Looking for a GOOD C1 for Creeking

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Bruce Farrenkopf
CBoats Addict

Post by Bruce Farrenkopf »

:) A recommendation is requested for a kayak that would make a good C1 conversion for creeking. I've paddled a Cascade in the past, and liked it, but needed to find a shorter creek boat (the Cascade is 11 feet long). So I have been using a Perception Stikine for the past two years out here in California with limited success, and need to find a new boat that will improve on the Stikine's performance. I also need to improve my own performance, but that's another story. Bascically, I want a boat that is going to increase my chances out there.
I am currently considering the Wavesport Y, Prijon Embudo and Riot Big Gun (not necessarily in that order). Would appreciate some input on these boats as well as some alternatives.
Thanks for any help you can provide.
SYOTR,
Bruce Farrenkopf
creek1r
Pain Boater

BigGun...

Post by creek1r »

works well for 175#. Good it tight tech. creeks and good in bigger river running uses. Pyranha H2 / H3 series boats work well. For really big guy Pyranha G3 would be great. You need to tell weight as it will affect which boat will work.
Bryant
dillonpro
Pain Boater

creeker

Post by dillonpro »

Bruce,
Tell us more about your weight and height. You may want to add the Liquid Logic Gus to the list depending on your size. I just bought one :D and I love it. I recently bought a Y but at 205# and a 6'3" inseam and big thighs, I didn't feel I could spread my knees to the comfortable stable position I like them as the hull tapers fast as it goes toward the bottom of the boat. It felt narrow and the cockpit was pushing into my thighs sitting on my 6" pedestal. Some C-1 boaters like them but it just wasn't for me. I just felt bad karma in the Y. Just my $.02.
LarryD
aldenb

boats

Post by aldenb »

you definitely want a wide boat. the necky blunt would be an excellent choice, as would be the Y, I imagine, although sounds like that was too narrow for some. the liquid logic huck would be perfect for a c-1, and so i imagine the bigger gus would be even more stable. the pyranha H3 is a very nice wide boat, that would be killer. I think a micro 250 would get the job done too -- i have a micro 240 and that's perhaps a little too narrow and tipply. if you're built like me (as in, like a marathoner) the Dagger GTX is also unimaginably sweet -- very soft and forgiving and light and nimble. of course, it's probably too small for an overnighter on the middle f of the feather, but that's why you save your old cascade, right?
out like trout,
Alden
dillonpro
Pain Boater

creek boat...

Post by dillonpro »

As said above, I didn't feel the Y was wide enough for me for my knee spread but lots of C-1 paddlers love them. It was my long legs and thick(muscular :lol: ) thighs which were tight against the cockpit. If your deminsions are a bit smaller it may be just right for you. Many of the CBoaters described the Y as a great hole buster having the ability to punch through the waves and holes. I bought mine last week off of Boater Talk Gear Swap for $400 and I'm going to put it back on this week at the same price. It's the best price Y on the page. The boat is three years old, has the usual surface scratches but nothing bad. I can ship Forward Air to major city terminals for $50. Good luck in finding a great creeker.
LarryD
mshelton
CBoats Addict

Post by mshelton »

Alanb, How big are you? I've been thinking about a C1 and am looking at the GTX for a conversion. I'm 6'5" 200lb and this would be my first decked boat and would like to get something that will be as 'user friendly' and comfortable as possible for a first C1. Actually does anyone else know anything about a GTX conversion for a full-grown person or another boat that would be good for my size?

Thanks
Marshall
James
C Guru

Post by James »

I`m in a wavesport Y at 175 lbs. good boat, not the best primary stability until you are driving the boat hard. I am pretty satisfied with it for now. Does punch holes pretty well and is forgiving on drops when you don`t boof as well as planned!

I can see for a heavier boater it would not feel that stable. If I were a bigger guy, I`d check out the gus, the skreem (if you can find one) and the largest H3.
dillonpro
Pain Boater

GTX as C-1

Post by dillonpro »

Marshall,
I have been paddling a GTX conversion this year and it has performed very well. I'm 6'3, 205#. The boat has plenty of room.
I paddled it on the Arkansas River in Colorado and just got back from the Ocoee this past Labor Day Weekend. The Ocoee was running at 2K so I got to test it on some pretty big water. The boat is stable, surfs well, it carves into eddies great. On the negative side,
I have been stern squirted several times when hitting large class 3 to 4 waves but leaning forward and powering over and through the wave has helped counteract that problem. I have been flipped a few times in boogie water but the boat rolls up nicely.
This boat is high volume and is great for big water and good for creeking but vertical play comes hard. I have yet to pull off a good stern squirt on an eddie line but I hear it is possible with good technique and a strong line. Overall I love the boat.
I just bought two boats over the weekend. A Liquid Logic Gus Creeker and a WS SuperEZ. I'm hoping the Gus will do all the good creeking features of the GTX plus punch through the big boogie water better than the GTX. If it does, I will only then let the GTX go. I'm really high on the boat.
My $.02 worth,
LarryD
Timzjatl
C Guru

Post by Timzjatl »

you might conscider the H2/H3 in the 255 variety. I am 150 and I have a H2 245 and love it. It punches holes great, surfaces well after drops, and I can even stern squirt it with perfect technique. Most of the creekboats that are popular right now are really good, so it's be hard to go too wrong as long as you get one large enough for your weight.
Larry-
I think I caught a glimpse of you on the ocoee... I was there sunday and monday paddling my new lime green vibe....

Tim
mshelton
CBoats Addict

Post by mshelton »

Thanks all for the info. dillonpro, could you keep me in mind if you decide to sell your GTX in the near future.
aldenb

gtx

Post by aldenb »

oh man, i am entirely jealous of anyone who is paddling a GTX. That's cool that it's a good boat at 205 lbs too! I'm only 150, so I wasn't sure, but sounds like even at your weight it's pretty bomber.

Of course, they don't make them new anymore, but the GT 8.1 (the largest size -- whatever that is) is the same as the GTX. Although if you can find a GTX it's probably cheaper.

Oh man, I want one!! Anyone want to buy a used 240??
happy boating,
Alden
Bruce Farrenkopf
CBoats Addict

Post by Bruce Farrenkopf »

:D Thanks everybody for the advice on a Creek C1. I'm 155 lbs and 5'9''. Anybody had any experience with the Riot Big Gun?
Timzjatl
C Guru

Post by Timzjatl »

H2/H3 245... you won't be disappointed
Tim
James
C Guru

Post by James »

I`d watch out for the first generation riot big guns on the used market (plastic issue). Newer ones are likely fine. I haven`t paddled it, but one C boater in the area uses one and likes it.
creek1r
Pain Boater

BigGun

Post by creek1r »

I've had mine for 1 1/2 years. if I were to break it, I'd get another one. I have expedition model with hatch and sealed rear compartment. Have to drive it - does not like lazy paddling. Fast for length and quick - surfs fair. Feels like small OC-1 the way it stays on top of waves. 5-8 175#.