips are so wide that I put in simple L risers right at the rim of my Zealot, and just barely had room for a little foam. And also, your extenders would be no problem for the small-footed, but I would not be able to extract my size 15 feet easily enough.

Younger guys who seldom flip and seldom miss a roll can put up with a lot. When I bought my Zealot from Adam Clawson, he was using a simple wooden thwart for a seat, and I could not for the life of me imaging how he extracted his feet in an emergency.
TrevorSoileau

Post by TrevorSoileau »

g2d.

thanks for the input...yeh, the zealot cockpits are pretty small compared to the new European racing c-1s today...my last boat was zealot, and my new VAJDA Nereus's cockpit is much much bigger.

infact i have about 1-1/2" of foam added to the carbon hipblocks to make a nice fit, but ive got about a 29" waist. im 5'9" and dont have any problems getting my feet out or even hitting the carbon pieces.

anyway, thanks for the remarks, and if you ever get a boat with a larger cockpit let me know.

thanks, trevor
aldenb

boatin

Post by aldenb »

hey trevor,
ill vouch for the blocks, they are pretty cool, i paddled the boat and i didnt have any trouble getting in or out or anything, as i recall

the one problem i did have is getting my skirt on that huge cockpit! i wonder why these european cockpits are getting so big? doesn't do much for me, just makes outfitting harder and getting my skirt on impossible!
take care
Alden

Post by Guest »

hey..... i have one of your old red and black carbon fiber helmets. i use it when i am playing in big stuff cause it doesnt suck up much water. it makes seeing after you have been under water much easier. a friend gave it to me, and i was wondering where it came from. i guess now i know. cool! --- joey
Trevor

carbon hipblocks for c-1's

Post by Trevor »

Hey,

just wanted to thank the recent buyers of my "mad dog" carbon fiber hipblocks!! i still have a few sets in carbon, carbon/kevlar, kevlar, and red carbon/kevlar....with new installation instructions!

carbon hipblocks are also available through david hearn's new website: http://www.daveyhearn.com

thanks again,
trevor soileau
whitewater109@yahoo.com
jenniferhearn

Mad Dog Hip Blocks

Post by jenniferhearn »

Davey Hearn & Maximum Whitewater Performance are pleased to feature Trevor Soileau's composite Hip Blocks at http://www.daveyhearn.com/MWP%20Gear/Re ... itting.htm
Please visit our website at www.daveyhearn.com for more whitewater racing info.